Star Wars Jedi: Survivor

It's not just the CPU itself, it is also the chipset. Coffee Lake Refresh is still using an updated chipset that was introduced with Skylake 4 years prior to its release. The features are ancient in PC terms. The 9900K is basically 8 years old when you take its 4-year age and add another 4 years to it. That is why I am currently assembling a 7800X3D system when I typically upgrade my platform every 5-7 years.
Yeah, but I still don’t have a problem with literally 99% of the games I play.

At 4K my 3090 is virtually never bottlenecked by my 9900k. Of the 500 plus games in my library I’m happy with the performance in virtually all of them, with a few exceptions.

I was going to buy a 4090 at launch, and upgrade my entire system at the same time - but it seemed like such a waste when my system was, and still is, running so well. I’ve always loved being on the cutting edge of technology, but I’m aging, and I now have to look towards the next phase of my life when I’ll have much less income.

That said, you bought an AMD cpu because it’s new tech? I’ve always gone with Intel. I’ll look into it.

EDIT: which motherboard are you planning to buy with the 7800x3d?

EDIT: So I read up on the 7800X3D - it seems that as of April 2023 this is probably the best CPU for gaming, and it’s on a new platform.

I now have to consider this. Thanks for alerting me, Armenius.

Last edited:
At 4K my 3090 is virtually never bottlenecked by my 9900k. Of the 500 plus games in my library I’m happy with the performance in virtually all of them, with a few exceptions.
That's fair, but I think the point was that eventually you're going to see performance fall off more and more and a relatively outdated cpu/chipset is going to be a primary factor.

Looks like the stuttering is caused by older hardware CPU's while the game is trying to do shader compiling. This is explains why some people aren't having as big of an issue as others.

This should hopefully be fixed soon? But with EA who the fuck knows.

Respawn really does a good job on single player games, it just sucks that this one got kicked out of the door too early. Some have speculated that it might be because the new zelda, diablo and final fantasy games are coming out soon but I really wonder if that was it or EA just decided on a hard release date after the initial delay and that was final. Either way I'm going to just sit on the fence myself for ~2 weeks and see how it looks.
Star Wars game. They likely want it to be out around May 4th for obvious reasons.

That's fair, but I think the point was that eventually you're going to see performance fall off more and more and a relatively outdated cpu/chipset is going to be a primary factor.
True, But the game is built around Zen 2. Coffe lake refresh is better than zen 2. And being unreal engine 4 it should do fine. Theoretically. But this is the same group that did the first one so..

Looks like another update is rolling out right now. At least the EA/Origin version. That the second one I've gotten in 24 hours. Hopefully it'll become playable soon. I assumed it would ship in bad shape (like 95% of PC games do), but am hoping to actually play it relatively soon.

8K Epic settings Ray Trace on seeing 19GB-23GB

OLD guy
52860487061_fb2fb625a4_o.jpg

Main guy
52860487051_165a362656_o.jpg

Looks like the stuttering is caused by older hardware CPU's while the game is trying to do shader compiling. This is explains why some people aren't having as big of an issue as others.

This should hopefully be fixed soon? But with EA who the fuck knows.

In the video Steve says while his testing was relatively smooth their video editor's 4090 i9-3900K stutters poorly. Also mentions it varies from user to user so difficult to nail down the culprit.
Reflects the experiences in this thread, some have it worse than others.

In the video Steve says while his testing was relatively smooth their video editor's 4090 i9-3900K stutters poorly. Also mentions it varies from user to user so difficult to nail down the culprit.
Reflects the experiences in this thread, some have it worse than others.
What they failed to realize is that once you disable the E Cores on the 13900K, it runs buttery smooth (I'm living proof of that). They weren't really living up to their hype in that testing scenario. I am averaging 60 FPS at all times on my 13900K with a 7900XTX. The E Cores seem to be the entire cause of the stuttering, I'm guessing the game is shifting back and forth from the P to E cores intermittently.

What they failed to realize is that once you disable the E Cores on the 13900K, it runs buttery smooth (I'm living proof of that). They weren't really living up to their hype in that testing scenario. I am averaging 60 FPS at all times on my 13900K with a 7900XTX.

can you take a video during gameplay using MSI Afterburner enabling the frame time graph...the graph will show you the stuttering...the hitches/stuttering are represented as spikes on the graph...the longer the stutter, the bigger the spike

I think the stuttering is there for everyone...some people may not be as sensitive to it or just don't care but it can't be dismissed as not being there when it's a technical issue with UE4...I still see it with the previous Fallen Order game but it's not as bad now and it doesn't adversely affect me during combat...I can easily play and enjoy Fallen Order but it definitely still suffers from stuttering...I never played it at launch so I don't know how bad it was then

Last edited:
can you take a video during gameplay using MSI Afterburner enabling the frame time graph...the graph will show you the stuttering...the hitches/stuttering are represented as spikes on the graph...the longer the stutter, the bigger the spike

I think the stuttering is there for everyone...some people may not be as sensitive to it or just don't care but it can't be dismissed as not being there when it's a technical issue with UE4...I still see it with the previous Fallen Order game but it's not as bad now and it doesn't adversely affect me during combat...I can easily play and enjoy Fallen Order but it definitely still suffers from stuttering...I never played it at launch so I don't know how bad it was then
At launch (Fallen Order) I didn't see the stutter at 4K60, but the timings were all broken because they were initially linked to 30 FPS. I didn't have any issues once I turned off my E Cores (Survivor). The stutter existed before that, perhaps it just became so minimal I could look past it. I played the game for like 17 Hours and I got burned out with some of the jump puzzles and how absurd they were. Accounting for exhaustive periods of the game and made no sense to me at all. I will have to give your suggestion a go and post my results, even though I am not sure I want to revisit the circle of hell the jumping puzzles put me in.

What they failed to realize is that once you disable the E Cores on the 13900K, it runs buttery smooth (I'm living proof of that). They weren't really living up to their hype in that testing scenario. I am averaging 60 FPS at all times on my 13900K with a 7900XTX. The E Cores seem to be the entire cause of the stuttering, I'm guessing the game is shifting back and forth from the P to E cores intermittently.
I haven't tried that on my 12900K.

I played the game for like 17 Hours and I got burned out with some of the jump puzzles and how absurd they were. Accounting for exhaustive periods of the game and made no sense to me at all. I will have to give your suggestion a go and post my results, even though I am not sure I want to revisit the circle of hell the jumping puzzles put me in.

some of the puzzles in Fallen Order were confusing and I hear they are even more fiendishly clever in Jedi: Survivor

some of the puzzles in Fallen Order were really confusing and I hear they are even more fiendishly clever in Jedi: Survivor
It's not clever when you're being plot hammered into a linear path that you have to restart the entire sequence of after minutes of jumping until your fingers are locked up. There is noting clever about survivor's puzzles. I had no issues with Fallen Order at all. This damn game... ugh

You don't seem to grasp that there are people that have the stuttering on CPUs that do not even have e cores.

You don't seem to grasp that there are people that have the stuttering on CPUs that do not even have e cores.
Yeah - 100% getting stutter on a 5800x3d, which one would assume would be the 'best case scenario' given the AMD console port and cache.

I grasp that just fine. I am simply telling people what worked for me. IT worked IMMEDIATELY and ran FLAWLESS the entire time I played the game after disabling them.

I grasp that just fine. I am simply telling people what worked for me. IT worked IMMEDIATELY and ran FLAWLESS the entire time I played the game after disabling them.
Well from the way you were wording it, you didn't seem like you were referring just to your experience. You were saying ecores were entire the cause of stutter so I thought you meant just that.

Yeah - 100% getting stutter on a 5800x3d, which one would assume would be the 'best case scenario' given the AMD console port and cache.
I don't know what to tell you. I considered picking one of those up. then tried AMD 7700 and that was a shit show, so I moved back to Intel and have had Zero issues ever since. I went with brute force, zero efficiency, high frequency Intel and it has been awesome in everything I run. Just my story.
Well from the way you were wording it, you didn't seem like you were referring just to your experience. You were saying ecores were entire the cause of stutter so I thought you meant just that.
No dude, I am just hoping it fixes Intel user's issues. the game is probably switching between the E and P cores because it's coded like dogshit. I don't know what to tell you guys on the AMD side of the spectrum other than, get a kick ass GPU. Everyone I have talked to on here that has an AMD processor with a kickass GPU has ZERO problems playing the game.

I don't know what to tell you. I considered picking one of those up. then tried AMD 7700 and that was a shit show, so I moved back to Intel and have had Zero issues ever since. I went with brute force, zero efficiency, high frequency Intel and it has been awesome in everything I run. Just my story.

No dude, I am just hoping it fixes Intel user's issues. the game is probably switching between the E and P cores because it's coded like dogshit. I don't know what to tell you guys on the AMD side of the spectrum other than, get a kick ass GPU. Everyone I have talked to on here that has an AMD processor with a kickass GPU has ZERO problems playing the game.
Well, I'm seeing pretty much every reviewer even with top of the line AMD CPUs having the same problem. Plenty of videos from well-known reviewers such as Daniel Owen showing that.

Well, I'm seeing pretty much every reviewer even with top of the line AMD CPUs having the same problem. Plenty of videos from well-known reviewers such as Daniel Owen showing that.
That's not my experience with the [H] users here. i just talked to a guy today that had a 5950X and a 4090 that was having ZERO issues. I was even talking to another [H] user that only had a 2080Ti and was doing just fine playing the game on an AMD Processor.

So, perhaps, the review sites you're looking at don't know what they're doing.

The game is set it, save it, quit, and restart it to get changes to take effect.

Interface is dogshit, so is the coding.

I will say this again, like before. If you don't have the game and you haven't tried to get it running you have nothing to say to any of us that do and have played the game and tweaked the settings. You're not telling me how bad the experience has been for you, you're parroting talking points like all the other people that don't have the game but cite reviewers.

If you got it, I'm still not sorry because you haven't tried enough things to actually make it run smooth (and it will on AMD or Intel hardware). Know why? Because the PC platform is a fuckton more powerful than consoles are.

Jedi: Survivor uses RT reflections, indirect lighting and shadows?...is this true?...I didn't think they would use as many RT features as AMD GPU's can't handle it...why are all the RT features enabled with a single On/Off toggle instead of separating each RT setting individually?

Jedi: Survivor uses RT reflections, indirect lighting and shadows?...is this true?...I didn't think they would use as many RT features as AMD GPU's can't handle it...why are all the RT features enabled with a single On/Off toggle instead of separating each RT setting individually?
Consoles can't even turn off RT. I'm sure if they worked on the game longer you might have those options. And right now they are probably busy putting out fires so it may be a while if we do get those extra RT options.

Wow. Disabling the E-Cores had a massive impact on how the game runs. It does hitch for a split second and of course, with ray tracing on I do get some FPS drops occasionally but it's worlds better than it was. The near constant stuttering and hitching I experienced before is gone.

since some games had issue with 12 series e-cores+drm, makes sense that the same might happen on 13 series(others, not you dan).
edit: fixed wording

Last edited:
Sigh it only requested an update after I played the game and exited. It did not ask for an update when initially opening EA App even letting it idle for hour +.
Also the EA App is atrocious, download / update stuck... Pausing / resume does not fix it. Had to restart app.
Never had these issues with Origin, bnet, steam, gog.

since some games had issue with 12 series e-cores+drm, makes sense that the same might happen on 13 series(others, not you dan).
edit: fixed wording
There have been comprehensive reviews in the last few months showing the performance difference between having ecores disabled or enabled and there was not a single game mentioned that caused any stuttering though. In fact, in every single one of those reviews the conclusion was it would make no sense to turn those cores off because if anything, it provided an overall smoother experience. Yes, there are some games where you do lose a little bit of performance, but again there's no mention of any stuttering issues.

There have been comprehensive reviews in the last few months showing the performance difference between having ecores disabled or enabled and there was not been a single game mentioned that caused any stuttering though. In fact, in every single one of those reviews the conclusion was it would make no sense to turn those cores off because if anything, it provided an overall smoother experience. Yes, there are some games where you do lose a little bit of performance, but again there's no mention of any stuttering issues.
Reviews don't always reflect the performance that everyone will see on their own setup.

Reviews don't always reflect the performance that everyone will see on their own setup.
To be clear, I'm not saying that ecores are not causing stuttering in this game, but I'm just saying in all of those in-depth reviews of other games it was not an issue there.

I hope somebody can take the time to actually post a video of this game running with and then without ecores enabled so we can see the actual difference.

To be clear, I'm not saying that ecores are not causing stuttering in this game, but I'm just saying in all of those in-depth reviews of other games it was not an issue there.

I hope somebody can take the time to actually post a video of this game running with and then without ecores enabled so we can see the actual difference.
if it wasnt an issue then why did GB create a utility to turn them off? and why did intel work with ms to patch it?
there are a few here. maybe one will?

Sigh it only requested an update after I played the game and exited. It did not ask for an update when initially opening EA App even letting it idle for hour +.
Also the EA App is atrocious, download / update stuck... Pausing / resume does not fix it. Had to restart app.
Never had these issues with Origin, bnet, steam, gog.

I didn't find an update option and picked Repair and it appears to be redownloading the entire fucking thing, ugh.

Wow. Disabling the E-Cores had a massive impact on how the game runs. It does hitch for a split second and of course, with ray tracing on I do get some FPS drops occasionally but it's worlds better than it was. The near constant stuttering and hitching I experienced before is gone.

earlier you claimed that you only experienced it for a "second here and there"...in another post you claimed it was a "minor issue"...now all of a sudden after disabling the e-cores you're claiming that you previously had 'near constant stuttering and hitching'

the people that are always claiming amazing performance in games that everyone has issues with but always seem to backtrack later on and admit that they did have issues

https://hardforum.com/threads/star-wars-jedi-survivor.2017171/page-9#post-1045638440

I picked the game up today because I was craving some light saber slashing... I have played for about 3 hours or so, no crashes.

For the most part, it mostly runs 65-75 FPS @ 4K, all epic settings with AMD FSR disabled. There are more stutters than I would like to see, but I have played worse over the years. Hopefully they can optimize it a bit, but it wasn't so bad as to make me not enjoy the experience. It is mostly not that bad. It seems to kind of come in bursts, like something is loading in the background or something.

Gameplay closely resembles the previous game in the series, seems fairly fun to me.

earlier you claimed that you only experienced it for a "second here and there"...in another post you claimed it was a "minor issue"...now all of a sudden after disabling the e-cores you're claiming that you previously had 'near constant stuttering and hitching'

the people that are always claiming amazing performance in games that everyone has issues with but always seem to backtrack later on and admit that they did have issues

https://hardforum.com/threads/star-wars-jedi-survivor.2017171/page-9#post-1045638440
To be fair, I'm further into the game than I was at the time. Secondly, I had stuttering here and there as for how often, I'm not entirely sure how often it was. I wasn't counting them or documenting them. I just know that the smoothness and feel of the game is dramatically improved simply by turning off my E-cores. Furthermore, the framerate issues I experienced are no doubt similar to what other people experienced. While some people are claiming the game is unplayable because of this, I've never felt that was the case. Whether this is a minor issue or not is a matter of perspective. Lastly, the game would hitch and stutter like hell in new areas and it would clear up and be mostly smooth. That being said, I was used to the way the game ran. Now that I experience it without the stuttering and less frequent frame drops, it's a lot different. It showed me just how bad the game was running before.

Clear enough now?

Back