Technical ramblings about Blackberry Storm

coolie_d

2[H]4U
Well, as alot of us know, the Storm is Blackberry's first touchscreen based device. And alot of people complain about the fact that it 'runs' significantly slower than the iPhone, and is oftentimes laggy, especially with the latest official OS, v4.7.75 (Verizon) - the latest non-hybrid leaked OS floating around is 4.7.103; and it is significantly better, although still not an iPhone-esque experience.

What alot of people don't realize is, the Storm's current OS is basically just a version of the old BB OS with support added for touchscreen. Nothing for 3D acceleration (more on that later); basically the current OS vastly underutilizes the hardware platform.

The Storm is based on the Qualcomm MSM7600 chipset, which incorporates the following:

400MHz ARM11
274MHz ARM9
OpenGL ES graphics acceleration
--> 4M triangles/sec
--> 133M pixels/sec fill rate
all driven by dedicated 3D hardware (I think I read somewhere it's PowerVR)

Notice the part about OpenGL ES..... I believe that is what the iPhone currently supports that the Storm is lacking. I look at the Storm as a work-in-progress; that one day a new OS could be released for that makes it seem like a brand-new device. Maybe it'll be upcoming in the v5.x OS release. But RIM would be stupid not to design an OS around the OpenGL ES chipset since it exists in the device.

Back