The crap list. Crappy led-lit lcd. Do you have one ?

dr.kevin

2[H]4U
Here's the test. If your monitor can't evenly display the solid gray pictures below (Full screen) without banding or clouding, you have a crappy monitor...
http://img191.imageshack.us/img191/4198/25792531.png
http://img840.imageshack.us/img840/631/17524413.png

If you have a crappy monitor, plz state the make and model.

If you have a near-perfect led-lcd, please do tell.

I tested 3 different led-lit monitors recently- asus vh238h, samsung S23A550H, and LG ips236v.

the asus, by far, had the crappiest panel, with shitloads of vertical bands of uneven lighting when displaying the solid dark gray
pic0056q.jpg

I tested 2 asus, and the 2nd one was so crappy that it even had horizontal bands of discoloration. I wonder how that is possible with the edge led's at the top and bottom of the screen.
I thought my first one was an anomaly, but the 2nd one had it even worse.

the LG had the most even lighting.
The samsung also had pretty even lighting, with very slight clouding if you looked hard enough.

the lg and samsung made me wonder how anyone could make such a shitty panel as the one in the Asus. I don't know how the asus vh236/238 got so many good user reviews.
maybe this was a bad batch, as both asus were made in january 2011.

anyone have a viewsonic, acer, or other cheap led-lit monitor?

Last edited:
Samsung PX2370 LED, a thin layer on the upper & bottom sections of the screen appear darker when looking at the patterns, Even more noticeable when playing some games, I just figured its a TN thing because our 3+ year old Samsung 2232BW Plus does the same thing.

The Samsung 2333T sitting next to it does not have these issues although it uses a C-PVA panel.

I bought a Samsung 32" LCD LED (UN32C4000) that was using a cheapo Chimei panel. Let me tell you that the image was awful even after a thorough calibration. Bad uniformity, bad contrast ratio, poor gamma, inaccurate colors. Awful!!!!!!!!!

The inherent problem with this thread is that you can't really believe anyone when they say "my monitor showed it perfectly". The only objective way to put together this apparent list is to have everyone post quality pictures of their monitor displaying those images and then people can make up their own minds about where their standards are.

FYI, just tested my new ViewSonic VX2753mh-LED and it passed with flying colors. Really liking this monitor.

my old laptop is much much worse with the light leaks, I can use it as a low powered lamp at night with a black background. :)

I bought a Samsung 32" LCD LED (UN32C4000) that was using a cheapo Chimei panel. Let me tell you that the image was awful even after a thorough calibration. Bad uniformity, bad contrast ratio, poor gamma, inaccurate colors. Awful!!!!!!!!!

my asus vh238h seems to have a chimei panel too.

modulus said:
The inherent problem with this thread is that you can't really believe anyone when they say "my monitor showed it perfectly".

this is just an informal quick test. Unless they're blind, people should be able to see hot and cold spots on their screen. If lighting issues aren't too obvious, the monitor would be "good enough" in terms of this test.

Now, i'm only testing backlight uniformity in the middle 80% of the screen, not edge leakage.

My Catleap (rev 2C) edge-lit IPS displays those images smooth and even.

Close enough to perfect as far as i can tell.

HP LP2475w - flawless on both pictures - no surprise, this old monitor is a fing beast.

Back