The apple collection

Qtip42

[H]is Modness
I was looking at the apple collection (website) the other day and was actually impressed by the amount of people who draw up ideas for apple products...Most of the products are lame because the designers have no idea how computers function interally but it's still a pretty cool page to check out.

http://www.theapplecollection.com/design/index.shtml

Anyone else into the design aspect of custom cases or am I alone in this?

Seen it before, and there's some neat ideas on there. The only thing lacking is apple's aftermarket, 3rd party support, and stubborn attitude of wanting to be in their own little world.

The thing that stops most mac people from modding heavily (like pc owners) is the proprietary parts apple uses, the very small aftermarket availability, and apple not opening up to the world and allowing open face design measures. It really turns me away from mac's, but others may differ in opinion. I think if they made common standards like a PC, they would be much more successful in the market share. I would like to see macs being able to use any hardware or software that is available for the pc, with common mounting points or architecture. That would make me go out and buy a mac in an instant. In some aspects partially what I want is possible, but some is not, and other stuff is very difficult or doesn't work the way you want it.

Yes apple is "different" like their motto claims, but it isn't different in the aspect of people being able to customize their macs very easily with a large aftermarket.

It's not really a question of modifying them. I was mainly pointing out all of these ideas that people draw up........they're just all aimed at being macs instead of PC's.

Having proprietary hardware actually does make it easier to make a custom case (in terms of production, etc). That's probably why apple is so into designing nice looking cases.

In my opinion though, I think they're wayy to understated and simplistic. They're bringing pc's back to the days of black and white, when they should be making them in all shapes, sizes, and colors. You can see when people draw up prototype cases of what they think a mac would look like, it's usually a standard shape (sphere, rectangle, square, cylinder, etc) and white or black...which is boring.

On the other hand, the simple white and black (but mostly white) is the simplistic idea that makes a mac stand out. Computers were never a true "white" that you stated in your previous post.. they were a form of beige or off white... unless of course you are talking about an aftermarket case.. or an alienware case which we all know is not a "mainstream" computer like gateway was back in the day. Anyways, the simple architecture of a mac and its simple colors are truely what makes a mac stand out, impo.

I do believe that a major problem with mac is its impossibility to be upgraded. The mac pro can be updated because it is the only one with a case.. but starting price on the damn thing is 2500! I recently purchased an imac, the one with everything behind the screen, and I know there is no way I will open that sucker up and risk scratching the hell out of it to upgrade the graphics card.. there is just no way... but its style, simplicity, and mac os are all very good selling points.. I have been a pc guy for YEARS and this is my first mac.. I have to say I am truely impressed with this machine...

I think the idea of changing to a different OS for most people is why they don't have a better market share... compatibility issues are the worst.. right now, to own a mac, you almost have to own a pc also... which sucks for the "average" computer user

Also, apple did make their pcs in different shapes, styles, and colors.. remember the random colors they made!?? it flopped... not very many people bit... there changing to recent designs has made their stock raise higher than I have ever seen (i should know, i have owned it for quite some time)

my $.02 .. just wanted to share my ideas

i have a blueberry i mac g3, and i don't like the look of it.
the only macs i've ever liked aesthetics wise were the ipod white and Ti ones.

and osx beat xp in aesthetics too.

Back