The [H]ardForum Perpetual Freebies Thread

Free, just pay shipping which probably won't be super cheap due to size/weight. Flat rate may be the easiest if I can find a box, otherwise I'll see what I have.

Intel NUC7i7DNH
No ram, No HDD, only includes the box and a generic power brick.

Story: Boots fine, once. Fight with it for hours but it refuses to boot, reboot or anything resembling working. Throw it in a drawer and it'll boot just find, only to start the frustrating process all over again. I'm done troubleshooting this and I want it to go away. I guess it might be ok if you get it to boot and actually leave it running but YMMV on getting it to boot at all even once. I've tried swapping ram, power supplies, drives, you name it. I'm done with this thing.

Last edited:
Free, just pay shipping which probably won't be super cheap due to size/weight. Flat rate may be the easiest if I can find a box, otherwise I'll see what I have.

Intel NUC7i7DNH

Story: Boots fine, once. Fight with it for hours but it refuses to boot, reboot or anything resembling working. Throw it in a drawer and it'll boot just find, only to start the frustrating process all over again. I'm done troubleshooting this and I want it to go away. I guess it might be ok if you get it to boot and actually leave it running but YMMV on getting it to boot at all even once. I've tried swapping ram, power supplies, drives, you name it. I'm done with this thing.
Pm on the NUC

Intel NUC7i7DNH

PM on the nuc

Love to hear what the fix ends up being on that NUC (as I'm sure Gillbot will too). (y)

For maximum entertainment purpose, if someone is going to shoot it with a .50, at least do it with a .50 API round and record it in slow motion. :)

vc9HUlj.gif

Anyone got a socket 1155 quad core and/or ddr3 ram they aren’t using? I’m trying to upgrade my dad’s PC so he can play Red Dead Redemption 2. He’s pretty much bedridden now so has started playing games again. The first game is one of his all time favorites so I want to get him set up to play the second. Surprisingly he already has an RX560 which can play it but the 2 core no hyperthreading Pentium and 4gb of ram aren’t up to the task.

Logan M I have a few non-matching sticks of ddr3, looks like (2) 4gb and (1) 8gb. LMK if you still need them.

Attachments

• PXL_20230218_011017182.jpg
    PXL_20230218_011017182.jpg
    396.5 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
What size sticks? I've got plenty of 2GB sticks if you need 4.
Hey someone had a couple 4gb sticks so I’m going to go for those. Thank you for the generous offer though!
Logan M I have a few non-matching sticks of ddr3, looks like (2) 4gb and (1) 8gb. LMK if you still need them.
That’d be great I’d definitely take those 2x4gb sticks if you’d be willing. Then he’d be up to 12gbs which is the recommended spec.

Anyone got a socket 1155 quad core and/or ddr3 ram they aren’t using? I’m trying to upgrade my dad’s PC so he can play Red Dead Redemption 2. He’s pretty much bedridden now so has started playing games again. The first game is one of his all time favorites so I want to get him set up to play the second. Surprisingly he already has an RX560 which can play it but the 2 core no hyperthreading Pentium and 4gb of ram aren’t up to the task.
Ram is taken care of with a very generous offer from kyang357 and one from Fenris_Ulf as well. Just looking to see if anyone has an old quad core sitting around now. Thanks so much everyone you’re gonna make a grumpy old man smile. 😁

Looking for literally any sata SSD, size doesn't matter as long as it's more than 10GBs LOL.

Purpose is for a pfsense box, the existing disk in the rack case I got is a standard HDD

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Looking to rehome a couple of AMD cpus and DDR2 ram if anyone is interested. Phenom II x3 720, Phenom II x6 1090T, and 8GB of DDR2 ram (2 different sets of 2x2GB). All working when pulled, but YMMV of course. I only have one proper cpu container which will house the x6, the x3 will have to YOLO in a spare SSD container for shipping. Free plus the cost of a USPS small flat rate box.

x3 720 cpu remains, everything else claimed.

Attachments

• cpus and ram.jpg
    cpus and ram.jpg
    463 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
some require a certain chipset to work
I guess I was lucky then! I swapped the i3-3220 for a Xeon E3-1225V2 in my HP Elite 8300 and it booted up (after complaining about the new CPU and ram) and even had the right CPU listed in the UEFI screen!

PS: While do manufactures still call it BIOS as I believe BIOS is dead and it is UEFI Firmware now?

I guess I was lucky then! I swapped the i3-3220 for a Xeon E3-1225V2 in my HP Elite 8300 and it booted up (after complaining about the new CPU and ram) and even had the right CPU listed in the UEFI screen!

PS: While do manufactures still call it BIOS as I believe BIOS is dead and it is UEFI Firmware now?
Certain generations you can interchange Xeon and core I series, but I know on the 6th generation they are not. I found that out the hard way trying to upgrade my sons pc.

Have a few things if anyone is interested:
  • Pentium 4 CPU 1.8ghz/400fsb
  • Pentium 4 CPU 2.66ghz/533fsb
  • Core i3-2120 CPU
  • Geforce 4 MX 440 128mb AGP
  • Toshiba Satellite L305-S5865 laptop. Mfg date 2006. No power cord, no hard drive. Was told it worked but don't have a power cord to test it. So want to either give it away or... ISO a compatible power adapter?
  • HTC Droid DNA (Verizon)
  • Motorola Droid Mini (Verizon)
ISO:
  • 2.5" PATA (IDE) laptop drive; preferably 7200rpm. Oh, I also need the Dell 2.5" IDE adapter as well it turns out.
  • DDR3 desktop ram
  • long shot, but I need a screen that is compatible with a 17" Dell Inspiron 9200/9300/e1705/XPS Gen 2/XPS M170/XPS M1710. The model I have that has gone bad is a LG LP171WX2(B4)
  • also long shot, a video card for a Dell Inspiron 9300 or XPS Gen2/M170

Located in zip code 28025

Last edited:
Have a few things if anyone is interested:
  • Pentium 4 CPU 1.8ghz/400fsb
  • Pentium 4 CPU 2.66ghz/533fsb
  • Core i3-2120 CPU
  • Geforce 4 MX 440 128mb AGP
  • Toshiba Satellite L305-S5865 laptop. Mfg date 2006. No power cord, not hard drive. Was told it worked but don't have a power cord to test it. So want to either give it away or... ISO a compatible power adapter?
  • HTC Droid DNA (Verizon)
  • Motorola Droid Mini (Verizon)
ISO:
  • 2.5" PATA laptop drive; preferably 7200rpm
  • DDR3 desktop ram
  • long shot, but I need a screen that is compatible with a 17" Dell Inspiron 9200/9300/e1705/XPS Gen 2/XPS M170/XPS M1710. The model I have that has gone bad is a LG LP171WX2(B4)
  • also long shot, a video card for a Dell Inspiron 9300 or XPS Gen2/M170

Located in zip code 28025
What about a 2.5" SSD? I only have 5,400rpm drives otherwise.

Correct. I suppose if you have a 2.5" IDE SSD that would work but I think those are pretty rare?
I have only ever seen one irl when SSD started being a thing. I know cheap chinesium exists tho. If its for a classic computer and wear leveling is not a big issue, why not (insert memory card here) to IDE adapter?

I think this person wants a laptop IDE drive
Whoops totally missed that, just saw the 2.5" and not the PATA. I did have some IDE laptop drives several years ago but they're long gone now. Still have the USB docks and everything.

Good luck atwood, I have some DDR3 SO-DIMMs but nothing for desktop unfortunately.

I have only ever seen one irl when SSD started being a thing. I know cheap chinesium exists tho. If its for a classic computer and wear leveling is not a big issue, why not (insert memory card here) to IDE adapter?
Super Talent remembers. :D I think these drives were actually ide drives and not just a sata to ide bridge + sata ssd. Look at those read writes. Hubba hubba.

Attachments

• supertalent.JPG
    supertalent.JPG
    147.5 KB · Views: 0
PATA is the same as Compact Flash. I think I have a pinout adapter somewhere. WARNING - the lack of TRIM and wear leveling will kill the drive if you use it for paging. I used one in a K6-III on WinXP and it killed the drive in a week. Turning off the swap paging and it ran for years.

Back