SMP Vista Woes

mwarps

Supreme [H]ardness
So I finally got the SMP installed as a service. But it refuses to start on its own (usefully anyway)..

I have a wireless adapter in this machine, and it doesn't tend to start until I'm logged in. So in effect, there is no network interface for the mpi / smpd to communicate over.

Do I need to get a hardwired connection, or is there something simpler?

(FAHlog just goes blank after it starts the core, says working and never does anything again)

If I stop the service after boot, and once the wireless is up, and restart the fah service, it works fine.

Any thoughts?

i dont know of any way off the top of my head, but maybe you could setup the service to start x minutes after you login, maybe using a scheduler w/ access to system services....that's my only thought

I've heard the SMP client is very very picky about internet connection, like people have lost WU because their internet went out or something. I would Guess that's why it's having a hard time starting.

So my processor usage has been pegged since last night when I posted last.. And the log file hasn't been accessed since :( This is really frustrating.

(Q6600 @ 3.2 (48hr orthos stable), Vista Business 64, 4GB, Asus P5K-E before anyone asks)

Might I suggest an adjustment on the power settings of your wireless NIC.

If at all possible make sure all power settings for your NIC are on…well…on. As in, don’t allow it to power down while not in use. It is entirely possible your particular NIC is set up to start late, or after boot but that’s doubtful. Grab another brand and try that to be sure, or borrow one.

If need be schedule F@H to start say 5 minuets into each boot session there by allowing the Folding client to see an active NIC on start.

And of course, no offence but I have to assume you have the client properly set up in Vista which is a bit different from XP. Pretty sure you already know that but it never hurts to ask.;)

One thing I've found out about running Folding on a VM on Linux is that its independent of the internet connection.
I can take my home network apart and the VM's keep chugging away giving me more points than if I was running the plain Windoze SMP client.

Down side is that on Vista, I need it to run with the driver signing set to off.
So its hit "F8" every time it boots to turn it off otherwise the VMWare server does not start right.

Luck .......... :D

I don't have any wireless connections, but I will offer my observations. Using wired connections only, my Vista boxen never seem to have any hiccups or stalls based on my router going down, unlike my XP machines. (No linux for me).

I really like the reliability of my Vista SMP boxen.

I don't have any wireless connections, but I will offer my observations. Using wired connections only, my Vista boxen never seem to have any hiccups or stalls based on my router going down, unlike my XP machines. (No linux for me).

I really like the reliability of my Vista SMP boxen.

I tend to agree about the Vista thing. Once you give it a chance, just like any new OS, and use it everyday it hits you, the product simply works.

Mine is running SMP as well and I can run office and photo shop, front page and ftp all at the same time and never have a glitch or crash.

I even like the cute little messages it gives when you forget to install a legacy program in compatibility mode, it does the install, waits a moment and a screen pops up asking if you would like the program installed correctly.

The worst part of Vista was and still is the really poor marketing and pricing structure.

The same holds true of many Vista owners, they buy OEM and try to move it from machine to machine then blame MS. I’ve had no such problem with the retail version.;)

I'll throw another vote in for that...I had Vista running for about 5 months on my SMP box before moving it to Linux (it was a gaming rig, but I'm rebuilding that PC w/ a quad, so no use for that Vista license on there). I had few problems at all with it, outside of a few software incompatibilities. However, those were more along the lines of "this prog barely works in XP, might as well try anyway, oh well". However, it ran progs perfectly well, ran SMP happily, and was really just nicer to use for me than XP.

Here is the output in fahlog.txt.. It looks like permissions, but it's completely boggling my mind..

Code:
Launched as a service.
Entered C:\Program Files (x86)\Folding@Home Windows SMP Client V1.01 to do work.

[04:35:31] - Ask before connecting: No
[04:35:31] - User name: mwarps[H]ard (Team 33)
[04:35:31] - User ID: 3CBD621C5373599C
[04:35:31] - Machine ID: 1
[04:35:31] 
[04:35:31] Loaded queue successfully.
[04:35:31] 
[04:35:31] + Processing work unit
[04:35:31] Core required: FahCore_a1.exe
[04:35:31] Core found.
[04:35:31] Working on Unit 01 [December 25 04:35:31]
[04:35:31] + Working ...
[19:33:49] CoreStatus = 64 (100)
[19:33:49] Sending work to server
[19:33:49] - Error: Could not get length of results file work/wuresults_01.dat
[19:33:49] - Error: Could not read unit 01 file. Removing from queue.
[19:33:49] - Preparing to get new work unit...
[19:33:49] + Attempting to get work packet
[19:33:49] - Connecting to assignment server
[19:33:49] - Successful: assigned to (171.64.65.64).
[19:33:49] + News From Folding@Home: Welcome to Folding@Home
[19:33:49] Loaded queue successfully.
[19:33:56] + Closed connections
[19:33:56] 
[19:33:56] + Processing work unit
[19:33:56] Core required: FahCore_a1.exe
[19:33:56] Core found.
[19:33:56] Working on Unit 02 [December 25 19:33:56]
[19:33:56] + Working ...
[10:38:38] CoreStatus = 64 (100)
[10:38:38] Sending work to server
[10:38:38] - Error: Could not get length of results file work/wuresults_02.dat
[10:38:38] - Error: Could not read unit 02 file. Removing from queue.
[10:38:38] - Preparing to get new work unit...
[10:38:38] + Attempting to get work packet
[10:38:38] - Connecting to assignment server
[10:38:38] - Successful: assigned to (171.64.65.64).
[10:38:38] + News From Folding@Home: Welcome to Folding@Home
[10:38:38] Loaded queue successfully.
[10:38:50] + Closed connections
[10:38:50] 
[10:38:50] + Processing work unit
[10:38:50] Core required: FahCore_a1.exe
[10:38:50] Core found.
[10:38:50] Working on Unit 03 [December 26 10:38:50]
[10:38:50] + Working ...

I just now decided to change the permissions on the directory (which thankfully propogated down) to allow full access to the directory for users. Rebooting.

Ditched the service, reinstalled using 7im's guide on the wiki and am up and running in console mode 100% :D Results in about 15 hours!

Back