SLI - Old School Baby!!!!

Brian48

Limp Gawd
Finally got around to building my legacy box with good old (well, old anyway) Win98SE! Dug out the beloved Creative 12mb Voodoo2 SLI and stuck 'em in there. Woot, it worked on first try.

old_school.jpg

Now, I'm gonna spend the next day or so reinstalling all the old games that got me started on this hobby, GLQuake, Quake2, Forsaken, even G-Police :D

OK, how many old farts in here remember seeing this for the first time?
Shot0000.jpg

The rest of the stuff is about as old as I can find it. Unfortunately, none of my friends had a PII machine that they were throwing away (actually, they've already chucked them out).

Specs:
AMD Sempron 2200
Epox EP-8RDA3G nForce2 Ultra
512mb Crucial PC2100
128mb R8500 (still not a bad card by the way for movies)
Creative 12mb V2 SLI 'natch
Turtle Beach Santa Cruz

This is about as slow as I could gather as far as old parts go. I really with I still had my old Abit BH6+C300a (o/c 450mhz) right now.

I bet you get some high FPS with that sempron setup, looks good though!

I got 3 CL voodoo2 12mb's (2 in SLI), they seem easier to get ahold of now a days over monster3d voodoo 2's.

I got a old K62-450 with ram and jetway mobo i'd sell you, but its really gonna kill any newer glide gaming experience over what you got now.

BTW, what voodoo driver version is that?

My Voodoo info shows up a bit funky compared to yours but forget the version atm.

I ran a sli V2 8mb setup.....
And yes, I remember that shot.

I bet you get some high FPS with that sempron setup, looks good though!

I got 3 CL voodoo2 12mb's (2 in SLI), they seem easier to get ahold of now a days over monster3d voodoo 2's.

I got a old K62-450 with ram and jetway mobo i'd sell you, but its really gonna kill any newer glide gaming experience over what you got now.

BTW, what voodoo driver version is that?

My Voodoo info shows up a bit funky compared to yours but forget the version atm.

Yeah, the 2200+ Sempron is overkill for this rig, but it didn't cost me anything. I think we might have an old PII350 at work. I'm gonna try and talk the network guy into giving it to me since it's so ancient and we are doing upgrades anyway.

I'm using the last official set that 3dfx released. The funky text issue is caused by a more recent version of two files "msvcrt.dll" and "Riched20.dll" installed on your machine. If you reinstall the drivers again, this time allowing the older files to overwrite the newer ones, this should solve your problem.

**EDIT: Actually, I believe it's only the "Riched20.dll" file that you need to keep original. Not the other one.

This one does.. I remember thinking how awesome it looked.. For the time it was..

My legacy box has a problem with running both of my VII's in sli.. Irq conflicts.. But one VII works fine, and is good enough for the few glide only games.. A geforce handles the rest of my legacy dx/ogl gaming needs....

HELL YEAH.....that was a killer first time experience in gaming, pretty damn good for that time. The glide graphics were so fantastic at that point in time.

I have my original old Voodoo1 4mb pci in the closet, just waiting to go into some sort of classic rig, I wish I could find an old Gateway P166 chassis, which was my first PC ever. I was ecstatic when I overclocked it to a P200 by setting a jumper on the mobo to a higher setting!

Shot0000.jpg

Shot0000.jpg

The rest of the stuff is about as old as I can find it. Unfortunately, none of my friends had a PII machine that they were throwing away (actually, they've already chucked them out).

Specs:
AMD Sempron 2200
Epox EP-8RDA3G nForce2 Ultra
512mb Crucial PC2100
128mb R8500 (still not a bad card by the way for movies)
Creative 12mb V2 SLI 'natch
Turtle Beach Santa Cruz

This is about as slow as I could gather as far as old parts go. I really with I still had my old Abit BH6+C300a (o/c 450mhz) right now.

I remember that shot, but I bet I was the only one to see it using a Rendition Verite 2200 (at least before EPIC released the OpenGL patch in 1999).

Yup, I fired up THE FIRST GLide wrapper, the RRedline -> GLide wrapper called "BigRRed!"

All the first version of the wrapper could do was play Unreal, but it eventually became a fully-featured wrapper.

You can still download it here, but you can only use it if you have a Rendition card!

I have a p2 sitting in a box right now gathering dust.... I wish i could get it to you. :eek: but i'm lazy.

seeing 98 again is like touching another man's arm. its just wrong! nice to be reminded what old shit games looked like too. now I want dx10 titles more than ever. YAWN! :eek:

OMG, I can hear the music that goes with that opening scene...

I kept walking over to the edge to see the lake down below. I cant remember... do you die when you jump off the edge, or is that where you have to go?

I would have sworn Unreal looked better than that. Sentimentality, perhaps, is interfering with reality.

Yeah, the 2200+ Sempron is overkill for this rig, but it didn't cost me anything. I think we might have an old PII350 at work. I'm gonna try and talk the network guy into giving it to me since it's so ancient and we are doing upgrades anyway.

I'm using the last official set that 3dfx released. The funky text issue is caused by a more recent version of two files "msvcrt.dll" and "Riched20.dll" installed on your machine. If you reinstall the drivers again, this time allowing the older files to overwrite the newer ones, this should solve your problem.

**EDIT: Actually, I believe it's only the "Riched20.dll" file that you need to keep original. Not the other one.

Cool, found i was running FastVoodoo2 XP V4.0 Gold Edition mainly for quake 3, i'll have to see if i broke compatibility, i installed the latest reference drivers and all is looking good in the display panel, but didn't try any games as it was too late.

To Phelptwan: i think its abandonware now if you look around, not positive though. Its great to fire up and play as well is grim fandango for those point'n'click adventure games.

I seen SOF up at my local exchange a week ago for 5$ i might go pick it up.

What I'll always remember from that game is one of the best scripted moments in FPS history, when you go in that tunnel and all the lights start going out one by one, and you hear this monster coming toward you in the dark--classic! I also remember spending countless hours tweaking various settings to get a few more fps out of the opening fly-by :)

God, I loved unreal, best game on my memory, well that, and doom1/2 :) And Mark, in action it does look better, the static image doesn't do it any justice ;) Combover, I think eventually you do get down there, but I think I jumped once off that ledge and landed in water, and didn't die...

I just built an old school box also, seems to be a trend now

PIII 866
HP AGP board
512 PC133
ti4800
blaster live

will post some screenies later

cal me crazy, but i've been having great luck using both dosbox and glide wrappers where needed. other than that and seek out a few 3rd party patches and i've had no trouble running old games on my opty165. i have to set affinity sometimes, but whatever. even got duke nuke'em 3d with a windows patch!!!

Back