Some help with upgrading the HDD in my PS3 Slim

ozziegn

The man behind the curtain...
So here's the deal. I have a 120GB PS3 Slim model that I want to upgrade the HDD to a 1TB if possible for that size. I already have a spare 250GB HDD that I took from a spare PS3 Slim console that I sold off for parts. I tried to use it in place of the original 120GB drive but I noticed the two drives have difference connections. They both have the standard SATA interface but the 120GB drive doesn't seem to have the same power connection like the 250GB has and it will not work in place of the 120GB drive.

This is what my 250GB drive looks like. The 120GB drive that's inside my PS3 does not have the same power connection.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Should fit fine, pretty sure my ps3 120gb drive has a standard sata data/power connector like in the link

nope, it doesn't. my spare 250GB drive will not fit in to the 120GB's place. they don't have the same connections.

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/123177-13-what-hard-drive-upgrade-slim
I was wondering about this myself goggle is awesome, if you take the time to look ^.^
hopefully this answers the question.

I took the time and I read that thread. Someone said any 2.5 SATA HDD will work but I'm not seeing it happen. As I said earlier, I have two different types of PS3 Slim HDDs in front of me.

I'm just gonna buy a 1TB drive and hope for the best. I actually bought a PS4 but I then returned it once I found out that you can't stream USB content which is absolutely stupid.

This would be infinitely more easy to answer if you actually showed the connectors on the actual drives, or at least listed the exact model numbers involved.

The 15-pin L-shaped connector is THE standard for SATA drives, but there may have been VERY early models with the old PATA-molex connector, and there is a 6-pin "slimline" power connector too intended for 1.8" drives.

I upgraded my original PS3 and it used the standard L-shaped connectors, and I bet the slim does too.

original is phat version as the word it, the slim as that thread I put listed, it is not standard 2.5mm size he lists the actual size in dimensions. But, the actual connectors as in the data and power are supposed to be a standard however that being said they do have a couple revisions of so therefore possibly did change it a bit to make "Special" upgrade drives that cost more then the off the shelf versions.

hmmmm, https://www.ifixit.com/Store/Game-Console/PlayStation-3-Slim ?

Back