SLI/Crossfire Memory Difference

laguerre

[H]ard|Gawd
I browsed a bit, but didn't get a definitive answer. There are many vendors offering higher memory versions of a video card. If someone owned a 1gb 285 and purchased a 2gb 285 could you SLI them, and get 2gb goodness out of them? Is the memory set by the lowest common denominator, or by the primary video card. I'm not sure how SLI works in that effect, is SLI/Crossfire two video cards working as one, or one video card able to offload additional tasking to the second video card?

I'm curious about upgradeability. Would it ever pay to purchase a higher memory version of your current video card and SLI/crossfire them?

Thanks, too easy I suppose. Kinda seems like it makes higher memory versions of video cards an even less viable option. It seems silly to purchase a higher memory version of a card after the original one has been out for 6months, unless the original is being seriously handicapped.

http://www.slizone.com/page/slizone_faq.html

http://ati.amd.com/technology/crossfire/faq.html

Everything you need to know.

Short answer, all cards will be set to the performance level of the slowest card, including memory amount, clock speeds and memory speeds.
Thats not a correct sumup of SLI in anything exept the memoryamount, on 790i/X58 the mastercard/masterslot set what performance it will have, ie. OC card as master then the slower/vanilla will running under OC to meet the mastercards speed so the rule is to have the slower as master or chech if the slower is capable to meet the OC cards speed without problems.
This is the way it works or my previous 790i, previous X58 and current X58 have a big flaw with i know it dont have.

That's odd. Seems like a rather dangerous way to do it if your other cards are suddenly automatically OC'ed, especially for people who might not know about this. Do you have any links with this information?

At any rate, the outcome is the same; the slowest/worst card determines the maximum clock speeds of all the cards in the setup.

I have no link on it, just a od combo of 1xEVGA280GTX vanilla and 1-2-3xEVGA280GTX SC on 790i and two different X58 boards and what sets the speed. I dont know if this apply for 180.xx+ driver to as i dont own the 280 Vanilla anymore after 180.xx was leaked/released and Precision now can control different cards at there own.

Back