SP35P2 and a fanless 4850 - how doable?

PsichoDM

Limp Gawd
So here's the context: my 4870 has apparently died because of overheating in my SP35P2. I'm not sure why that would have happened, since I've always been pretty good about keeping the temps below 80C (by cranking up the fans and leaving the case always open).

I need a replacement, I was thinking of the GIGABYTE Radeon HD 4850 GV-R485MC-1GI.

Has anybody ever tried to fit one of those into the above mentioned shuttle? Does it sound like that would be pretty much impossible? I must say the 4870 wasn't exactly easy to fit in, so this one might be a big no no.

So your 4870 died because of overheating, and you want to replace it with a passive 4850. Ok.....

I'd go with a GTS 250 since those seem to be running quite cool.

Hmm yeah the GTS250 sounds interesting, I'm certainly all in favor of low power requirements and low temps.

Maybe you should check out your case airflow too. What you got?

Wouldn't a card that exhausted out of the case make some sense? .... assuming it would fit, of course....

LOL. I thought that was his Mobo (P35?) cuz I never heard of it.

Could you give me an example of such a card, please? I'd be interested to see something similar, maybe it will help my temps considerably.

Look out for the new batch of ATI cards, will perform between the 4830 and 4850, being on 40nm and less power consuming.

I have the SP35P2 Pro and would say any card that doesn't exhaust outside would be out of the question. I have changed all of my fans with higher flowing fans , tried reversing the cpu cooler fans , and even changed the psu fan. My chip idles at 40*C and my card idles around 60*C. I'm not happy with these temps and just haven't bit the bullet and put a 120mm in the top. I haven't tried running it "lidless" for any extended period of time but when I have, the temps weren't a lot different. Just my experience. I'm actually thinking about moving to something else because of this.

Back