Thanks to [H]ardOCP members who visted 3Dfx collection

The discussion of the Rampage development was interesting. Quite a glimpse at what 3DFx might have been able to pull off had they pushed a little harder. Then again, in 2000 it was all about aggressive companies, and 3DFx just ran out of breath.

A death stroke to one of the finest companies ever to grace their way inside my case :)

Oh...I had one of the V3 3k retail PCIs, based at 183. I managed to get that sucker stable at 225 :eek:

Just one question:

I really enjoy some older games like Tomb Raider, Quake, and other Glide-based games. Would it be worthwhile to hunt down an old V5500-PCI or something like that? Is it better than using a Glide wrapper?

lithium726 said:
wow, you have a rampage...

excuse my french, but that is fuckin' awesome! does it work correctly? benchmarks!!

Heh, I'm waiting for the dongle to flip the DAC output but work it does.

I'm not expecting anything earthshaking, the drivers are not that mature eh?

pr0nasaurus rex said:
Just one question:

I really enjoy some older games like Tomb Raider, Quake, and other Glide-based games. Would it be worthwhile to hunt down an old V5500-PCI or something like that? Is it better than using a Glide wrapper?

I think so, but then again have never tried a wrapper. The 5500 PCI are going pretty cheap, and for the old games a 4500 PCI would do just fine too.

You can pickup a 4500 for $10-$15 bucks and it will do 2 tap AA.

See: http://www.thedodgegarage.com/3dfx/bench.htm

Will give you an idea what a 4500/5500 will do on some older titles.

gdonovan said:
I'm not expecting anything earthshaking, the drivers are not that mature eh?
yeah, but dont you have friends that can whip some up? they did that custom GL driver i thought

lithium726 said:
yeah, but dont you have friends that can whip some up? they did that custom GL driver i thought

Rampage is based on nothing done before at 3dfx, it doesn't even have glide support. It was going to have native OpenGL and Directx support with glide through a wrapper.

I do have friends looking into an updated OpenGL driver.

gdonovan said:
Ah crap, I passed the first one on the page up about a week ago for $1 at the local microseconds. Didn't think a thing about it.
frown.gif

qb4ever said:
Ah crap, I passed the first one on the page up about a week ago for $1 at the local microseconds. Didn't think a thing about it.
frown.gif

The Orchid Voodoo Graphics boards are pretty easy to find on Ebay for a buck or two if you were looking for one.

You talk about ram being expensive... I remember when ram was $100 PER MEG..... I bought 2 USED sticks of 1MB, for $110.... the guy had bought it 6 months before for $200.

QJ

THought I'd poke my head in and post some new pics since the tread hasn't been updated since '05 :D

main.php

Picked up another functioning Mercury brick off Ebay so now have two Mercury systems!

main.php

Primary Image Voodoo Graphics Piranha- The only Voodoo Graphics board made with 3 TMU units.

main.php

Quantum3D 3 channel Iron system with 200SBi's

main.php

Four 8164 boards (8 VSA-100 chips each) from Ebay, hope to have them tested next week.

Just some random stuff, I'll try to pop in time to time with more new stuff, there is plenty added to the site since this thread was last updated.

Gary

P.S. for some reason the pics are not showing, I'll try to look into that tonight...

Haha, nice!

I still have my Creative Voodoo 2's laying in a box unused. I remember playing Team Fortress Classic back in the day with one. Then I got my 2nd board and the jump from 800x600 to 1024x768 was godly for me in those days. :D

What a wonderful stroll through memory lane. Back in the day if anyone asked me which 3D card to get I simply said "get a 3dfx board." Too bad Graphzilla put 'em under. Thanks for such an awesome site gdonovan!! :D

Agreed; nice site. I always hated 3dfx back then because they were expensive and I was an nVidia fanboy (had TNT2 Ultra and GeForce2 MX). It was a little sad to see its decline after the turn of the century, though, especially when the Voodoo 5 came out...

And who knew ATI would turn out the way it did?

I had a , NO.# 9 card and a 3dfx Voodoo2 for my graphics experience !!.

My Creative 12mb Voodoo2 SLI is still alive and well. A few months ago I put together a vintage PC out of spare part salvaged off the scrap heap for an "old school" gaming box. For nostagic reasons, I just couldn't just let these two cards collect dust in the closet.

Box #10
Windows 98se
Crappy ATX
Austin 300w PSU
DFI CB60-v3 vIA motherboard
Celeron 466a (retail HSF)
768mb generic PC133
Visiontek GeForce2 MX200
Creative 12mb Voodoo2 SLI
Turtle Beach Santa Cruz
Seagate U10 Model ST310212A 10.2GB
Lite-On LTC-4816H DVD/CDRW
NEC 17" CRT
MS IntelliMouse

SLI detected just fine on the first try.

old_school.jpg

I'm even using the original wallpaper that came with the it. That classic box image:

BIGVD.jpg

FYI. I forgot to mention, I originally bought my V2s in February of 1998. That's right. I was the first kid on the block with 'em and it's been running ever since. Man, was I ever proud.

It still boggles my mind that we lost 3DFX. They were the best cards at the time.
I was always using an S3 Savage Pro, but then moved to the voodoo2 and I will always miss it.

There needs to be a sub forum here on [H]ard in the video card section called "3dfx Flavor" and inside there's simply just a stickied thread linking to this guy's site. Total legend.

I always hated 3dfx back then because they were expensive and I was an nVidia fanboy (had TNT2 Ultra and GeForce2 MX). It was a little sad to see its decline after the turn of the century, though, especially when the Voodoo 5 came out...

Well, you certainly got your wish now, didn't you? :mad:

Yaa, good job.

I hope you enjoyed spreading your 32bit FUD around in the internet even though at 32bit the TNT2U couldn't muster more then 5 fps at 800x600.

:D It's been a long time waiting to resume that argument!

Mwahahahahahahaha! nVidia shall dominate all! Voodoo met its demise at the hands of GeForce and soon, so will you!

Actually, a year ago I ran "demo four" (Quake III) with a TNT2 Ultra, Pentium III 500MHz, at maximum settings (including 32-bit color depth), 1024x768, and got something like 24-27 frames per second. Not quite playable at that resolution, but perhaps at 800x600 or 640x480 the results would be different. So there. ;)

EDIT: I would be more than happy to start this argument since I was but in middle school when the GeForce cards came out and had no one to argue with about graphics cards. I just put together a Pentium III 1GHz system and I have a TNT2 Ultra and a GeForce2 MX lying around so I can run some benchies if needed.

Yaa, good job.

I hope you enjoyed spreading your 32bit FUD around in the internet even though at 32bit the TNT2U couldn't muster more then 5 fps at 800x600.

:D It's been a long time waiting to resume that argument!

I always thought it was stupid too. Then later I thought the whole SM3.0 was as bad. Then I got bioshock and was glad a certain company had moved to SM3.0 so I didn't have to worry about it on my 7800GS.

Then I thought DX10 was stupid....

In the end, 3dfx was just spread too thin. Although "Rampage" is a well known "could have been" project for the company, I think the most interesting would have been their "Brazo" motherboard with an on-board Voodoo3 and Aureal Vortex sound chip. For 3dfx collectors, I think getting even a non-working specimen would be real prize.

brazos1.jpg

This thread really brought me back in time yet again. I recently recovered my first home made gaming machine complete with a Voodoo 3, 3000 AGP. Haven't tried to fire it up yet, but I'm not ready to part with it.

I own a Diamond Voodoo 2 8mb, a V3 3000 in the retail box (mint 10/10), and the V4 4500 32mb.

Can't believe I get all misty over vintage hardware. I lived about 40 minutes from San Jose and it was such a glorious boom time in the Valley. Great website - I'd give my eye-teeth for that black 3dfx baseball cap.

Owned:

Voodoo3 3000 PCI
Voodoo5 5500 PCI

I put all my lawn mowing money into my first 3d card. It was the voodoo 1 4meg!

I put all my lawn mowing money into my first 3d card. It was the voodoo 1 4meg!

lol it took me 4 months of begging and pleeding my parents to get a creative 3d blaster voodoo banshee 16mb, that was my first real graphic card that i can actually remember, and it still works to this day. its currently sitting in my old socket 754 system since the DFI board doesn't support ATI cards and my only working nvidia agp card(TI 4200) blew 4 caps.

Back