Storage system for parts

DangerIsGo

2[H]4U
I'm posting this here since I thought it would be the best place for it.

I bought 2x 7 drawer organizers from Walmart about a year ago. I have since been forced to remove the casters due to the cabinets buckling under the sheer weight of the items inside. In case what the items inside you were wondering, they are PC parts, components, etc.. All my 'extra' has been put in these cabinets. Well, I wanted them mobile so I can move them around easily if necessary. Several months later, the frame started to buckle and I couldnt even close some drawers. I asked for a new, sturdier metal frame with casters for x-mas and I got this:

http://www.amazon.com/Advantus®-Por...0I/ref=sr_1_14?ie=UTF8&qid=1333300270&sr=8-14

Its nice, though one of these doesnt equate to the same capacity as one of the plastic ones, I settled. Last night, I started to transfer everything from one cabinet to the other and found out that the drawers buckle under the weight and fall out of the tracks, as many of the reviews had said. My modding skills are coming up short here so I am looking at using this as a file cabinet instead.

Anyone have any ideas on what I could use to store my PC parts in? Something with drawers, something with casters, something that can support a little weight. Any recommendations? First hand experiences? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I've had good luck with the modular wire shelving systems (example), and have put the plastic drawer/organizers as needed in a few of the cubes.

Ikea also has lots of good stuff, too.

If you're loading more than what that example shelving system can hold, then the question remains of how much weight do you need it to hold? What kinds of surface would this device have to roll over? We just need a better idea of the tolerances and capabilities you need.

My current place is carpet but my new place will be hardwood floors. So really any kind of casters would suffice. Once its positioned, its really not going to be moved unless I have to vacuum or want to rearrange some things.

Things its going to hold. Can range anything from lots of cables, to DVDROM drives, to HDDs, WC parts, more odds and ends (smaller things), fans, you name it. Probably about 50-60lbs a cart. I found this at Ikea

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/40196241/#/40196241

But im hesitant since it says "The drawers are designed for letter-size papers." and its also $120 :p

So either metal or wire drawers (close mesh wire, not open wire where smaller things can easily fall out), about 6 drawers, on casters and can support up to 50/60 lbs is what im looking for.

A few options come to mind...
1. This rolling cart seems similar to what you want, but has a weight rating closer to your needs (50 pouns). Consider using a few of these if you want to better group the parts.
2. A wire baker's rack, with casters, could work when combined with some large plastic drawers sitting on some of the wire shelves.

Using some in-drawer organizers and/or a fishing tackle boxes for the really small stuff would be beneficial.

The sturdyness you're looking for could be found in the InterMetro standalone shelving/rack system from ContainerStore.com. They have casters, drawers (with inserts so shit won't fall out), or just use boxes (they've got a huge selection of them).

Personally, I use a Billy bookshelf with doors, and keep my parts in boxes. I've got an intermetro tower shelf for my printer, scanner, and to hold extra cases. Cables and other crap go into some plastic drawers you can find at walmart/target -- I simply don't overstuff mine. Also, I got rid of a shitload of extra parts. :D

+1 for using metro racks. we use them in the restaurant industry and they're designed to hold a ton of weight, and come in a bajillion different configurations.

Back