Sustaining the highest boost speed?

JimmiG

2[H]4U
I'm trying to figure out whether my 1800X on the Asus Prime X370 Pro is behaving normally or if something is wrong with the cooling.

When running 8/16 threads it boosts to (and sustains) 3.7 GHz as expected, but it's not sustaining ~4 GHz when running single threaded workloads. It still only reaches 3.7 GHz sustained.

Complicating matters, I can't get any reliable temp readings.The previous BIOS shows 30-ish idle, 58C full load, but the latest one shows 56C idle, 74C full load. Obviously the latter numbers are way too high, but I don't know whether they are accurate. If the CPU was overheating, why would it boost to 3.7 GHz in multi-threaded workloads? Wouldn't it stay at 3.6 then, or even underclock itself?

I don't want to rip out the heatsink and get a new one if it's actually a BIOS issue. I am using the PH-TC14PE with an AM4 mounting kit that uses the stock backplate, which according to some is a problem, but on the other hand I've also read that boost might not work properly with some BIOSes.

Would appreciate if someone else could check their clock speed while running a single-threaded task like Furmark CPU stress test @ 1 thread, or Cinebench single threaded.

Last edited:
What motherboards do you have?
edit: Nvm, see it now

Last edited:
I think its possible your not able to correctly read what the clocks are actually doing....what software are you using? hwinfo reading the same issues?

I think the clocks are correct, both HWInfo and the latest AIDA64 beta agree.

Here's with Cinebench Single-Threaded running and nothing else:
http://imgur.com/a/VUzai

As you can see, some cores have hit 4092 MHz briefly, but they only sustain 3692. Occasionally one core will boost, but I'd have to be quick with the printscreen key to capture it. This is the case even if I lock the Cinebench thread to one core using Task Manager.

Last edited:
Back