system failure due to overclock

t0x1k

Gawd
Ok I haven't been in the loop for a while so my computer knowledge is a little rusty.

Here's the specs, I know it's ancient.
Asus P4P800 delux
2 ddr400 mushkin 256
2 ddr400 crucial xms 512
P4 2.8G 800fsb
6800GT 256mb

I don't want to upgrade but I feel I might have to.

Here's my problem. I was trasnfering my parts into a new case. I went to power it up an I got nothing, no display.
I got fed up and transfered it back into the original case. I got 2 short beeps followed by a brief pause and 6 more beeps all short. 2 beeps are for PSOT failure and 6 beeps for memory failure.

I narrowed it down by removing everything but the cpu and booted up, no beeps, not display(obviusly, no vc.). Added ram, Now I turned my speakers up cause I heard a faint sound and it was the VOCAL POST saying it was cpu failure due to overclock. But I don't overclock and I reset my bios so it should be defualt settings.
I put everything back an no more beeps but still failing to boot and continueing to tell me its 'system failure due to overclock.

I can only think that the cpu is fried. I don't see how. I wasn't charged but I was within 4 feet of my tv which was on, but my computer was sitting 1 foot from my tv for 2 years.

I can't afford a total upgrade from mobo to video card and if i do i want to be able to get a dual core and still use ddr400 and my agp card. But 3 mobos on newegg isn't enough choices... And newegg only has 1 800fsb p4 478 socket cpu and it's a prescott.

Any idea what it might be other than a fried cpu?

Sorry for any horrible grammar I'm typing on a laptop and and i've got huge fingers.

Thanks in advanced

bump, anyone know of anything else to test other than try a different cpu?

I am with ya, dont make sense.

Only thing I can think of is stuff you probally already have done.

Pull the battery for the Cmos and let it sit with the clear cmos jumper installed for an hour with no power to the board and the switch on the PS truned off or better yet unplugged from the wall.

Have you tried it without installing all the ram ? i.e, one stick and try different sticks ?

If VC is installed I always leave the screw on the slot cover loose and double check its seated well, as cases tend to not line up (height wise),untill I get a good boot. I am trying to say that screwing down the video card will sometimes cause it not to seat properly in the socket on the motherboard, this is unlikely as you put it back in old case , but I am trying to think of all the weird gotcha's.

hmm double check the standoffs and make sure a motherboard mounting screw head is not somehow misaligned and touching a MB trace. /shrug

i ran into a problem similar on my old pc and i flashed the bios to fix it.i dont know if that would work in your case but it did in mine.that is if you can get past the post.

I just wanted to add that in your case you may want to do what BillParrish said ,but leave it out for like 8 or 9 hours . You will get a better bleed off from this .( don't forget if it's an old system battery go bad too ) and you would also no be able to post with a dead battery!
But I would leave it out over night ,8 or 9 hrs.Also you have to have your video card installed with monitor and keyboard also connected.

Back