SPARC Solaris Question

Flagg

Limp Gawd
I am trying to setup an environment where compiling is possible. This is a work machine running Solaris, and of course doesnt have gcc, automake, autoconf installed so compiling is not possible. I dont have root access, but our sysadmin basicaly said if you are going to compile software to run, A. Dont tell me about it, and B. I cant help you get it setup. That being said, is it possible to install gcc and friends into my /home/user directory? Im trying to to compile gaim for solaris along with a few other minor progrmas that would help my day to day activities (nothing illegal mind you) If this is possible, is it just a matter of compiling gcc with the --prefix option poiting to my /home/user directory or is there a lot more envolved?

You could set your prefix to inside your home directory and add that to your path enviroment variable so it'd be usuable.

Pretty much just a matter of setting up the prefix. I think it's relatively easy to find binaries of GCC, binutils & the like for Solaris.

your problem will be that most things will be packaged up and you'll need root to install them - and since you have no gcc you need a compiler to compile it

Back