soldering i suck help?

aweusx2

Gawd
well i have 3 diff irons, 15 watt 40 watt and 25? they all melt solder when i touch it to the tip but if i try to desolder a cap from a very old mobo (practicing atm) it doesnt even come close to working, ive cleaned the tips and retinned. my next step is to just buy really expensive iron and hope that was the problem. ANy ideas? sorry for being so dumb / newb !

Melt a little dab of solder on the tip or solder a little of new to the old. You will find that helps out a bunch. Another thing to consider is a solder sucker. Those tend to be a lot hotter and cleaner

Adding some new solder to the joint really helps. Also make sure you're using proper technique. Using the pointy tip of your iron and jabbing at the joint isn't going to get you good heat transfer, you want to maximize the contact area and thus heat transfer. If you have cheap irons that might be difficult as the tips they use are usually crap with uneven heat and a poor shape, but you really don't need to spend a lot to get something decent, you just have to buy carefully. For a cheap iron, this is a pretty good example.

ok ya i googled a bunch and saw that adding new solder to the old will help. i would buy yet another iron if i thought it would help i have a weller iron but there is a thread at the end and its missing the tip =P brilliant i know i looked a while this morning for the tip but couldnt find it. wp25 is the model any tip suggestion?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Weller-WELLER-S...all_Kitchen_Appliances_US?hash=item45f0ff2d95
?? no picture ; /

think im missing this part as well ;/ Weller KN60 (Knurl Tip Nut:WP25/WP40) - Knurl Tip Nut:WP25/WP40
but im not sure its just a thread and the tips dont seem to have the thread

sorry im so lame i bet the generic ones i have will work with some new solder added to the old. im going to try on a old 7600gs card next to see if that solder isnt oxidized (it needs some caps too but im not going to repair it just throw it away after i test on it)

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Forgot to mention that capacitors will often have one or both legs attached to power planes on the PCB, which means that they act as pretty good heat sinks and can be quite difficult to heat effectively. Just something to be aware of, but you also need to be careful not to overheat and ruin the pads, so it's a bit of a tricky thing to deal with.

That's a decent iron and should do the job, if you need to buy tips I would recommend either the ST1 or ST2 profile for this job; your iron came with an ST3 tip which is a bit wide for any work on a motherboard IMO.

what happens if i ruin the pads? ya the tip sucked that it came with but now i have to buy the nut thing as well. used the 15watt and a pair of pliers barely used any heat or time just yanked and heated glad it was prob dead card anyway might try to cook it in the oven if no luck with the re-solder

eh you need to practice, I do my solder with a $1 30w iron just fine

I prefer chemwick to help get the excess solder off.

1. get a dab of extra solder on the tip of your iron
2. touch that to the joint you want to remove to help heat up (if it's on a power plane, it may take awhile.) It's not likely, but be careful not to burn the crap out of the parts.
3. while still hot, use chemwick on the joint, and it will wick up most of the solder.
4. repeat until most all of the solder is gone.
5. keep heat on the joint, and try to remove the part from the pad.

40 watts isn't quite enough power for desoldering stuff from 4+ layer circuit boards. 50W is a lot better, and there are some $5-15 variable-power 10-60W irons (Marlin P. Jones, MPJC.com), but they overheat their tips at 50W because they aren't temperature-controlled. Also chisel tips transfer heat better than needle or cone tips do. AFAIK the cheapest temperature-controlled iron is the Goot PX-201, $50, and it puts out up to 70W.

use soldering braid. It will suck the excess up and the capacitor should fall out by itself.

25w iron will be enough with it.

Motherboards are likely defluxed, either add solder like others suggested or add flux to get it to melt

Back