Supermicro X9SCM-F-O Issues

pc299

Supreme [H]ardness
I just got a X9SCM-F-O, E3-1230 v2 and 4x4GB Kingston DDR3-1600 ECC (KVR16E11K4/16) I've checked and it came with the latest 2.0b BIOS, so it fully supports the CPU.

The system resets roughly every 5 minutes, regardless of what I'm doing. It doesn't matter if I'm in Windows, running Memtest, have it paused at the Windows F5 screen, etc. If I'm connected via IPMI, I stay connected and it continues to function through the resets.

I'm using a pair of WD Scorpio Black drives in RAID1 for the OS, and I've noticed the resets seem to happen more frequently with both drives present, but it still happens with only one (perhaps because it's attempting to rebuild the array?)

I called Supermicro and they said it could be a PSU issue, or memory if it continues with a different PSU. I'm going to try a different PSU tomorrow (I'm using a brand new Seasonic X750 right now, but I'll use a known good Silverstone ST60F to test)

Unfortunately I don't have any other DDR3 Unbuffered/ECC RAM to try but I'm guessing that's the culprit. I''ve tried using a single DIMM in slot 1A and it still happens. I know a few on here use this board for ESXi so I'm wondering what some known working RAM is.

Thoughts? Suggestions? Any insight would be very helpful.

If anyone cares, a different PSU didn't make a difference. I ordered (4) KVR16E11/4HC directly from Kingston (the RAM is on Kingston's supported list for the board and uses Hynix ICs (Supermicro validated against similar Hynix DIMMs))

I'm east coast so I probably won't get the RAM until the 6th or 7th, but hopefully it'll solve my problems.

I hadn't but I just did:
CPU: Low
System: 35c
Peripheral: 34c

Hmm...
I don't like this!
I'm planning myself to buy Supermicro X9SCM-F-O, Intel Xeon E3-1230 v2 and some Kingston ECC memory (16GB or maybe 32GB).
Ideas:
0. Try a MemTest without any HDD connected.
1. Try to keep it simple: with just 1 HDD, 1 DIMM memory. Do a MemTest. Try the next DIMM and so on...
2. Find an Intel Core i3 2nd Generation CPU to test the system

Good luck!

0 and 1 - Already done, still reboots
2. Don't have access to any other Ivy Bridge CPUs other than an i7-3930s and I'm not tearing apart my SG05 to pull it

I'll update this thread when I get/test with (4) KVR16E11/4HC

BTW, here's Kingston's compatibility page for the X9SCM-F: http://www.ec.kingston.com/ecom/hyperx_us/modelsinfo.asp?SysID=70800

Supermicro only seems to test with Samsung and Hynix ICs, so I picked the one 4GB DDR3-1600 DIMM on the list with Hynix ICs

No luck with the new RAM, I'm going to call Supermicro when they open in 30 minutes :mad:

Have you checked if the watchdog function is enabled in the bios? Every 5 minutes sounds suspiciously like the watchdog restarting the system. Worth a shot at least.

Supermicro thinks I may have a bad board, and I have it all packaged to go back, but that's a good point. I don't think the watchdog function is turned on but I'll re-assemble it enough to test.

Have you checked if the watchdog function is enabled in the bios? Every 5 minutes sounds suspiciously like the watchdog restarting the system. Worth a shot at least.

wow... that was it. Apparently either this board wasn't really new or somehow it got turned on during production. I didn't enable the watchdog function but it was definitely enabled... once I disabled it has been stable since, almost done with a full memtest pass now (61 minutes and counting)

wow... that was it. Apparently either this board wasn't really new or somehow it got turned on during production. I didn't enable the watchdog function but it was definitely enabled... once I disabled it has been stable since, almost done with a full memtest pass now (61 minutes and counting)

Glad to help, i've never had much luck with the watchdog function on supermicro motherboards, it seems mostly useless and sometimes broken.

Great news!
I'm happy for you.

Now I can build my system:
- Supermicro X9SCM-F-O
- Intel Xeon E3-1230 v2
- Kingston ECC memory (16GB or maybe 32GB)

Great news!
I'm happy for you.

Now I can build my system:
- Supermicro X9SCM-F-O
- Intel Xeon E3-1230 v2
- Kingston ECC memory (16GB or maybe 32GB)

Sounds good, mine has been rock solid since my last post... transferred 12TB to it, been running IOMeter on the array for the past week to beat on it, zero issues. I'll have to take a couple pictures at some point.

Really happy with how it turned out. Fan connector laying on the bottom is for the side panel

Back