Temp Probs.. I know you have seen this a million times....

Dudeyourlame

[H]ard|Gawd
Hey Guys i just got my NV silencer 5 and ati cooler revision 3 for my ati 9800 aiw pro also my 200 gig drive... got everything installed good and all that ati cooler didnt fit over the Tv Tuner so.. i ripped the cover off it .. problem fixed.

ok now my nv silencer 5 i first installed and i barley put much AS5 on and it was idling at like 96 C .. so i quick shut it off .. took it off and noticed it was hardly touching it ..

so i put on a pretty good amount and tightened screws and plugged it back in got like 58 C ...

i have seen people idling on these at 40 to 50 C .. any advice to get it down farther??? should i wait over night to let it set in?? or am i jsut a noob or what? lol

oh and btw sorry for my HORRIBLE Structered Post :(

A couple things that you'll want to take into consideration:

1) When you put AS5 on you chips, there is a recommended period of time that you let it set. Check out their website and let the AS5 set; it won't necessarily reduce your temps, but it might.

2)It's important to take into consideration your ambient temps, as well as your case config. If you are in a hot or humid area, then your temps are going to be higher than someone in a cold and dry climate.

3) It will take time for the AS5 to set, and after it has set, you'll likely have 2-3 degrees off your temps.

thanks for the suggestions man.. ill jsut let it work itself in over the next few days .. oh and ambient is 42 C which is probably a leading factor to the hotness

heres some pics to explain my cooling and all that ... my hard drives make ALOT of heat i wouldnt doubt

http://www.hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1027254807&postcount=953

Edit I live in Minnesota.. its freezing outside :/. so we got the heater on ..pretty high up there

Well the NV5 cooling and the stock 6800 Ultra cooling offer vaguely similar levels of performance. With a 35C ambient my core is idling at 54C. I reckon you're seeing things about right. Get the temp display up and then run rthdribl (Google it) windowed for 15 mins. It's your peak temps you're interested in. 80-ish is probably fine with that cooler if you're running a big overclock.

Oh yeah, and I've never noticed any performance boost from AS5 after a burn in period.

well im glad im not the only one running up there.. my loads after playing 2 hours of Ut2004 was like 70 to 72 (used to be 84 or something on stock) ..oh and its quiet so im happy with it

mulpsmebeauty said:
Oh yeah, and I've never noticed any performance boost from AS5 after a burn in period.

I'll admit that I haven't personally found a significant difference from the setting period, and I'm willing to grant that it might be ambiant temps dropped, sensor is reading differently, etc, but it is recommended at the AS site, and thus is at least an advisable thing to do if he's worried about his temps. At the very least, letting the AS5 set can't hurt.

Dudeyourlame said:
thanks for the suggestions man.. ill jsut let it work itself in over the next few days .. oh and ambient is 42 C which is probably a leading factor to the hotness

heres some pics to explain my cooling and all that ... my hard drives make ALOT of heat i wouldnt doubt

http://www.hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1027254807&postcount=953

Edit I live in Minnesota.. its freezing outside :/. so we got the heater on ..pretty high up there

If you want to see if its your HDD that are causing a lot of the heat buildup in the case, you could try unplugging all but one of them...that'll let you see, generally, what kind of a difference the HDD are making. Also, is your computer near a heater? If so, move it away from that, and see if that makes a difference.

meh ill probably never do the unplugging my hard drives

and no my computer isnt near a heater

The harddrives look to be a factor. They restrict the airflow and preheat the incoming air. Hows the super lanboy? Looks like it could use a dusting :rolleyes:

Back