Slightly different RAID card swap.

Well they are both pci, but they use a different chipset so no it wont work.

The good news is that there's about a 90% chance that your RAID1 is readable on either side of the mirror. If you were RAID0, you're toast. ProTip, don't run RAID0 unless you don't care about things like this.

I was thinking more and is the raid 0 a windows software raid or the cards raid? If its windows then it will work for sure.

Its a hardware RAID card, I was hoping at this point to swap it with the same exact model, and restore the array (RAID0) If not, no big loss. I shall miss my collection of venture bros, sopranos, simpsons, southpark, etc, but its all rerippable.

Its a hardware RAID card, I was hoping at this point to swap it with the same exact model, and restore the array (RAID0) If not, no big loss. I shall miss my collection of venture bros, sopranos, simpsons, southpark, etc, but its all rerippable.

Those SI based cards are soft/hardware the cpu does the raid calculations but the card handles the rest. It aint a full blown raid card as it doesnt have the cpu onboard. Also how did you manage to break the sata connector off?

Those SI based cards are soft/hardware the cpu does the raid calculations but the card handles the rest. It aint a full blown raid card as it doesnt have the cpu onboard.

So how do you suppose a swap for the exact same make/model card will work? I've got my cold spares up and running, just waiting for a new RAID card, and waiting for the same one to come in stock, besides, it was a cheap (30 USD) 4 port SATA card. :D

I crushed the connectors by flipping the tower on its opposite side to screw in harddrives, and realized i set the card down right on a shoe on my floor. I have a messy work area and the 2 of the cards 4 ports are damaged beyond repair. Painful lesson.

So how do you suppose a swap for the exact same make/model card will work? I've got my cold spares up and running, just waiting for a new RAID card, and waiting for the same one to come in stock, besides, it was a cheap (30 USD) 4 port SATA card. :D

I crushed the connectors by flipping the tower on its opposite side to screw in harddrives, and realized i set the card down right on a shoe on my floor. I have a messy work area and the 2 of the cards 4 ports are damaged beyond repair. Painful lesson.

Well putting the case down on it would do it, Well since the cards so cheap its worth just buying the one thats almost the same.

hehe, i figured. Its a massive full tower ATX case, with a 2nd PSU ducttaped on the top. Had it over many years, started with a p2 450 in there. Cheap card's plastic around the connectors broke easily. Are more expensive (RocketRaid/Adaptec) card's built any better?

acctually.. i have had my raid 0 arrays survive (on sil3114 chipsets) in the past.. im not saying it will work, but i wouldnt just up and hose the data without trying.. just make sure the drives get plugged back into the right slots. (0a=0a, 1a=1a, 0b=0b, 1b=1b) if you plug them in, and it loads windows.. your golden.. :D

acctually.. i have had my raid 0 arrays survive (on sil3114 chipsets) in the past.. im not saying it will work, but i wouldnt just up and hose the data without trying.. just make sure the drives get plugged back into the right slots. (0a=0a, 1a=1a, 0b=0b, 1b=1b) if you plug them in, and it loads windows.. your golden.. :D

I dont have my system on it, thankfully, but yea, ive labeled the cables with a sharpie as well as wrote on the case the scheme, in case i ever unplugged em.

hehe, i figured. Its a massive full tower ATX case, with a 2nd PSU ducttaped on the top. Had it over many years, started with a p2 450 in there. Cheap card's plastic around the connectors broke easily. Are more expensive (RocketRaid/Adaptec) card's built any better?

Not if you step on them :p For raid 0, you probably won't see any difference.

mono price sells 24$ 4-port pci promise raid controllers.. i have 3, work amazing

Back