The fix for eyefinity screen blackout issues

I went over the details with gigabyte and asus - and both claim the card itself is supposedly fine and shouldn't do this... which either there are a ton of bad cards out there, the hardware design itself was/is flawed, driver issues, or bios issues. What is crazy is that between the driver changes and the change to power settings in windows, I have reduced it happening quite dramatically - but it still has happened - yet its not a daily occurance anymore.

Is that acceptable for a $599 card (when I purchased)? Do I sit back and wait for drivers or a possible bios update as AMD has not a damn thing to say about it and wont respond to the issue even though there are dozens of threads out there on this very topic - even in AMD's own forums? Do I keep RMAing cards until I get one that doesn't have this issue - where I could actually get a card that has it worse?

I personally, with AMD's silence, think that the initial design is flawed and they are replacing the cards on a per-person basis being silent for all those who don't speak up or are satisified with status quo of there machines.

getting peeved...

HP

Let me know what you all think - I really want to get to the bottom of it. Should I be ok with a $599 card that loses sync about once every day or so (use to be several times a day), or should I RMA the bastard hoping for a good one?

Answer: High quality 6' Displayport cable.

Considering displayport specs calls for a minimum of handling 15m (not feet) of signal with sound at 1080p 60hz resolution shows a severe system design flaw with ATI eyefinity cards if they can't handle 6' (2m) from a normal hdmi cord connected to ATI's own displayport to HDMI adapter. Is the signal so weak that we have to use gold plated cables just to get 2m? What the hell do we have to use to get near the 15m the spec demands?

No, sorry, an expensive cable may allow some of the cards to go an extra 3' (1m), but it shows a flawed design or flawed individual cards, from ATI. Not sure which it is.

I would be interested what length of cable people having black screen issues are having. Myself is a 2m (6') hdmi cable to their displayport - just one monitor. I shudder to think how much more signal loss there would be conneced to 3 monitors? Maybe (I say this half in jest - half seriously) I can only use a 1' cable each to 3 hdmi monitors?

Hi i tried to update bios in my system.

Downloaded This BIOS for my Saphire Radeon 5870

I have two pieces of Saphire Radeon 5870 in my system and three 24 "LCD screens where two of them are connected to the DVI and the third is connected to DVI via a DP> DVI adapter.
I started the computer in dos mode with ultimate boot cd which I have on a usb stick and when UBCD start, I chose FreeDOS.
First, I made backups of BIOS
Code:
atiflash -s 0 backup_0.rom 
atiflash -s 1 backup_1.rom
I then flashed the cards with the parameter -pa because I have two cards ...
Code:
c:\>atiflash -f -pa ati5870.rom
BIOS file: at5870.rom 

checking parameters is missing 
0 adapers updated 
Adapter not found 

ERROR 0FL01 : pres '1' to continue
An error..

Tried to flash only the first card..
Code:
c:\>atiflash -f -p 0 ati5870.rom
Old SSID: 0B00 
New SSID: E140 
SSID mismatched 

ERROR 0FL01 : pres '1' to continue
Any suggestions on what is wrong.

Last edited:
So far as I could tell, the flashing on is caused by the adapter itself overheating, and not by the cards/hardware combo. A DP->VGA adapter I have does not flash at all, but it's a bit fishy with getting the correct resolutions sometimes. On the other hand, the DP->DVI old version USB powered adapter gets the right resolution and generally works fine, but once it starts blacking out/flashing, I can feel the adapter getting noticeably hot.

Did an order on Accell's ATI-certified one on Amazon, so, I'm hoping that fixes the issue this time.

The latest XFX Bios didn't help me any. I tried flashing the generic ATI bios linked at teh start of the thread but it errored out with "Old SSID 2961, New SSDID 0B00, Error 0FL01"

Someone inside AMD said their first patch of displayport adapters (specifically the HDMI ones - but maybe other ones as well) were defective. They didnt tell anyone outside of their company apparently because hardware vendors don't seem to know about this either. 10 to 1 I bet most people having this problem, if they looked on their displayport adapter, will see a model number and at the end of the model number there will be an A B C (or possibly D or later) letter. If you have an A and are having this issues - please post here and tell us the model of your adapter and revision number. I am testing out a new adapter at least for HDMI which may fix the issue - I will be testing it over the next two days or so - in the meanwhile please 1) post again if you have this problem and 2) within that post look at the print on the cable part of the display adapter and type in everything you see there.

Mine DP-DVI(single link) adapter is Saphire branded and says Wieson on the DVI plug; I see no sign of AMD markings on it anywhere and the fact that appears to work flawlessly on by Dell E6400 laptop (nVidia GPU) while not at all on my 5870 makes me dubious about the adapter being the problem. That said, the cable itself has the E119932 and a barcoded tag on the table is marked 44WS103400537.

Which cable has e11932? That is part of the display adapter cable for me. e.g. The part # for the display adapter has several parts, but all the info (for mine anyway) is on the cable.

The end nearest the adapter has on the cable e11932. I am testing on a card send from vendor which THEY tested w/ rev C of adapter. They got it to work with 15' cables flawlessled.

AMD copped to being able to use 15' cables all the time in their lab but not on the first batch of cards with the first adapters. Issue was not the card but the adapter.

I am using the cables to go mini dp to hdmi with 3m cable which failed before. So far after 6 hours no problem but I will test it a couple more days. It is off your cable has e11932 markings on it as does the one that seem to fail for me (but still testing).

Hp

The 6" cable on the adapter. If I disconnect my DVI cables i can get it to work for the boot process and a few seconds past windows login at which point the screen flickers on/off for maybe 20 seconds before going and staying off until after a reboot.

I have XFX DDR3 1 GB 5670. There are no BIOS updates.

Should I try changing Want 0-1 to 1050?

<Feature name="CoreVoltageTarget_0">
<Property name="Want_0" value="1000" />
<Property name="Want_1" value="1000" />
<Property name="Want_2" value="1050" />
</Feature>

Or it will kill the card? Already tried MemoryClockTarget_0 and CoreClockTarget_0 tweaks, screens still flash.

Wow, never heard of this problem before. 100's of dollars for monitors/cables card etc and displays switch off whilst gaming and you need forum members to edit bios' for increased voltage?!?!??!?!?!?

Glad I stuck with SoftTH :)

Back