Sorry Dell, Holiday Shoppers Want a Mac

apple policy is they don't pay for product placement
what news shows are you talking about? people walking around in the background during interviews? news anchors holding their iPhones? sports shows?

if people buy apple products on the basis of advertisement alone, then we have to ask ourselves about MS' advertising budget and market share. the arguments don't hold up to scrutiny no matter which way you try and take them.

apple policy is they don't pay for product placement
what news shows are you talking about? people walking around in the background during interviews? news anchors holding their iPhones? sports shows?

if people buy apple products on the basis of advertisement alone, then we have to ask ourselves about MS' advertising budget and market share. the arguments don't hold up to scrutiny no matter which way you try and take them.

I see the Apple all of the time on news shows. Diane Sawyer has an iPad, folks on CNBC always have Macbooks.

I see the Apple all of the time on news shows. Diane Sawyer has an iPad, folks on CNBC always have Macbooks.
oh, so exactly what I wrote...anchors using their personal devices

people using their personal devices on air is not product placement
apple doesn't pay for product placement and that's why tons of shows have characters obviously using an apple product but with crudely placed stickers, etc. covering the logo

if you see a logo on an apple device that device isn't there because of product placement. no product, no matter how popular, is going to be displayed for free.

How do you know if these devices are personal or not? Some are, some probably aren't. You're turning a mountain into a mole hill. I never said anything about product placement or Apple paying for it. I simply said I see a lot of Apple logos in news and sports shows, not really sure why there's anything to be upset about with that simple statement of observation.

How do you know if these devices are personal or not? Some are, some probably aren't. You're turning a mountain into a mole hill. I never said anything about product placement or Apple paying for it. I simply said I see a lot of Apple logos in news and sports shows, not really sure why there's anything to be upset about with that simple statement of observation.
I'm not really sure why there is anything to be upset about either or why you think anyone is upset :confused:

there are only three options when it comes to logos on the airwaves:
1. company pays to have its logo displayed ("placed")
2. network pays company to display the logo
3. the product is a personal device

apple, per policy, doesn't pay for product placement so that rules out #1
no network is going to pay a company to display its logo for obvious reasons ruling out #2
therefore, when you see an apple logo displayed, it's a personal device #3
when you see an apple device without the logo it seems to be #2. no one really knows but most likely scenario is apple gave the studio the device and they use it without advertising for apple directly

Sigh...Apple articles are usually written by Apple fans who often have difficulty choosing among light bulbs. Apple doesn't make either a game console or a flat-screen TV (why are those items mentioned? I guess the author just assumes Apple makes these things, too.) Globally, Samsung clobbers Apple in the smart-phone business and the only way Apple can hold its own in the US is by getting Obama to ban some Samsung phones in the US....;) The Mac *still* accounts for ~5% of the consumer desktops sold in the world--but notice that the author actually cannot decide between "Apple electronics" and the "Mac" so they are conveniently commingled.

Worst of all is that this entire article is predicated on future predictions instead of hindsight realities. The only thing the article gets right is that people usually and often do not end up buying what they say they will be buying. IE, the article itself should never have been written because it's meaningless...;) But, hey--it's *Apple* they're talking about, so it's par for the course.

Apple fans write articles for PCMag? News to me.

I'm not really sure why there is anything to be upset about either or why you think anyone is upset :confused:

there are only three options when it comes to logos on the airwaves:
1. company pays to have its logo displayed ("placed")
2. network pays company to display the logo
3. the product is a personal device

apple, per policy, doesn't pay for product placement so that rules out #1
no network is going to pay a company to display its logo for obvious reasons ruling out #2
therefore, when you see an apple logo displayed, it's a personal device #3
when you see an apple device without the logo it seems to be #2. no one really knows but most likely scenario is apple gave the studio the device and they use it without advertising for apple directly

Or couldn't it simply be that a company bought a device for an employee and that the logo is just there and it shows up in the broadcast?

Or couldn't it simply be that a company bought a device for an employee and that the logo is just there and it shows up in the broadcast?
I guess it could be that but then they'd be foregoing tens of millions of advertisement dollars during a prime time slot so in practical terms it's, to put it mildly, unlikely.

(although, if a network buys a device for a news anchor and that news anchor uses it during the broadcast that is, by definition, a news anchor using his or her personal device :|)

I guess it could be that but then they'd be foregoing tens of millions of advertisement dollars during a prime time slot so in practical terms it's, to put it mildly, unlikely.

(although, if a network buys a device for a news anchor and that news anchor uses it during the broadcast that is, by definition, a news anchor using his or her personal device :|)

Why does it matter who owns the device? The logo is showing up in the broadcast regardless. If there's ad money here, why would the broadcaster give up that money simply because the device is personal? Wouldn't they just buy the device for the employee if ownership made a difference in making money from the logo?

I welcome it when they realize how much it costs to fix them, and how malicious software manufacturers will move into targeting macs.

Why does it matter who owns the device? The logo is showing up in the broadcast regardless. If there's ad money here, why would the broadcaster give up that money simply because the device is personal? Wouldn't they just buy the device for the employee if ownership made a difference in making money from the logo?
I don't understand what you're trying to figure out here...

it doesn't matter whether the network or an individual buys the device :confused:
in neither case is that product placement..."product placement" occurs when a company pays someone to place the product in their show on the air. apple doesn't pay companies for product placement.

now no matter what else is going on, whatever you want to call it, however you can make sense of the situation, the fact is that Apple doesn't pay companies for product placement.

Something I've been wondering about the product placements. Most of the shows I watch goes out of their way to take off brands or replace them with generic labels, to the point that very distinct gadgets or the ones with prominent logos are removed. Which is what makes Apple products stand out so much as they're the only one with the logos intact and in many cases, are center of the camera with the actor at the edge.

One show "Chuck" made it even more obvious. Every phone and computer there had an apple logo, quite a few people seem to have noticed because they soon mixed in other computers, however, while the Apple computers had their logos intact, the others like ASUS, HP and DELL, had their logos removed and replaced with a Windows logo.

Odd, I ordered a dell laptop for my GF yesterday. I didn't know I was supposed to get her a mac book.... Crap that would have cost me about $1500 more.

now no matter what else is going on, whatever you want to call it, however you can make sense of the situation, the fact is that Apple doesn't pay companies for product placement.

Where did I ever say that Apple paid for product placement? Again, all I said is that I see a lot of Apple logos on products I see on news and sports shows and whatever you're arguing doesn't counter this observation. I just assume that the logos get shown because they're there, I never assumed or said anything about money exchanging hands.

I don't understand what you're trying to figure out here...

it doesn't matter whether the network or an individual buys the device :confused:
in neither case is that product placement..."product placement" occurs when a company pays someone to place the product in their show on the air. apple doesn't pay companies for product placement.

Proof? You know beyond the shadow of a doubt that Apple does not pay for product placement? :rolleyes:

Sigh...Apple articles are usually written by Apple fans who often have difficulty choosing among light bulbs.

There's more than one type of light bulb these days. Perhaps you haven't heard of Halogens, Fluorescent, LED, CFL and incandescents.

The funny thing is the majority of the so called power users that confine themselves to one OS (usually Windows) Wouldn't be able to navigate via Terminal or console even if their life was at stake. Even if you go OSX, you still have the option of going Windows on a separate partition. Not the other way around if you were to choose a Windows based laptop (under normal circumstances)

Yeah but these pro power users (because they know how to install the latest video cards and play the newest games) don't need all that silly terminal stuff! Quick bash scripts and cron jobs to make life easier? Real pro users are those who can hunt down drivers to install. :p

But I am surprised people would want Apple routers and the Apple TV.

The article talks about Desktops, but people seem to be mentioning things like the Yoga, which is a laptop not competing with the iMac.

I would take a Yoga 2 Pro over anything Apple makes at this point.

I would too, but it wouldn't be my first choice in PC laptops.

I used to like IBM's Thinkpad line, but ever since they sold to Lenovo, I have been a skeptic.

Guess I just don't trust Chinese run companies...

Lenovo laptops are generally good in my experience. My first choice.

I would actually rather have a MBP than any Dell made hardware. Build quality does matter, and Dells are pretty cheaply made.

Back