Stock AMD HSF - what comes with which chip?

kleptophobiac

Supreme [H]ardness
I just opened up a 4600+ X2 and it came with the same dinky HSF the 3000+ came with two years ago. I saw some stuff about a heatpipe based 80mm AMD HSF. Which chips come with it?

I was under the impression that the socket-939 X2 4200+ and above ALL came with the newer heatpipe monster. I believe the X2 3800+ came either way, not sure if all the X2 3800+'s come with it now or not. Did you buy this CPU brand new retail boxed or as a "refurb" from a place like Newegg? Sounds like you might need to get on the phone to either AMD or the place you bought it!

It was new retail from newegg. I'm also interested in what the 3500+ venice comes with.

Hum the x2 should of came with the newer stock 4 heatpipe copper heatsink. Thats odd. Maybe they had that cpu for a long time and its older. Strange.

Yes the x2 3800 comes with the crappy aluminum one, not the good 4 heatpipe one. The 3500 venice also will have the crappy aluminum heatsink. All single cores come with the basic stock aluminum heatsink.

I thought only the dual core Opterons came with the four heatpipe cooler while the X2 4400 and up came with a two heatpipe solution?

But yeah the single core and the X2 3800+ come with the regular cooler.

Right he bought a X2 4600. Should have the 4 heatpipe copper heatsink. I thought anyways. I belive the x2 3800 and maybe 4200 were the only ones that shipped with the crappy aluminum one. I dunno. I know all opteron dual cores have the good heatpipe heatsink. No single cores do though.

Back