Superfetch and AVIs

mwarps

Supreme [H]ardness
Can someone explain to me why superfetch is trying to cache 4 AVIs that I just ripped from DVD?

Every single time the machine boots up, it spends 5 minutes constantly accessing the hard drive at full bore (50MB/sec per resource monitor, which is a nice tool, FWIW) reading these 4 new AVI files.

I have turned off Indexing for the drives,and I have disabled the Windows Search service.

Any input is welcome. This is completely unacceptable. There is absolutely no reason for the entire folder (~1.7GB) to be read over and over and over again (totals over 2GB read for each file per resource monitor)

I "fixed" it by moving the files to a different directory (not in the user's documents).. It seems to have settled down.

Can someone explain to me why superfetch is trying to cache 4 AVIs that I just ripped from DVD?

Every single time the machine boots up, it spends 5 minutes constantly accessing the hard drive at full bore (50MB/sec per resource monitor, which is a nice tool, FWIW) reading these 4 new AVI files.

I have turned off Indexing for the drives,and I have disabled the Windows Search service.

Any input is welcome. This is completely unacceptable. There is absolutely no reason for the entire folder (~1.7GB) to be read over and over and over again (totals over 2GB read for each file per resource monitor)

Indexing and Superfetch are not the same! Indexing is enabled on certain folders by default. This is for faster searches. That said, I don't really leave anything in the My folders except for some pictures, so I don't really notice this, however, if I were to start indexing my entire C: folder, that would be a different matter.

Indexing and Superfetch are not the same! Indexing is enabled on certain folders by default. This is for faster searches. That said, I don't really leave anything in the My folders except for some pictures, so I don't really notice this, however, if I were to start indexing my entire C: folder, that would be a different matter.

Yes, thanks for that. I was making the statement that I am fully aware that indexing and superfetch are not the same thing, and that indexing was OFF, the entire windows search service was disabled, and that for some reason, superfetch was eating the harddrive. RCFTW.

EDIT: to be thorough, the PID accessing the file has 8 services attached:
WPDBusEnum(Portable device Enumerator Service)
Wlansvc (WLAN autoconfig)
WdiSystemHost (Diagnostic system host)
UxSms (Desktop Window Manager Session Manager)
Trkwks (Distributed Link Tracking Client)
SysMain (Superfetch)
PcaSvc (Program Compatibility Assistance Service)
Netman (Network Connections)
AudioEndpointBuilder (Windows Audio Endpoint Enabler)

Back