Super Slow Speeds

Jello

[H]ard|Gawd
Im trying to figure out what the heck is wrong with my network.

I have cable internet with a Toshiba Cable modem, plugged into a netgear router.

In the house I have 2 lap top computers (both use wireless) and a hard wired computer (7ft run)

Page loads are super slow,Downloads are slow, and when I tried to run xbox live it lagged like crazy.

I am trying to figure out what the heck is going on and killing my internet speeds.

Thoughts opinions?

Thanks guys,
Will

also lately, its sending way more packets then received and likes to freeze up. Then I have to restart the router to get my internet connection back.

Bad router?

Have you tried running the broadband w/o the router? what about router firmware? ISP capping your bandwidth?

ping is a tad high for less than 50 miles. Plug your computer directly into the modem and run another speed test. If you yield the same results plug in your laptop. If both computers are experiencing less than normal(what you pay for) bandwidth I would give your ISP a call and tell them that you're experiencing problems and not getting the bandwidth that you pay for.

Those speed tests look pretty good, you mentioned that it looks like your transmitting a lot of pakcets, sounds like a computer on the network either has a virus or is running a P2P app that is using all your upload bandwidth, hard to tell with the info you have posted, if your router has SNMP you could use software to find out exactly how many bytes are coming in/out of your connection. And you can see if the upload is saturated.

Saturated upload will kill downloads.

Directly connected to the modem.

No computers on the network are running a P2P.

Thoughts?

Directly connected to the modem.

No computers on the network are running a P2P.

Thoughts?
Test with another computer. If you still get the same results what kind of bandwidth are you paying for?

Seems to be signs of a low signal level on your cable line, you should get that checked out. I complained to my isp a few times and they sorted this problem out.

Now i have another question... Along the same lines.

I assume wireless has slower download and upload speeds simply because its wireless but how much slower.

After the new cabel modem im around 15,000 download directly wired, wireless im down at 3k

Is this normal? Should I look into a new wireless router?

No, it is not normal to be so slow, whats the signal like, also what connection speed are you getting between the wifi adapter and the router?

wireless is slower due to over head, encrytion, interference, are you using wireless G or B or N or A?, you wont ever see the 54mb of wireless G speeds they tout.

when you plug computer directly into modem, do you have the same problem?
if no, its a bad router
if yes, call ISP

i never really get these cable threads, you should call isp first and they will check signal and packet loss tests to your modem, that will tell you everything. if they say signal or packet loss then you have them come out and fix problem, if no then its after modem.

Wired Im getting full speeds 15,000...
Wireless Im getting about 3,000

I am using wireless G, My signal strenth is Full Bars, and speed is 48mbps.

Thanks guys

It seems to vary (some days i have few problems), but it's been really bad the last 2 days.

But here's the twist: If i switch to a different account on the same computer, the problem disappears.

This makes me think that it's a virus or I've somehow become part of a botnet, but Kaspersky turns up nothing.

Anybody have any clues how to go about trouble shooting this?

It's not that I can easilly switch to a different account (or even create a new one) and get around this, but I'd like to fix it or at least know what's causing it.

Thanks

Nilepez

try a diff AV

like nod32 or AVG and get spybot search and destroy

or format your comp :D

Back