System boots with i3s but not booting with i5s.

Kaiga

Gawd
Hey all, I'm not much of an Intel guru here, (I've worked more with AMD (even though I'd love to run myself an i7 soon)

I'm working on a friend's computer here. We've covered all the bases.
He's running a Gigabyte GA-P55-UD3R which is a P55 chipset. It's flashed with the latest BIOS, BIOS settings are stock.

He originally brought it to me with 8 GBs of Corsiar XMS3 that runs @ 1333, 9-9-9-24 and a Core i5 750 (Lynnfield core). Its running two 4860's running in Crossfire.

When we boot it up with the Core i5 in it. it boots up with nothing but an endless rapid beep, only thing to do is shut it down.

Well the first thing I tried doing was swapping out memory to something simpler and slower like some kingston ValueRam. Got nothing out of it. Then I decided to try a different processor which was a Core i3. Once I had it in there with the heatsink mounted, it booted up just fine.

So we came to the conclusion that the Core i5 he bought was bad. Well, this is his 3rd one, the Core i3 still works but we still cannot get it to boot with a Core i5. And I know there is no way that he has run into t3 bad i5's in a row.

Right now I'm thinking it's a problem with the motherboard, but why can it boot with an i3 and not an i5? Are there any clock settings that I need to change in the BIOS to get this thing to boot with an i5?

Thanks for any help, it would be really appreciated.

Back