SNMP reporting to excel

Fark_Maniac

2[H]4U
I need a little help here with SNMP. I'm just starting out and this is really looking challenging.

I have a 10k sq ft data center where I'm slowly starting to get my power strips ("Switched" ServerTech models) networked so that I can view power load and whatnot via browser.

I have a general layout of floorspace created using an excel spreadsheet. I'm trying to find a way to grab the voltage and temperature values via SNMP into an Excel spreadsheet cell. Has anyone run across something like this before?

I had heard of a software that grabs SNMP data and mimics an ODBC connection...but that company must have been bought out and I cannot find the software archived on the net.

I'm looking to do this as a holdover until I can get a proper management system in place (ServerTech Sentry or APC InfraStruXture Central)

thanks for any help.

Sounds like Excel is the wrong tool for this job.

If you really must use it, you can get the Office Software Development Kit and write an add-in or an OLE object that'll return the data for you, then write a macro that gets it back. Or, write your own OLEDB driver that Excel queries as a data source.

I use a linux machine with a shell script to grab the data from approx 500 routers on our network's power supply usage, and sizes..

it consists of a for statement, and a line like this

echo `snmpget -v 1 -c commname $i OID | cut -d: -f4`,`snmpget... | cut -d: -f4` ; done
it takes a few minutes to run, but could easily be done as a cronjob..

Back