Star Citizen - media blowout, Chris Robert's new game

well screw it, I bought the Orion. I will work out selling my Starfarer later to make up for the cost.

If it doesn't work out for you as a miner with that kind of mass behind it I'm sure it will make a mean battering-ram for those nasty Idris and Javelin out there.

If it doesn't work out for you as a miner with that kind of mass behind it I'm sure it will make a mean battering-ram for those nasty Idris and Javelin out there.

My buddy has a Carrack, we have already made a pact that I will help him man his Carrack to find some asteroid fields and then he will help me man my Orion to mine the asteroid field :)

I wonder how easy / possible it would be to multibox the mining.... that could actually be really fun.

So is anyone playing together yet? I've been out of the loop quite a bit lately

wulfpack.kicks-ass.net

pw = bob

For our Teamspeak that i have set up that you can use, you can bring anyone into it as long as they are your friend, if its just some random person you dont really know you can bring them in too as long as they plan on playing with you if you are trying to make new friends.

If anyone asks who you are in TS just tell them you are part of the Star Citizen org.

So when will this game move from "Hanger Sim" to actually being more like a space sim? I mean if Elite can do it, how much longer are they thinking before SC is further along?

If you guys are wanting to try out the orion mini-game, there looks like that there is a bug that causes the price of the material too keep dropping in price and never rise up. Looks like there is reports that the sell price go into the negatives <.<.

I gave up trying to follow the progress and cash shop. Is there any kind of eta on an actual release?

I gave up trying to follow the progress and cash shop. Is there any kind of eta on an actual release?

depends on what part you want released.

March 6th the FPS portion is playable at PAX East, then a month or so after the social module is supposed to be out which is the first stage to getting PU ready because of player interactions with each other ect.

really any after that tho is not set in stone fore release windows, they want the first episode for SQ42 to be out some time this year but i have my doubts and do not want them to rush anything.

If you guys are wanting to try out the orion mini-game, there looks like that there is a bug that causes the price of the material too keep dropping in price and never rise up. Looks like there is reports that the sell price go into the negatives <.<.

i noticed that issue but i had no problem beating it.

So when will this game move from "Hanger Sim" to actually being more like a space sim? I mean if Elite can do it, how much longer are they thinking before SC is further along?

To be fair, a single ship in SC has more detail than the entire ED universe. :p

I'm expecting late 2016 or early 2017 for the persistent universe and full on sim.

The mining mini game was bugged this afternoon and pure evil, looks like they fixed it so its beatable now. Seemed like this afternoon all it did was kick you in the teeth every time you did anything.

The mining mini game was bugged this afternoon and pure evil, looks like they fixed it so its beatable now. Seemed like this afternoon all it did was kick you in the teeth every time you did anything.

i beat it around 8:30 pm Eastern

i had the bug where prices would get lower and lower but it didnt affect me much.

and do not want them to rush anything.

I don't think you have anything to worry about there. If there was ever a team in no rush, it is RSI. That's not to say I don't hope this game becomes a defining master race title, but let's face it, the game will never be more profitable than it is right now while they're amassing a fortune selling virtual ships, and playing to peoples romanticized notions of an ideal space game that will only ever exist in their minds.

I don't think you have anything to worry about there. If there was ever a team in no rush, it is RSI. That's not to say I don't hope this game becomes a defining master race title, but let's face it, the game will never be more profitable than it is right now while they're amassing a fortune selling virtual ships, and playing to peoples romanticized notions of an ideal space game that will only ever exist in their minds.

not entirely true, free to play games have more potential to be profitable than subscription games

when given a choice people seem to be ready to pay money when they don't "need" too. yeah some of these games are likely pay2win but even with just a fraction of the income some of those games get from selling cosmetic items or UEC as well as new game sales, and sales from additional campaign's ect.

and they are not really amassing a fortune when it is all going right back into the project. its not just going into exec pockets and bonuses.

top-10-superdata.jpg

wow-data.jpg

The Cutlass is free to fly this weekend. With the thrusters still feeling pretty off I don't think it was a great time to make them free, but whatever. It's still a neat ship.

During the 300 free-to-fly, there was a trick to see the free ships. If you delete everything out of your hangar and load the game, it should put everything in your hangar, including the free cutlass.

So I "beat" the orion mini game, what does that get me? I am just learning about this game and haven't purchased my ship yet, but created my profile and was logged in when I completed it. I know it can't possibly give me access to a ship they are selling for over $300. Any guidance on a good starting ship to get my feet wet? I don't want to drop $300 on something only to find out that I don't want to continue with it. I am getting some pressure from friends to play this, so am trying to make a decision.

Gets you a forum badge and access to Orion concept art, same deal as with the explorer mini game. You can choose it by going to settings>>profile. If you don't wanna get an Orion, don't, $300 is a lot of money. Get one of the two reasonably priced Starter Packages $45 (Mustang Alpha* or Aurora MR) which comes with everything you need to start. I'd suggest the Mustang, there is a FREE Mustang to Aurora (and vice-versa) CCU to go freely back and forth to try the other. Also note, the Orion is just an "add-on" not a "game package" which does not include Star Citizen, Squadron 42, Beta Access or the Arena Commander Pass which you need to access the Hangar and Arena Commander multiplayer mode.

Lol, no don't buy a $300 ship.

I would get the Mustang Alpha package, its $45, is nice to fly, and you can upgrade it all sorts of ways. That includes the single-player and multiplayer games when they come out eventually. If you get that today, tonight you'll be able to fly both that and the $100 Cutlass ship that is free this weekend.

The Cutlass is free to fly this weekend. With the thrusters still feeling pretty off I don't think it was a great time to make them free, but whatever. It's still a neat ship.

During the 300 free-to-fly, there was a trick to see the free ships. If you delete everything out of your hangar and load the game, it should put everything in your hangar, including the free cutlass.

Note if you just want to take a look at the ship you can do free flight and land on the landing platform and get out too. Different lighting setup from the hangar, and you can check out damage states close up too by shooting it with the pistol, unless they changed that and I didn't notice.

Note if you just want to take a look at the ship you can do free flight and land on the landing platform and get out too. Different lighting setup from the hangar, and you can check out damage states close up too by shooting it with the pistol, unless they changed that and I didn't notice.

How'd you get outside the Cutlass?
I had to glitch through the ship to get outside, cause the door to the cockpit doesn't open.
In fact, I found no way to get in the ship without going through the menu...

I had to glitch through the ship to get outside, cause the door to the cockpit doesn't open.

Yep. I couldn't get out either and PC didn't sit properly when I tried to get back on the seat.

Cutlass feels very fragile and the thrusters are extremely underpowered. And oh boy... It's so slow.

noticed you can take the size 2 mounts from the delta mustang and put them on the cutlass where the sucker punches are and use all badger repeaters.

There's two ways inside the cutlass. The back door, and a side ladder within the cockpit itself. The button is behind the two chairs.

Same trick that worked for the 300i series works for the Cutlass, go in and hit reset on your Hangar ship layout and save your Hangar with no ships and all ships, including loaners will be there. For effect I did it in VFG Hangar.

Actually managed to win one of those random contests people do in the official forums.

snagged a $10 store credit gift card.

Saw, Bored Gamer, I watch his YouTube programing, announced you were a winner.

I think it was Karma because the day before i told 2 of my friends i would get them the FPS module pass since they lack full alpha access, so now when i put the $10 in for that it will just feel like i get it back as store credit. since i would of spent that $10 on SC any way because i want to unmelt my super hornet.

looks like I can't make the Pax East party, I can't get to Boston until around 7pm at the earliest :(

I think I may still head up to Boston for the weekend anyway. Anyone know if CIG will refund tickets if you can't make the event? I'm thinking about trying to catch a earlier flight if I can get out of work but I don't want to throw $30 away for no reason and I won't know until that day.

There's two ways inside the cutlass. The back door, and a side ladder within the cockpit itself. The button is behind the two chairs.

Apparently the door buttons I missed are on the landing gear.
Sneaky of them, gonna have to pay more attention next time.

I'm going to try and make some events this year. I just have to make sure my job doesn't screw things up next time again, 3 snow days in the past 2 weeks sent our production schedule to shit :(

The big ones I'm looking at is Gamescom and if they do Pax Australia again. I need to see my damn brother in Sydney lol, it's been 10 years

Last edited:
HTC is making Valves VR Headset, things are getting exciting out there, wonder what I'll end up getting for StarCitizen?

any details on valves VR headset? honestly too lazy to look it up my self lol

i do not think i would touch a headset unless it supports at minimum 90hz refresh and is 1080p or better.

The Vive Developer Edition uses two 1200 x 1080 displays that refresh at 90 frames per second

Last edited:
Since I am a bit late to the party here, I went back and did the explorer mini game last night for the Carrack. OMG at the scrolling required to beat that thing. Since the outcomes seemed random, it took me several tries to complete it. I ran out of fuel or morale right at the end several times before getting lucky and finishing it.

I'm both excited and concerned regarding Valve's SteamVR platform (VIVE headset is only one part of it, but they plan to add motion controls, plus some sort of 360-degree sensor/camera base station that will allow you to actually walk around if you so desire) . My worries for Star Citizen are the same as many other games - Which VR systems will it choose to support, and how similar will they be? We now have (eliminating minor competitors and console-focused stuff) SteamVR vs Oculus Rift, vs OSVR. All of these platforms have different specs on their development hardware (of course, no final hardware has arrived), and there are questions about the openness of SDK/APIs and if any middleware is necessary.

Star Citizen has always been keen on supporting VR and that has always been discussed in the context of Oculus Rift, but what of the other solutions? I've been concerned that the whole affordable-consumer-VR thing could fall apart due to fragmentation - most people aren't going to want to buy more than one headset/VR setup, and if developers have to support proprietary, incompatible platforms that narrows it down on that end. Now, its likely that CIG can afford and will do so if need be, but I'd much rather the platforms be unified, open, and hardware agnostic (assuming of course said hardware has specs as required). It will be interesting to see what comes of this, but I hope that Valve isn't foolish enough to attempt platform lock-in with this technology.

It's pretty crazy how good an Aurora is when you borrow the size 3 shields and Sawbucks off a Cutlass. The Aurora is about as survivable, just as deadly and handles a hell of a lot better. Once REC comes out that should give all those folks with Auroras a lot of room to upgrade.

Todays RTV notes: http://imperialnews.network/2015/03/reverse-verse-episode-37-notes/

Today is the earliest that AC v1.1 could hit. HOWEVER, not necessarily today&#8230; it could be tomorrow or Saturday or next week&#8230; or whenever it is ready.

&#8211; 1.1 contains REC and there is a lot of stage setting for FPS and Social Module.

&#8211; HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO JAMES PUGH!

&#8211; 1.1 is not planning to go to PTU but it *might* happen.

&#8211; Disco Lando helped with the edit for AtV this week.

&#8211; Thomas Hennessey did the &#8216;breaking bad-ish&#8217;

&#8211; Multiplayer free-flight is close but not in 1.1.

&#8211; Cutlass designed to be worse dogfighter than the Hornet, but better than the Aurora or 300i. Has the big advantage of being able to board and haul.

&#8211; Ships are typically slightly more expensive ($5 or so) for flight-ready sale and hangar sale than concept sale.

&#8211; CIG has plans to honour Leonard Nimoy.

&#8211; Access to FPS: Alpha backers have access. Those without Alpha will require $5 FPS pass. New packages will go up in price $5 and include FPS.

&#8211; Retaliator commercial will come with Retaliator variants.

&#8211; Cinematic people currently constantly working on Squadron 42.

&#8211; Cutlass is being revamped in UK but is not close to ready yet. Cutlass Blue and Red will be in after this revamp.

&#8211; Gladius flyable and Retaliator in hangar for V1.1.

&#8211; New damage states for AC ships: Slowly more and more ships will be given the new damage state system.

&#8211; Drake Herald is not in production currently.

&#8211; Vanguard will be the next concept ship. Looking great.

&#8211; Redeemer is at Illfonic to refine its FPS capabilities.

&#8211; AC 2.0 will contain many multicrew ships.

&#8211; PAX East video will be up Monday.

&#8211; Some videos will go live during presentation that will be queued up to go live on the site.

&#8211; No pricing details on Vanguard or Hull series.

&#8211; Working on a new holotable.

&#8211; Sim Pod probably in 1.1

&#8211; Major revision of gimbaled weapons upcoming. CIG devs working on balance feel that there is no downside to gimbals right now. This will be changing such that fixed weapons have advantages too.

&#8211; Changes to gimbals MIGHT be in the design post tomorrow on weapon changes.

&#8211; Chelsea and James in a battle for who swears the most among the community team.

&#8211; Still determined to be controller agnostic.

&#8211; Any news on the Caterpillar? No.

&#8211; Reaching the point in Star Citizen development where ships will no longer be the big milestones, releases will be.

&#8211; Community team going to see Chappie tonight.

&#8211; Starfarer in progress (needed for SQ42).

&#8211; Jenny is spending the whole show eating&#8230; :D

&#8211; Planetside/social module will be similar to AC when it launched&#8230; &#8216;just the bare bones to begin with, then we&#8217;ll add meat and organs&#8217;.

&#8211; Two design posts and monthly report this weekend (including Friday).

&#8211; Character customization in social module. Doesn&#8217;t sound like it will necessarily be with the initial launch.

&#8211; Planetside/Social module is the first expansion of the real Star Citizen universe (not a simulation).

&#8211; CS is now under 1000 tickets for the first time since Christmas.

&#8211; 100,000 tickets in the past two years.

&#8211; Hat, challenge coin, travel mug coming.

&#8211; CIG got shipment of returned dog tags. They need the bumpers and key rings and then they will sort them and contact the owners.

&#8211; New character animations with V1.1. One of the reasons V1.1 is &#8220;coming in hot&#8221;.

&#8211; If CIG can get rights to the GDC presentation video, they will post it.

&#8211; 890 JUMP not in progress currently.

&#8211; Jenny is redoing the fan kit (which hasn&#8217;t been redone in 2 years). She is also doing a brand refresh.

&#8211; Constellation rework underway in Santa Monica.

&#8211; Cutlass is being reworked &#8216;entirely&#8217;.

&#8211; Org 2.0 delayed due to Turbulent being insanely busy.

&#8211; Talking about second wave of the early T-shirts.

&#8211; Modified &#8216;Cal is my wingman&#8217; shirt coming back that doesn&#8217;t say &#8216;Cal is my wingman&#8217;.

&#8211; They have investigated a bajillion different manufacturers for physical merchandise.

&#8211; Terra not changing names.

&#8211; Idea is that Terra and Earth are in conflict, both wanting to be &#8220;Earth&#8221; as in the centre of the UEE. Therefore, the name fits and will not change.

&#8211; Ben&#8217;s job: designs spaceships, planning marketing strategies, hosts YouTube TV show, along with pretty much everything else.

&#8211; Voyager Direct melting is the subject of a current debate internally.

&#8211; MISC Endeavour is in concept.

&#8211; Ben will start sitting down with Travis once a month and creating a document that shows where each ship is in its production schedule.

&#8211; Room system will be utilized more with the social module.

&#8211; Tony Zurovec immediately wanted to expand the Planetside experience when he joined the project.

Back