Socket 939 and three sticks of RAM

Kevlarman

[H]ard|Gawd
From what I've read so far, it seems that running in dual channel with three sticks of RAM with an nforce4 chipset is a no-go, correct?

I've got an Athlon64 3700+ (San Diego) on order, along with an ASUS A8N-E. I plan to reuse the 1GB of memory in my existing system (NF7-S nforce2 ultra).

With my NF7, I could run in dual channel as long as both channels had the same amount of memory. I run 2x256MB + 1x512MB. Would this same configuration run in the newer system I'm building, or would I be better of buying a matching stick of 1x512MB?

The Asus manual says something like "DIMM_A1+DIMM_A2 = DIMM_B1+DIMM_B2," so in theory it should work, but I'm not so sure about the limitations of the Athlon's memory controller or mobo chipset itself.

Thanks in advance.

You have to run an even number of sticks to run in dual channel on Socket 939. Each channel must have the same sized dimm.

Buh, guess I'll buy two sticks of these and I'll still have the option to upgrade to 2GB of memory later (these are single-sided, BTW).

And I suppose the mismatched OCZ memory I had in my NF7 will sit in the spare parts drawer for a while.

Back