So...wuts the latest word on 30incher release dates???

sorry, i havnt bothered to read all of the pages of this thread.

but it would seem to me, HP would showcase this monitor at ces? no?

I cant even find the monitor section on the HP site. can someone link me?

There you go http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/us/en/sm/WF05a/382087-64283-444767-72270-444767-3297215.html

Damn I'm lazy. I didn't end up posting the pics of my setup like I said I would. I guess I will try tommorow. Today I was installing and playing around with my brand new logitech dinovo edge wireless keyboard.
I'm using it right now in bed typing with the 30 inch hp hovering over my head. Ahhhhhhh the ultimat in teh lazee. :D

Damn I'm lazy. I didn't end up posting the pics of my setup like I said I would. I guess I will try tommorow.
I'm still waiting to see this ridiculous setup...

I wish stores would start getting the LP3065 in stock again, and also that Dell would hurry up with their -HC already.

Im in the market for a 30" monitor which do you think is a better monitor LP3065 or the Dell 3007WFP-HC? I know the Dell only has specs to go off of, do you think its worth the wait over the HP?

THanks

Im in the market for a 30" monitor which do you think is a better monitor LP3065 or the Dell 3007WFP-HC? I know the Dell only has specs to go off of, do you think its worth the wait over the HP?

THanks
Both monitors use the same panel, and the HP has 3 inputs instead of 1, but that doesn't matter to me, so it's all based on price and return policy.

THanks

Its too early to tell. The new dell hc and the lp3065 will have the same panel in them. It will come down to which monitor is put together with better quality. I mean in terms of dead pixels and whatnot.
The kick is that the HPs have a low dead pixel occurance but crappy customer support. While on the other hand dell has released an occasional lemon with a dead pixel here and there but they have a better support system and a 30 day no questions asked return policy.

I think the hp will edge out the dell because of their high quality builds and the multiple dvi inputs. I think the new dell hc will still only have one dvi input.
And I think I will finally take some pics tommorow. I was gonna work out with the bike/trainer and this new spinervals dvd I bought but.....I'll take the pics first. :D

Its too early to tell. The new dell hc and the lp3065 will have the same panel in them. It will come down to which monitor is put together with better quality. I mean in terms of dead pixels and whatnot.
The kick is that the HPs have a low dead pixel occurance but crappy customer support. While on the other hand dell has released an occasional lemon with a dead pixel here and there but they have a better support system and a 30 day no questions asked return policy.

I think the hp will edge out the dell because of their high quality builds and the multiple dvi inputs. I think the new dell hc will still only have one dvi input.
And I think I will finally take some pics tommorow. I was gonna work out with the bike/trainer and this new spinervals dvd I bought but.....I'll take the pics first. :D

The Dell 3007WFP-HC is largely unchanged. It is almost identical to the older 3007WFP. One DVI input, and the same control setup and casing. Really the only difference is the panel, and whatever electronics might have needed to be changed as well. (Backlight and so on.)

Taking the pics of my setup was much harder than I thought it would be. Only 2 images were good enough I think.
And I was forced to merge pics together to create a panoramic view to get the full effect. Its only a few pics so I think I will start a seperate thread for it.

http://www.samsung.com/PressCenter/PressRelease/PressRelease.asp?seq=20061010_0000293416

Just found the above.
Designed for the commercial market, the 305T combines a 16:10 wide-screen design and high, 2560x1600 resolution, making it ideal for a variety of professional applications, including medical, engineering, control rooms, CAD, graphics and design, and desktop publishing.

Other specifications include 400cd/m2 brightness, 1000:1 contrast ratio, 178/178 degree viewing angle, a fast response time of 6ms (GTG), and a 0.25 pixel pitch for clean, tight image reproduction.

Priced at $1999.99 MSRP, the 305T is a competitive choice for its size and performance value, said Andrew Weis, product marketing manager, display products, Samsung Electronics America, Inc.

That can't be. I always thought Samsung quality is the best. Viewsonic doesn't even have 30", or 24" for that matter, yet Samsung has 24" for years.

VIewsonic quality is good too, I like their 20" professional series. The only problem w/ viewsonic is that they are such coward that they can't afford to put their dot pitch on their spec. sheet. They have been like that for over a decade now. For e.g., while Samsung tells me their 24" dot pitch is 0.27mm, Viewsonic purposely conceal that critical piece of data from everyone.

BLOODY HELL SONOFABIATCHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!! :mad: :mad: :mad:
Samsung's 30 inch offering is gonna be LED backlit and 111% color gamut?
ARGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!111111111111

BLOODY HELL SONOFABIATCHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!! :mad: :mad: :mad:
Samsung's 30 inch offering is gonna be LED backlit and 111% color gamut?
ARGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!111111111111

Calm down. You had to know that sooner or later something better would come along. You have no way of knowing what was going to come out and when. Additionally, there will ALWAYS be something better around the corner.

I bought my Dell 3007WFP months ago. Now there is a superior Dell 3007WFP-HC. So what? I've been enjoying my monitor for awhile now and I still enjoy it. I don't enjoy my monitor less now because new monitors are out. It's still a badass monitor.

If computers are your hobby, you must accept that everything you buy will be outdated soon. Plus, there is no telling how good that monitor is actually going to be in reality. We don't know of what issues it will have.

I overreacted.
http://www.engadget.com/2007/02/01/samsungs-15-4-30-and-40-inch-led-backlit-lcds/

It seems that Samsung is showing off their new led backlit technology that will be used in their syncmaster line this year. And they are also going to sell the panel to Dell, Apple, and HP for their own updated 30inch monitors which would ship later this year supposedly.
Even so......I was right not to choose to wait longer right?
I made the right decision by getting the hp lp3065 now right? :confused:
*waits for reassurance*

I overreacted.
http://www.engadget.com/2007/02/01/samsungs-15-4-30-and-40-inch-led-backlit-lcds/

It seems that Samsung is showing off their new led backlit technology that will be used in their syncmaster line this year. And they are also going to sell the panel to Dell, Apple, and HP for their own updated 30inch monitors which would ship later this year supposedly.
*waits for reassurance*

YES. You waited a year. You will get a better monitor if you wanted another year. This will always be the case. The monitor market isn't as static as it was in the CRT days. Eventually SED displays or another technology will put LCD out to pasture. So what?

You've got your monitor NOW and you can enjoy it NOW. As I've already said, if you are always waiting for the next great thing you won't ever get to enjoy anything because you'll never purchase anything.

*sigh* I agree.

Its just that when I saw the article I immediately assumed they were referring to that Samsung 305T that still isn't available readily or am I wrong about that?
But the LED backlit stuff I guess will be enjoyed by first time 2560x1600 buyers some time this year.

*waits for reassurance*

Hey, if you scroll back a few pages before you buy, I personally told you to wait for the Samsung. You jumped on the HP , because you can't wait and even though you have some kind of job/money situation. See looking back, what could happen is this: Samsung is waiting for everyone else to rel. their 30", then gather all the problems these manufacturers have, and rel. their ver., for a lack of a better word, a all bug fixed ver.

========

ON unrelated matter, what is "local dimming" LEDs?

Finally got a hold of a manager at Samsung, the 305T is coming out at or near April 12. Just 1 mth. away.

Considering the 305T or a Dell badged equivalent - not fond of LG panels myself, but that's me. Brightness on these screens is still pretty low. The 20-24" crowd can all manage 450-550 but at 30" it's suddenly not so good. That leads me to think they haven't gotten the backlights down very well yet. It is an area where they all seem to be struggling some.

Which of course makes me think that the real money is going to be a 30" with led backlight. SED is a pipe dream that's never going to get here, but the masses keep gobbling up the presentations every year just hoping it's right around the corner. OLED is closer, but it's still a ways off, and an even longer ways on a large screen size. But LED backlights can and will be done soon. And they may very well answer the backlight dilemma too.

Have to see. But the 305T at least strikes me as a very refined panel, not rushed, but carefully crafted. Now if it only had a led backlight, I'd be writing a check :)

on page 18, the samsung looks much thicker. And if the 20" is listed at $2K, then the 30" would be about $3K? That's higher than the 305T, how do they justify that price difference?

LED's are still pretty rare that all have the same color properties. Sony sold a lcd backlit LCD TV back in the Qualia brand days that started at release at a price of 13k. And at that time they were sourcing the LEDs' for backlights from only one company in the world who could make LED's in quantity with a consistent enough color quality.

That said, Samsung patented a technique for making a phosphor based LED light that uses the LED to activate a phosphor coating on the LED, so the light didn't come from just the LED itself, much like a flourescent tube only instead of electricity exciting the phosphor to create light, the LED light did it. The claim was that it would create a far wider and more consistent light than a normal LED alone and was supposedly fairly cheap to design. I have no idea if they are using this concept yet since the news blurb on it was describing it at the "just out of the lab" stage, but it is indicative of many things that have lead to LED's being better quality and giving more consistent light. That, plus the willingness to put them in everything down to notebooks for backlights, seems to indicate they finally have the costs under control.

My thinking is the XL20 is the first of it's kind. But Asus is making a LED backlit notebook and they aren't going to charge a $1500 premium on the cost of the notebook to do it, I'd bet. Samsung said in a brief a while back that by 2008 they expect 100% of their LCD range to be LED backlit. That might have been one of those wishful thinking kinds of things, but it's again an indication of where costs and designs are going.

So we'll see. I wouldn't doubt in the least that they get a LED backlit lcd down to the price where it's only a few hundred more than a CCFL backlit model. And since the monitor is for me, I'm not going to fret much about viewing angle.

Thanks much for the links :)

Well I found more links:

http://displays.engadget.com/2007/02/01/samsungs-15-4-30-and-40-inch-led-backlit-lcds/

They are coming, though it is rather pathetic when you read the fine print that the laptop display has a brightness of 330 cd/m2 yet the 30" super display is only 300 (but better color I suppose helps), and when you step up to the 40 TV size you get 500. I'd have hoped for about 400 from the 30", but oh well. LED's won't dim as much over time, if at all, so it won't be AS much of a worry, but still disappointed in 30" monitor brightness.

What this tells is that the wave of LED backlit panels is coming on strong. And for me, I'm likely to wait for the LED backlit 30" model, either from Samsung or Dell, either is fine.

Also a review link which points out that the XL20 is likely to sell for $1200 not $2000, which is closer to reality and a good sign of better starting prices. Manufacturing and volume over time will also tend to bring those down too.

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/other/display/professional-monitors_3.html

Well I found more links:

Also a review link which points out that the XL20 is likely to sell for $1200 not $2000, which is closer to reality and a good sign of better starting prices. Manufacturing and volume over time will also tend to bring those down too.

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/other/display/professional-monitors_3.html

From what I gathered in the reviews, the intro price of the 20 inch will be or is 2K and that will eventually go down to the sweet point of $1,200... All sounds good to me... If you want the best of the best and latest and the greatest, you must pay the price tag that comes with that brand new sparkle....

What this tells is that the wave of LED backlit panels is coming on strong. And for me, I'm likely to wait for the LED backlit 30" model
There's no way to know how long you'll have to wait. Also input lag is another concern.

but looking at the engadget link, I really don't see the big deal of Back Lit LCD, the difference doesn't worth all these fuss.

but looking at the engadget link, I really don't see the big deal of Back Lit LCD, the difference doesn't worth all these fuss.

I completely agree... Though I am interested to see how this new approach pans out.... Its just going to have a high price point in the beginning to try to soak up as much cash as they can from the new to the market buyers (the guys and companies that buy the newest product on the market, for whatever small performance gain they may receive if any at all)....

Count me out of that list of course, I am most likely settling on the NEC 2960 for now and I hope that will last a few good years before its worth forking out another grand plus to upgrade again.

Ok I'll tell you what the fuss is partially about. There are more benefits, but I'll highlight the big one. Lifetime.

If you've owned a lcd for a while (and used it solidly), you'll realize that not all backlights are built the same. CCFL's in the worst cases change color spectrums over time and in the best cases they get dimmer over time. LED's should (more in a second) not do this. The LED's based on Samsungs phosphor coating technology could be a weakness in this regard, so I'm hopeful, but reserved on whether that will work over time.

The second is uniformity. LED backlights should spread the light more evenly, which we all know has been a key weakness the larger the displays get.

These aren't show stoppers, so I'm not trying to convince you that CCFLs are bad, they're not. Just mentioning these things because the marketing folks are all about the improved color gamut on the blurb cards and not about the other benefits that show up in longer term ownership.

food for thought :)

Anemone, I fear you'll end up waiting like StalkerZERO for your beloved new 30" :)

I've got a 2405, so I'm not exactly suffering :)

And still I might give in to the 305T. Have to see.

after reading this review, I have some serious concern about the upcoming samsung xl30, as well as the XL20.

As we all know, when you buy any product, the "Recommended" requirements is really the "Needed" requirement. Comparing the Samsung to the NEC, the Samsung series requires that ugly looking hood, and it seems a lot like the hood is part of the "Needed" requirement.

Which means that the screen quality won't excel itself unless the hood is on, whereas NEC doesn't requires that. Needless to say, the hood is for the contrast.

Now, I hate that hood, it reminds me of those old terminal back in the 70's, so if the Samsung needs the hood to perform well, then I'll stick w/ the 305T instead.

Imo the hood is part of the "serious color enthusiast" orientation. There is bound to be a more common variety. Those hoods are pretty common with the pre press folks for whom color and moreover color path is essential.

Wait and see. I'm not saying the 305 isn't the way to go. Certainly if the LED's can't manage more than 300cdm then that won't do either.

:)

Monitor hoods are just plain nasty looking. I'll never buy a monitor that has or needs anything like that with it.

Pre press and serious art and photo work would be done with the hood. They're including it because it's going to make no dent in the price and a portion of the users out there will want it. Mind you, the XL30 is likely to be somewhat steep in price. I don't think the market will bear a Lexus style price, but it's not going to come in at $1500-1800 either.

food for thought.

They wouldn't include it if it wasn't needed. (I don't think they would anyway.)

That was my concern too. By contrast, in that same class, NEC doesn't need the hood. But what a ugly looking hood.

What we need is a side by side comparison of the XL30 vs. 305t, and see what the big difference is. All they emphasize, is the Back LED tech.

By the way, who say the xl30 is 2560x1600? It doesn't say that on the samsung web site

First the XL20 has a detachable hood so that's also probably the same on the xl30 - see Samsung website on xl20.

The 2560x1600 resolution on the XL30 indicates that it is 16:10 as was pointed out by a poster somewhere I can't recall. Plus if you look at the TFT modules in production, there are only widescreen models 24" and higher, where as the 20" XL20 likely comes from the 20.1" standard screen dimension TFT panels in the 4:3 ratio.

http://www.samsung.com/Products/TFTLCD/common/product_list.aspx?family_cd=LCD07

That will show you the panels they are making.

Back