Surface Pro won't connect faster then 5.5mbps to Linksys WRT320N

okashira

[H]ard|Gawd
Tried two surface pro's - same problem

Router is known good for 4-5 years, has no issues with any other devices

Firmware: DD-WRT v24-sp2 (03/25/13) vpn
(just updated again, same problem before)

Here is what happens:
http://www.speedtest.net/result/3337219472.png
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B2J7486MLa-KOVNkcWtWWUVmNmZLYURERTFUNGEwNms0dncw/edit?usp=sharing

^^ Notice the Wireless speed is 5.5mbps. It's always like that when the surface is transferring data

Tried: every possible setting under wireless, n only, 5ghz, g only, etc. Tried no encryption. reflashing router, rebooting router, factory reset on surface pro, windows 8.1, different drivers for wifi adaptor, rebooting

Nothing works. Any ideas?

I tethered to my cell phone (note II) which has at&t hspa+ and was able to get 6mbit on a speed test. so it's definitely an issue between router and surface.

again the router has worked perfectly with 30+ devices that have crossed it, and continue to, so I see no need to replace it.

I have this issue with my SP1 as well. It was always capped at like 3MB/s, even on wireless N downloading a file from a fileserver on the lan. Others have had the issue and suspected a driver issues, but I haven't looked into it for months now. I was hoping it would have been fixed by now.

Thanks for the post.
...And you just put up with it? Thing thing's going back if I can't fix it.

Flash your router back to stock. I had the same issues and after a few hours the common pattern from a google search was dd-wrt. Flashed my linksys back to stock firmware now no issues.

Thanks for the post.
...And you just put up with it? Thing thing's going back if I can't fix it.

If you need to move large files over wifi to the local LAN all the time, then return it. That's something I do very little, if at all, so it's not a big issue for me.

This was also on a Buffalo router with DD-WRT. I never tried large files on a different LAN/Router.

The main use for the surface will be streaming blu ray video (XBMC or similar) so 4mbps won't cut it.

Flash back to stock? ... But literally 30+ other devices work fine with the router ?

I wouldnt even know where to get the stock firmware. Been on ddwrt like 4 years.

I would definitely suspect the Surface being the problem. Seeing this myself it's always been a distance/interference related problem, every time. The only other conclusion when you have thoroughly tested the way you have is to assume something is wrong with the hardware itself or software (drivers).

Either see if there are any Windows Updates that would resolve the issue or check for driver updates. Not much else you could do there if you've already done that. A few things I would check, especially with these mobile devices that love to save energy, is look for any energy saving feature and turn it off.

Disable Bluetooth if it's on and see if that helped (some google searches showed similar results as yours and that improved things).

Disable Airplane mode completely.

Go into the Power Settings and turn everything up to the max, especially for the Wi-Fi/LAN components.

Seems like a well known issue for the Surface Pro that has already been attempted to be fixed by MS prior.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...-bug-too/4f2c20e7-d267-4fb0-a4f9-d8a94c450f5d

I would definitely suspect the Surface being the problem. Seeing this myself it's always been a distance/interference related problem, every time. The only other conclusion when you have thoroughly tested the way you have is to assume something is wrong with the hardware itself or software (drivers).

Either see if there are any Windows Updates that would resolve the issue or check for driver updates. Not much else you could do there if you've already done that. A few things I would check, especially with these mobile devices that love to save energy, is look for any energy saving feature and turn it off.

Disable Bluetooth if it's on and see if that helped (some google searches showed similar results as yours and that improved things).

Disable Airplane mode completely.

Go into the Power Settings and turn everything up to the max, especially for the Wi-Fi/LAN components.

Seems like a well known issue for the Surface Pro that has already been attempted to be fixed by MS prior.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...-bug-too/4f2c20e7-d267-4fb0-a4f9-d8a94c450f5d

I am not sure if I have tried increasing the power settings for wifi. I will try that.

I don't that link you posted applies? I don't have limited connectivity. Just locked at 5.5 megabit.

One other thing. How do you actually "turn off" bluetooth? I haven't found such a switch. I just go into device manager and disable the driver.

That didn't do it, but I reluctantly flashed the linksys factory firmware back to the router for the first time in 5 years. That seems to have done it.

I have lost OpenVPN, so I am not happy about it - so I may still return / sell it.

That didn't do it, but I reluctantly flashed the linksys factory firmware back to the router for the first time in 5 years. That seems to have done it.

I have lost OpenVPN, so I am not happy about it - so I may still return / sell it.

The WRT320N is an older router, it's time to pick up something beefier anyways. Or you pick up something slightly more expensive/faster like the E3000 to save money.

I own a WRT320N that I loved for a long time. I think I bricked it by trying to use a mega DD-WRT build but I can't remember. I still have it just in case I ever buy or make that jtag cable :).

I understand your pain I flashed my e2000 back and it worked. I have no idea why but the problem seems to bee dd-wrt and surfaces.

Back