The [H] Post Pictures of your ManCave

I love the 3 30" in portrait. Hardly any fish eye effect on the corners, lots more vertical resolution, and less of a feeling of having the picture compressed vertically but stretched horizontally. I tried 3 24" horizontal and hated it for those reasons. 3 30" would be even worse. I tried PLP with a center 30" and 2 20" and loved that, and would prefer to use that, but since neither NVIDIA or AMD support PLP for gaming, I got sick of having to use hacks and SoftTH, and being limited to DX9 games.

Do you find it difficult to see the upper part of the screen? I've been thinking of going portrait with my 3x30" but I'm concerned that I'll have even more trouble keeping track on what's on the screen than I do now with landscape. How far away are your monitors from your chair?

No difficulty at all, but I am about 4.5-5' feet from the screen. I never have to turn my head side to side or up or down to see the screens. It's just one huge wall of information in front of me. One nice thing about the Obutto is that the seat portion of the cockpit isn't attached to the monitor stand, so I have quite a bit of flexibility. When I am working (yes, I do work in it, believe it or not), I will scoot the chair forward maybe 1-2' so I can ready text more easily.

Gotta say I love the extra vertical screen real estate. I actually got a bit of vertigo the first few times I climbed the radio towers in Far Cry 3. The sense of height was pretty palpable with about 90" of screen at 4800x2560. And the space sim X3 Albion Prelude looks freaking amazing at that screen size, though the onscreen text is still too darn to read properly. Currently waiting for patch 1.9 to come out for Skyrim so I can mod it using STEP and play. Skyrim should be great on those monitors.

I watched the movie Looper on the monitors, and while the bezels are more of a problem when watching a movie or TV than when gaming, since the camera position isn't within my control, it was still pretty awesome. The picture was freaking huge. And looked quite good (1920x1080 sized to 4800x2560). I moved the front seat portion of the Obutto out of the way and put my exercise bike there instead so I could bike, about 5' from the screen. That said, I prefer watching stuff on the other 30" monitor in horizontal mode that I have in the study, if only because there is no bezel interruption.

Last edited:
set up my new rack today.
going to get new speakers soon.

Audio-Rig(Final_Insignia_Version).png

the qr code looking things are skyline quadratic diffusors.

auralex blue venus bass traps (which im using not quite as intended, but i like the 1' depth at this location)

mini fusors up top, also from auralex.

acousticmac bass traps in the corners (one not in pic) (and a hockey puck i forgot while i was arranging the equipment):D

i have auralex metro diffusors on the back wall and will be adding quadratic diffusors on the ceiling soon.

here is the back wall.
MetroFusors(back-wall)-part2.png

here is the side wall (auralex absorption panels and mini fusors)
Side-Wall(final).png

the other side wall is a picture window i will be putting more venus bass traps in front of in the coming weeks.

Last edited:
the qr code looking things are skyline quadratic diffusors.

auralex blue venus bass traps (which im using not quite as intended, but i like the 1' depth at this location)

mini fusors up top, also from auralex.

acousticmac bass traps in the corners (one not in pic) (and a hockey puck i forgot while i was arranging the equipment):D

are you getting good results with the hockey puck? ive been looking into using something similar in my setup. what wattage is it?

aardvark sandwich amazing man...no words can describe....how about a turntable and vinyl...can't believe you don't have...??? :D:D

finished half of the ceiling panels today.
did snap a piece off that i have to glue back on.

sounds really, really 'correct' now. i'm a pig in mud.
ceiling.png

Little bit of an update with some new equipment and just updated pictures...

I got it from racksandstands.com a few years ago. It's a VTI modular rack. I built the screen panels as some of the lights were a bit too bright while the room was dark and we were movie watching.

I like the screen panels.. I have a full rack in the room next to my theater just getting to be a little over kill want to down grade a bit..

I got it from racksandstands.com a few years ago. It's a VTI modular rack. I built the screen panels as some of the lights were a bit too bright while the room was dark and we were movie watching.

yeah the rack caught my eye solely because of the panels. they look much better than a bunch of mismatched electronic devices stacked on top of each other with LEDs and wires everywhere. i think i may copy that idea in the future. :)

my wife and i recently purchased our first home, and i was able to convince her that we needed a projector in the basement to watch sports and movies from time-to-time. we agreed on a budget of $1,500 for the projector, an IR blaster, and some wires since I already had the audio equipment. my dad and i completed the install in about 2 days.

for the price, i'm very happy with the results. the epson 8350 is projecting a 132" diagonal image on a medium gray wall, which actually looks pretty good. the sound quality is better than i expected given the tile flooring. i plan on adding a rug under the sofa/coffee table to help some.

there is still a small amount of work to do, like determining how to mount the center channel. it's just sitting on a cheap walmart TV stand at the moment.

8728275600_17488fbdf8_b.jpg

8727157829_8c5d6b6022_b.jpg

8727154811_c026f535d2_b.jpg

8728272618_44e02e1e24_b.jpg

8728271632_a31a45a2b9_b.jpg

8728270512_eefeab6bb1_b.jpg

8728269374_3a5f4f6349_b.jpg

Now that is a nice basement. What is the viewing distance from the projector to the couch? Was it finished before you moved in?

Awesome theater...

What distance from the wall to the projector are you using? I'm looking to upgrade my 'old' projector and want to upgrade from a 110" to a larger screen. Just wondering on the throw distance. Looks great!

What distance from the wall to the projector are you using? I'm looking to upgrade my 'old' projector and want to upgrade from a 110" to a larger screen. Just wondering on the throw distance. Looks great!

I would agree with that.

Now that is a nice basement. What is the viewing distance from the projector to the couch? Was it finished before you moved in?

thanks for the compliments!

the distance from the wall to the projector lens is 13'.

the distance from the wall to the couch is 16'.

the projector is an epson 8350.

the basement was already finished when we moved in. interestingly, there is a media room in the basement, but it did not appeal to me given the location of the ventilation soffit in the ceiling. it would work well for a TV but not really a projector. so i decided to make it my office instead. i think my wife is jealous :cool:

8728210784_c3831b4b3c_b.jpg

8728211878_8f2a806e7e_b.jpg

Nice clean looking theater room. Looks like you squeezed every last inch out of that screen lol

you know it! the original plan was to use floor standing speakers and a 120" screen, but I decided to wall mount some klipsch speakers on top of the image in order to gain a few more inches of "screen". i probably sacrificed some sound quality as a result, but imo, the bigger screen was the way to go!

you know it! the original plan was to use floor standing speakers and a 120" screen, but I decided to wall mount some klipsch speakers on top of the image in order to gain a few more inches of "screen". i probably sacrificed some sound quality as a result, but imo, the bigger screen was the way to go!

Best case would be to install an acoustically transparent screen and install on/in wall spreakers behind the screen. But that costs money. :)

These screens are all A/T screens.

Best case would be to install an acoustically transparent screen and install on/in wall spreakers behind the screen. But that costs money. :)

ive heard from people that those A/T screens let through some light so you need a really bright projector to use them. personally i'm fine with just relocating the speakers so i dont have to buy and expensive screen and a more expensive (brighter) projector. i think the best thing about A/T screens is if you can put the speakers in the wall and put the screen right up against the wall, then you can get a really great looking, clean setup. not for me though. :)

true, and i definitely considered the added cost of the AT screen and in-wall speakers. our plan is to sell the house in 5-7 years, so i was trying to make it easier on my wallet to not have to replace drywall in the event that the buyer didn't want a huge screen on that wall. i also don't know if the studs were in the correct position to allow in-wall speakers to be in the appropriate locations without having to cut them and brace those portions of the wall. anyway, you should have seen my wife's eyes when i showed her the size of the holes required for in-wall speakers :cool:

Back