So Christmas came early for me...

Blitzrommel

2[H]4U
and my fiancee surprised me with a Pioneer VSX-816 Receiver. It's pretty sweet, although I would have probably gone with an Onkyo; at any rate, I'm not looking a gift horse in the mouth and she was really proud of herself, so I certainly wouldn't want to hurt her feelings!

Although the receiver's capable of 7.1, I'll be only using stereo for a while since it's mostly for my computer, with occasional music listening. So I couldn't resist trying my 10-year old Sony SS-F100 speakers. Unfortuantely, they're mostly bass with very poor highs... So I went to Best Buy and picked up a pair of Sony SS-MB150H's which I heard good things about... It's pretty much the opposite. Sounds very dry to me.

So my question is, anyone have good suggestions? I'm also entertaining the idea of a subwoofer to help with bass... Budget is around $300, could stretch it out I suppose if I need a sub.

300 for 2 speakers and a sub?
if its for 2.1, get the insiginas at bb and the acoustech h100 from ebay. that puts u at about 280. then when you want to go 5.1, u can keep the sub, as it is very very good. i should know ;)

Yeah just 2.1. Or without the sub, but I've read good things about the sub you suggested... So I'm gunna see how much I can snag that for. :)

Acousticdesign has accepted best offers of $190 to $200 on the Bic H100. He is generally considered to be the cheapest place to buy it from.

Got the Bic h100 myself, like it a lot, wayy better than the cheapie sony/klh/yamaha subs i've owned or listened to. Loads of info at AVS.

The insignia's would be a great start as AlmostEvil mentioned, BB puts them on sale for $39-$45 every other week or so. Buy it online but use the in-store pickup option.

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Back