Sony Lost the Videogame Hardware Race at E3

HardOCP News

[H] News
Gizmodo has an op-ed posted today that may be upsetting to Sony fans.

The home console hardware that garnered the most attention—judging by people's reactions, the lines at E3, and our own experiences—is Microsoft's completely controller-less Kinect, which seemingly promises something completely new. You are the controller with Kinect. That's killer hardware.

Finally an article that speaks the truth of the PS Move. I just don't understand why it's getting so much attention. It's already been done!

Sooo, when are they going to come out with a game where you thrust your hips.

The Gizmondo article puts a lot of it's weight on "how long the lines are."

Truth is both the Sony Move and MS Kinect both had less than stellar showings. The Kinect does not work while sitting down. Every impression I've read both had more negatives than positives about either of those.

The real winner so far least in my eyes has been the Nintendo 3DS. I have yet to read anyone not be impressed and at the same time have something bad to say about the device.

I love me some Kinect, I can't wait to experience it.

The Nintendo 3DS almost as bad ass... particularly because of the 3D camera system. But since I've never had an interest in the DS, I have very little interest in the 3DS

The Gizmondo article puts a lot of it's weight on "how long the lines are."

Truth is both the Sony Move and MS Kinect both had less than stellar showings. The Kinect does not work while sitting down. Every impression I've read both had more negatives than positives about either of those.

The real winner so far least in my eyes has been the Nintendo 3DS. I have yet to read anyone not be impressed and at the same time have something bad to say about the device.

The 3DS is definitely the most interesting new hardware I've heard about from E3. I really don't get how they think Kinect was more impressive than Sony Move. Kinect - you get to move a jump rope while a tiger named Skittles jumps over it. Move - you get the Wii in HD (supposedly more accurate tracking, but that's to be seen)

They also say "nobody will design an experience around 3D" but that's the beauty of 3D when it comes to games. You don't have to design the game around it. Games are 3D naturally. Major upcoming games like Killzone are doing 3D, past big names like Motorstorm are even being patched to support 3D. Nobody will buy the TVs if the content doesn't exist so Gizmodo's belief that nobody should provide content until there's a sizable base of 3D TVs is nonsense. When something requires enormous effort I could understand not wanting to do it if a large base can't experience it, but when it comes to 3D there is no enormous effort required to recode things for games.

Absurd article to be completely honest, and more then a little biased.

Move - wii clone in HD. I have been utterly against the move since it was announced and continue to be so, even though the PS3 is my preferred console. However at least Sony has decent games out of the box for Move, not a collection of blatant wii ripoffs.

Kinect - Removing the controller completely was honestly a fail concept from the start. You simply cannot expect to have precision control over quality game experiences without buttons of some sort. Couple that with the games that are such a flagrant ripoff of Wii launch day titles and it is almost laughable. I can't believe anyone with any reasonable IQ would buy into this for a second.

3DS - The simple fact that this was the highlight of E3 really tells you how bleak E3 was this year. Sure it is neat, just like the wii was neat. That novelty will quickly wear off when this thing starts inducing virtual boy type migraines. On a personal note, I will be glad when the stupid 3d fad goes away again for the 20th time in the past 30+ years they have been attempting to push it.

Really all that was proven this year at E3 was as follows; It remains impossible to defeat standard controllers, mice and keyboards for gaming precision and the gaming industry is really in an extremely sad state if this is the best they can muster.

american is going 1 million dollars in debt every 10 seconds. what did you expect, an awesome e3?

honestly, i can't believe that sony hasn't had more layoffs, but i know they are coming, big time.

ok, back to subject!!!!!

Kinect is cool and all but didn't we already have enough with the Wii. I personally sold mine, I was sick of using those silly motion controllers. Using our body as the controller, that is nice but do we really want to play all our new games like that?

I'm not upset about Sony, I'm upset that gizmodo is willing to pass this crap off as an article, even an op-ed piece. That kind of drivel has no place in any semi-legitimate news source.

Time shall tell, but to me it looked like Kinect totally and utterly bombed.

Starting from the little girl playing with the tiger and her hands didnt match up even remotely.

Then with the exercise stuff giving different results at the different conferences, horribly de-sync between video screen and the actual person.

Then onto Forza (3,4?) with Kinect, the guy driving, again, didnt seem to line up with what was showing on the screen.

Wii, same issues, things werent lining up well (my mother owns nintendo wii and i have similar issues to the guy on stage on occasion, though they blamed it on interference.

Move, when the guy playing golf it botched horribly. The 1:1 ratio didnt line up for dick (similar to the wii) If the move was anywhere close to as precise as the commercials show it would be pretty cool (for very few specific genres, swordplay,teniis,etc)

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/e3-2010-e3-2010/700825?type=flv

Oh crap now Sonys gonna pay the cops to raid that guys house and take all his computers...

The Sony move is a blatant rip-off of the Wii. Hands down. Microsoft went for a different hardware idea.

Microsoft is instead ripping off the Wii games with their Wii...err...Kinect Nintendogs...err..tigers and their Kinect Bowling, Baseball, etc.

What a ridiculous article. Nobody gives a shit about retarded motion controllers except casual gamers. They have nothing to do with "hardware" anyways, they are peripherals. Offhand, the only nonstandard controllers I can think of that have added to the gameplay experience are various light guns, a high quality wheel like the G25, trackIR, and the Steel Battalion controller. And even those share a certain commonality in that they tend to gather dust. Generally they make the game take more effort to play so you're less likely to use them when you just want to relax, and you can't go on an all day binge with them either. And this is the BEST of peripherals. Some, like the wii controller, generally detract from the experience and I'd much rather use the standard pad. So I don't see a console's fate being determined by stupid peripherals that will be used <10% of the time.

The 3DS looks nice but it's hard to get interested in without pricing and a release date. I think the claims about the hardware are dubious though. It's clearly not as powerful as a wii, and even if it was, that's just a nice way of saying it has 10 year old gamecube hardware inside. It looks perhaps marginally more powerful than a PSP, which is a very small boost for all the time that has passed. Yeah, the PSPgo is a piece of crap and probably the worst conceived console since the virtua boy, but the original PSP hardware is still competitive and I'd say an all around better system thanks to emulators. The PSP is lacking in software but the hardware is still fine.

I guess I'm the only guy here who is waiting for this motion and 3D bullshit to blow over. :eek:

I guess I'm the only guy here who is waiting for this motion and 3D bullshit to blow over. :eek:

This idiocy can't blow over fast enough...it seems like the misguided effort towards these fads is greatly slowing the pace of AAA games.

I gave up on that BS article when he said no one would care about 3D Sony games. I know of lots of people who are using gaming as their motivating factor when purchasing a 3D HDTV...like myself! The Samsung tvs' can convert any game to 3D! That's pretty sweet and enough for me to sell my 6 month old plasma.

motion controls = totally suckage. Its a gimmick. It sold a bunch of wiis to old farts and mini van moms. Its like half ass virtual reality. The Kinect thing isn't new. Sony had the playstation eye on the ps2 and I am sure there were others before. Sure its a little more advanced but it still is buggy as hell. It requires perfect lighting to even work. It takes up extra cpu cycles and adds tons of latency. I'll stick to my mouse and keyboard.

I'm not sure how someone can even lose the "hardware" race :rolleyes:. If that was the case the Wii and DS would have lost years ago. It's always about the software and Sony had the best software line up at this years E3. Kinectic is automatically limited unless MS releases a hand controller, that should not even be up for debate. Move is a rip off but it's a perfected ripoff.

I'm not sure how someone can even lose the "hardware" race :rolleyes:. If that was the case the Wii and DS would have lost years ago. It's always about the software and Sony had the best software line up at this years E3. Kinectic is automatically limited unless MS releases a hand controller, that should not even be up for debate. Move is a rip off but it's a perfected ripoff.

Also the 3D push on Sony's part really was a moot issue. Even if Sony had never mentioned 3D at all during E3 they still would have came out ahead of MS and Nintendo. Nintendo's saving grace was 3DS but we knew that going in.

Kinect is cool and all but didn't we already have enough with the Wii. I personally sold mine, I was sick of using those silly motion controllers. Using our body as the controller, that is nice but do we really want to play all our new games like that?

not every games going to be like that.. where they will make the bigger sales on is any of the exercise programs.. thats pretty much the only reason my mother owns a wii and shes friggin sick of having to hold the controllers and strapping shit to her leg so the program detects her moving her legs and shit.. i think the biggest selling point of the kinect will be for kids and adults.. wont have much of a selling point for teenagers but neither was the wii..

Neither Move nor Kinetic is going to matter. An add-on released in the middle of a generation has never had any significant impact on hardware sales(Powerglove, Superscope 6, Sega 32X, Sega CD, Eyetoy, etc).

By the time Kinetic and Move are available, the 360 and PS3 will be 5 and 4 years into their lifespans, respectively. The public perception of both systems are already set, and these peripherals won't make any difference.

One thing people don't seem to understand is that Nintendo has seen so much success with the DS Stylus and Touchscreen and the Wii Wiimote and Nunchuk not just because they offered a new way to play games, but the biggest reason of all is software. Nintendo itself was able to provide software from the start which appealed to all demographics. On the other hand, Sony and MS don't have that level of internal talent, which makes them far more dependent on third-parties. This is why their software doesn't have the mass appeal that you see on the Wii. Instead, they only receive a few big name exclusives every year which appeal only to core and hardcore gamers. Third-party devs are going to want to play it safe to maximize profits, so they aren't going to devote any significant amount of resources into Move or Kinetic.

Releasing these two peripherals is counterproductive because it just reaffirms the Nintendo as the market leader and makes the 360 and PS3 look like weaker versions of the Wii with less appealing software.

I liked Natal.
I was fine with Natal.
But no.
They had to change it.
Seriously.
What the fuck is Kinect?
What the fuck man???
What the fuck....

I liked Natal.
I was fine with Natal.
But no.
They had to change it.
Seriously.
What the fuck is Kinect?
What the fuck man???
What the fuck....

Think like I do then. I can't think of Natal without thinking of navel. What the hell does belly buttons have to do with motion control? :-P

Kinect reminds me of kinetics which is much closer to the mark.

Absurd article to be completely honest, and more then a little biased.

Move - wii clone in HD. I have been utterly against the move since it was announced and continue to be so, even though the PS3 is my preferred console. However at least Sony has decent games out of the box for Move, not a collection of blatant wii ripoffs.

Kinect - Removing the controller completely was honestly a fail concept from the start. You simply cannot expect to have precision control over quality game experiences without buttons of some sort. Couple that with the games that are such a flagrant ripoff of Wii launch day titles and it is almost laughable. I can't believe anyone with any reasonable IQ would buy into this for a second.

3DS - The simple fact that this was the highlight of E3 really tells you how bleak E3 was this year. Sure it is neat, just like the wii was neat. That novelty will quickly wear off when this thing starts inducing virtual boy type migraines. On a personal note, I will be glad when the stupid 3d fad goes away again for the 20th time in the past 30+ years they have been attempting to push it.

Really all that was proven this year at E3 was as follows; It remains impossible to defeat standard controllers, mice and keyboards for gaming precision and the gaming industry is really in an extremely sad state if this is the best they can muster.
I think this is spot on, although a bit more credit should be given to the 3DS, if for nothing else than because it has better graphics than a PSP and one of the best launch lineups seen to date.

I don't know of any serious gamer that is excited about the Kinect. It's a piece of hardware for casual party games, and at some point video game makers need to realize that serious gamers like sitting on their ass. What might save MS is the price drop and crazy $99 XB Arcade going on right now and probably in the future.

As for the Motion, people are overlooking its main appeal. Yes, it's copying the Wiimote and Wii Motion Plus. Know what's different about it? There's a PS3 sitting behind the controller instead of a Wii. That's its major advantage.

Back