Steam: Mafia II only $7.50 (midweek madness)

Was wondering why nobody had posted this deal :p
On the fence on this game if its anything like GTA4 or Just Cause ill pass hate the crap out of both games :/

How is this on PC? I played the first one on XBox and made it about 90% through the game before getting stuck on a mission and calling it a career. My backlog is huge, but I am tempted to add this game if it is comparable to the first and playing with a keyboard and mouse isn't impossible to play with.

Excellent game. Loved from start to finish.

I agree, I'm not usually a huge third person shooter fan but I really enjoyed Mafia 2.

How is this on PC? I played the first one on XBox and made it about 90% through the game before getting stuck on a mission and calling it a career. My backlog is huge, but I am tempted to add this game if it is comparable to the first and playing with a keyboard and mouse isn't impossible to play with.

I never felt the urge to even try a controller with this game. Mouse and keyboard support was fine and I'm usually pretty susceptible to mouse acceleration.

I'm very glad I bought this game during the Christmas Sale. But still haven't gone through the DLC yet though. Joe is by far my most favorite character, love his accent. :p

It's a fine PC game. I don't believe it's a port.

The developers were originally PC developers so they know what a PC game should be like. (Though not all PC developers still make good PC games. See: Bulletstorm).

I thought it was pretty mediocre.

If you have a high end nvidia system and you can max out the physx (dual GTX 480's worked pretty well for me), the game can be really good at parts. But it's depending on the physx rather than good gameplay. Like there's this one part where you shoot up a wood store with some mobsters and it literally falls apart with thousands of splinters and pieces of wood flying everywhere. Epic if you're running physx, probably lame if you aren't.

The gameplay is below average though. Mission checkpoints badly placed, low variety of cars and they handle poorly, some very silly hand to hand combat mechanics, very little to do in the gameworld, etc. Not saying you won't get your $7.50 worth out of it, but it's a game you may buy and barely play at all if you have a backlog of good games. GTA IV is light years ahead of this game in all aspects except storytelling, which is not a strong point of either game.

bah just bought it damn you Steam,
this better be good or else is razor blades and lemon juice for lot of u ! :mad:

Last edited:
Anyone know how this games works with triple monitor?

Will definitely pick it up if it can handle it natively.

Guess I will look around as well...

I heard good things but just kind of forgot about it. I love when I do that, though, cause then I end up buying when the game is $10 :)

The demo worked fine with my eyefinity setup. I plan on getting this while it is this cheap.

Mafia 1 is my all time favorite PC game. Mafia 2 was a huge disappointment after years of hoping and waiting for its release.
The story is mediocre compared to mafia 1. I still look forward to Mafia 2 mods though. Check out the multi player mod. I hope they pull through because the Mafia 1 MP team never did.

Thanks OP

I might just have to get this, though like many others here, my back log is huge. I have games that I bought in 2009 that are still waiting to be played.

Hell of a deal. No excuses now for those that haven't picked this up...

Last edited:
I thought it was a good game overall. The story is decent. It's not that it is a bad story, it's just a little mobster-cliche is all. The game world is open, but it feels more linear because it isn't huge.

What I liked most about the game was the art style. The game really FEELS like you are in that time period. The cars handle like shit because those old cars handled like shit. The radio plays old time tunes. The clothing and architecture is authentic. It was just fun to play a character from that time period.

It was not a game that was worth $50. Probably not worth $20. But at $7.50, it's a for sure buy.

Worth it to wait for a multi-pack with the included DLC? I picked up Borderlands at launch and have been kicking myself for not waiting to get the version with all the DLC...

Deluxe edition worth it or no?

Haven't played it, but a few extra missions seemed worth $2.50 to me. Plus some cars/getups are fun too.

I don't like supporting the DLC economic model, but might as well get with the times.

This is a great game, one of the rare games I paid near full price for because I was a devoted die-hard fan of the first one right from the original release date before it even gained the initial cult following that eventually led to the re-releases and sequel. Fabulous game.

Does deluxe include all 3 DLCs or just manmade pack?

Just manmade pack I pick up the deluxe version which comes with that the Digital Art Book (pdf file), Orchestral Soundtrack (mp3's 43 or so) and digital map of empire bay(pdf).

OK, I did pick up the Deluxe version, but where did the game put my music and artwork files ? I can't seem to find them anywhere in the steam folder !

As most of you said already, Mafia 1 was one of the best games ever, this one seems short and streamlined, but fun nonetheless and worth 12.5 Euro (in my case)

Look in your Steam folder, go to the folder that says "steamapps", then "common", then "mafia ii" and you'll see the "Digital Deluxe" folder with the extra content.

If you buy the regular version from Direct2Drive, and use the hangover code, it comes to $6 + the few cents in tax. And it tells you to activate it on steam. ~$1.50 less, but the deluxe isn't on sale there.

If you buy the regular version from Direct2Drive, and use the hangover code, it comes to $6 + the few cents in tax. And it tells you to activate it on steam. ~$1.50 less, but the deluxe isn't on sale there.

Just did, amazing how $1.50 was the last straw :p

Got the stupid needs to talk to a rep error. Oh well fuck em, over to Steam it is.

Ugh, so I bought it and I am getting an insane number of graphical anomalies (Half the stuff doesn't render until I get 2 feet from it then it just appears, I assume they are driver related even though I have the latest WHQL drivers, might have to try beta.

Also, there is a constant annoying buzzing sound that NEVER goes away , not in the menu or anything, bugs the shit out of me.

Ugh, so I bought it and I am getting an insane number of graphical anomalies (Half the stuff doesn't render until I get 2 feet from it then it just appears, I assume they are driver related even though I have the latest WHQL drivers, might have to try beta.

Also, there is a constant annoying buzzing sound that NEVER goes away , not in the menu or anything, bugs the shit out of me.

Sorry to hear that. I haven't had any technical issues with the game whatsoever, has ran like butter for me.

37% into the game and I am loving it. I would like to ammend my previous statement, this is a worthy successor to the original title, however the amount of cutscenes is insane. On the upside, this game plays like an interactive movie ! Awesome !

Sorry to hear that. I haven't had any technical issues with the game whatsoever, has ran like butter for me.
Same here. Maxxing out everything @ 1920x2080 with AA on my 6850.

37% into the game and I am loving it. I would like to ammend my previous statement, this is a worthy successor to the original title, however the amount of cutscenes is insane. On the upside, this game plays like an interactive movie ! Awesome !
Agreed. I like the cutscenes. It's crazy how most of them are rendered in realtime too. I'm loving the gunfight gameplay.

Back