The highly rated HP Pavilion Slimline PC thread

2 things seem to cause choppyness for me. 1) If the 6150 is run at a very high resolution (above 1280x800 for me). Lower resolutions work fine 2) If the signal isn't VERY strong. I have a high quality TERK HD antenna and if I position it right, all but one channel is nice and smooth. If I adjust the antenna for that channel, two or three of the others get choppy. I think I need to move my antenna farther from my monitor and that might help.

how do you know when a signal isn't strong?

i went through the channel set up within Media Center and kept only the strong signals (full green bars). when the channel's content is HD, it gets real choppy. when the channel goes to commercial (non-HD) it gets smooth. i assume it's a video card issue (i'm running at 1080p).....i'll try reducing the resolution.

EDIT: yeah, reducing the resolution seems to make the playback smoother. i'll test it out later today with NFL in HD :D

I need some help installing the Xbox 360 drive inside the Slimline. Is there an adaptor I can use to install it? It appears that the Xbox HD DVD drive uses one connector for data and power? I've taken some pics:

Here's the back of the s3120n (just for fun):
pic022xa7.jpg

Here's the case open (TV tuner was taken out at the time):
pic019da7.jpg

Here's the case open, with the connector from the DVD combo drive:
pic013wj9.jpg

Here's the back of the Slimline's combo drive (RAM underneath):
pic017ji9.jpg

Here's one of the combo drive connectors:
pic014jt6.jpg

Here's the other connector:
pic016wj3.jpg

Ok, now here's the Xbox 360 HD DVD drive disassembled from its case:
pic007vp3.jpg

Close up of the Xbox HD DVD drive's connector in the back:
pic005kv7.jpg

There was a board connected to the back of the Xbox HD DVD drive:
pic010tl4.jpg

Pic of how the board connects to the Xbox HD DVD:
pic009ye9.jpg

If I can't find an adaptor for the Xbox HD DVD, I can always use the USB that the external drive used:
pic021kd1.jpg

Guys, I sold my slimline to my cousins tonight for a bit less than I had in it. It was a good system, but I'm too much of a tinker'er for a slimline ystem. I bought three different processors for it in less than a month...:eek: The 160 watt PSU was limiting me just a little bit too much. If I could have found - correction - If I did find a 180watt PSU that worked for the slimline I'd probably pick one back up again - cause it was/is a nice little system and I loved the stealthy case and front panel. My cousin's had a family gathering today and when I brought it in all the family was like wow - that's a nice looking PC. One cousin said that's the best looking PC I've ever seen.

Probably true. --- Good luck to all - hope this thread helps people in their slimline modifications!

Hmm...I would like to sell mine too. Not because it is bad; but because encoding takes a long time and it would be a lot faster if I build my own. Maybe someone at work will buy it :D

I bought a CHAINTECH GSV73GS-G2 GeForce 7300GS 256MB 64-bit GDDR2 PCI Express x16 Low Profile Video Card and I have installed it on my machine. For 3months while it worked just fine without any issues. Now when I turn on my machine the machine boots up just fine however nothing shows up on the monitor. I know that the computer boots up because I can tab over twice and then press enter which is the option to shut down the computer and then the computer shuts down. However the whole time that the computer is going nothing shows up on the monitor. I run the HP s3020n though the DVI port to an HDMI adapter into my 32" LCD TV. I have installed the drivers multiple times but nothing happens and most of the times it crashes the computer. After many times of turning it on and off and on again it finally will catch on and boot up to where I can see it. It is getting worse too. Now it will not even go show anything on the monitor. However if I plug the monitor through the stock s-video port to my TV it pulls up just fine. Any suggestions of what could be done? Could it be the power source?

If you're able to display video using the on-board S-Video output, might that suggest that you're BIOS setting has somehow switched back to using the on-board graphics instead of the add-on card video? Perhaps you should pop into the BIOS settings screen and take a look.

If you're able to display video using the on-board S-Video output, might that suggest that you're BIOS setting has somehow switched back to using the on-board graphics instead of the add-on card video? Perhaps you should pop into the BIOS settings screen and take a look.

I have already went in a change the BIOS to PCI-E which is where I have the card plugged into. However to no avail. It still did not work after changing the BIOS. Thanks for the suggestion.

i got one of the slimlines, not sure exactly which model i have, but it came with a 65nm 5000+. Core Temp is giving me a (too low??) crazy temp of 19C/22C, is this accurate? the top of the case and the back feel rather warm. Is there an aftermarket HSF that you guys are using? Like i said, core temp says my temps are great, i'm just kinda nervous about how warm the case is, unless that's normal?

Hey s3120n users. I just ordered an XFX 7300gs from Amazon. I am trying to get better quality OTA HD performance and higher resolution output without overloading my power supply. From wikipedia, the power usage of the 7300gs is much lower than the 8400gs that I tried. It does have a fan, so I'm a little worried about noise, but the reviews on newegg.com seem to indicate that noise isn't a big problem. I'll post a review when I get it installed and let you know how it works in the s3120n.

For those of you having trouble with your slimline (or any other vista machine for that matter) not waking up from sleep. I found a few references to people having the same problem if they changed ANY of the default power management settings. I reset mine to the defaults and used the "recommended' power option, and it seems to be able to wake up now. Hopefully, SP1 will fix it. Sigh.

What is the "best" (i.e., highest performance for gaming) video card these 180W power supplies can handle (without the TV tuner and PCI modem)? I see the specs for the 8800GT requires a 400W power supply :(

P.S. I have changed my power settings (s3220n) and sometimes when waking from sleep I need to press the Windows key to wake 'er up.

The 8800GT will not work because of the size also. These slimlines require Low Profile (half height) cards.

With the GeForce cards, the 8600GT is the best card the 180W PSUs should be able to handle. The only problem with these are getting one! Galaxy and MSI make low profile versions which are almost impossible to get in North America. NCIX sells the Galaxy, but they're not in stock (yet, hopefully, since I as well as others have already ordered one). When looking at highest performance for gaming, after the 8600GT comes the 7600GS, then the 8500GT.

I really don't know much about the ATI cards but they tend to use more power than the nVidia cards. I hear the X1650PRO compares to the 7600GS. But it uses a good amount more power. See here for power consumption info.

This thread may help you.

Does anyone know what type of adaptor I need for the Xbox internal drive (pics above)?

I've heard it's a mini ATAPI conector, the type used in laptop optical drives. See this person's experience.

The interface of the DVD burner in these slimlines are SATA.

I've heard that the adapters for laptop optical drives to SATA do not work with the XBOX 360 HD-DVD drive. Not only that, but I've also heard that they destroy the drive if you use them. Check out this thread for some users' experiences.

Ok I’m just a little confused here, If I want to upgrade my Slimline s3220n with the best all around card, without dropping my pci tuner and upgrading the power supply. The 8500gt is the way to go right, SFF, with or without fan? I know it’s been covered before but, I’m a little slow on the uptake. I’m not currently running any HD DVD in the system, but I’m going to in the near future.
:confused:

A few days ago, I made my first DVD from home movies that I made with my DV camcorder this summer. The Windows Movie Maker packaged with Vista is great for noobs like myself. I was pleased with the results given the simpicity of the whole process.

I was running CoreTemp during the encoding process and grew very concerned about the CPU temps under the sustained, high load. CPU temps were running around 170 deg F for the entire encoding process! Very worried, I tried combinations of fans blowing on the case, eventually opening the case, blowing fans in the case. In the end I just sat back and listened to CPU fan running full speed with temps in the high 160's - low 170's. I realized that inadequate thermal management on this machine was resulting in thermal run-away under these conditions - the fan could absoultely NOT keep up.

Tonight I decided to pop the heat sink off and apply some Arctic Silver 5 that I had laying around from all of my laptop rebulids. I had never really been impressed with AS5 before. I just figured it was ordinary paste and couldn't rationalize it's fanatical following by techies that seem to know what they're doing. But I decided to give it a try, one last ditch before I could justify liquid cooling this machine to the wife.

The stock TIM that HP decided to use in this application was stiff and blue in color. It was so stiff, that I have a suspicion that it was a cured thermal pad more than any compound. I picked it off and cleaned the surfaces with 91% isopropyl alcohol. I applied a spot the size of a half-grain of rice on the center of the chip and spread it out with my finger until it was uniformly thin - I could still read the print on the processor through the thin layer of paste. Then re-attached the heat sink.

I am encoding the very same video right now as I type this and my core temps are: 149 and 135 deg F at 100% load as reported by Task Manager. I am seeing a real 20 degree drop in Core temp with AS5. Even more impressive is the fact that the CPU fan has no problem keeping up with the heat with much less noise than before. Have you ever noticed that within mere seconds of starting a processor intensive application, your CPU fan speed begins to ramp up and stays up until load is reduced? Now with AS5, my computer doesn't do that. I began this encoding job thirty minutes ago and I have not heard my fan run full-speed yet. In fact, it just ramps up just a little higher than what seems like it's minimum speed for just moments then settles right back down.

After using AS5 in my s3020n, I am a believer in it's powers! I would do it again in a heatbeat. I was this close to buying a new heatsink for this thing or even going with liquid cooling before I pulled the AS5 out of the drawer.

wow, great tip, SHMOKE. i've used Arctic Silver in the past with good results. i was just watching some Kitchen Nightmares in HD (OTA) and noticed the CPU fan was running pretty fast and a tad loud for my tastes.

i think i'll definitely try the AS route to see if that keeps the temp low and fan quiet.

Anyone have a line on a flex factor power supply that's greater than 400w? If so I'm picking one of these up just for the case.

@Muffins
If you want a better PSU, it's a pretty difficult process; not as easy as buying a new one and swapping it. Look through this thread. It has been discussed. Regardless, I don't think I've ever seen a flex ATX PSU rated grater than 300W, let alone 400W. If you do find a 400W ATX PSU, I'd be afraid that it's overrated. It's really unnecessary to have that powerful a PSU with these slimlines, since you can only upgrade the machines so much. I mean, it's not like you can fit an 8800 GTX with 8GB of RAM in the case. Heck, look at my specs. I've pretty much maxed out the system (minus a Blu-Ray or HD-DVD drive), yet I only have a 180W PSU. I haven't had any problems, even though the 7600GS recommends a 400W PSU. The 180W PSUs seem to be very good.

@bgrantbg
Your machine only has a 160W PSU which can really limit your options. However, the 8500GT apparently only uses 27W so it should be fine.

Hey s3120n users. I just ordered an XFX 7300gs from Amazon. I am trying to get better quality OTA HD performance and higher resolution output without overloading my power supply. From wikipedia, the power usage of the 7300gs is much lower than the 8400gs that I tried. It does have a fan, so I'm a little worried about noise, but the reviews on newegg.com seem to indicate that noise isn't a big problem. I'll post a review when I get it installed and let you know how it works in the s3120n.

Ok, here's the followup. I got the XFX 7300gs (shipped really fast!). Installed the card with the latest Nvidia drivers (163.75) and as soon as media center starts.... BSOD!!! In a last ditch effort, I went back to the favorite 100.65 drivers and they work fine! This makes no sense to me. Anyone else get BSOD errors like this and know what causes it?

So, it's working. But, it's loud. I'm going to give it a week and see if I get used to it. That silly little fan just makes a ton of noise. I have left the TV card IN the computer if you're wondering.

Ok, here's the followup. I got the XFX 7300gs (shipped really fast!). Installed the card with the latest Nvidia drivers (163.75) and as soon as media center starts.... BSOD!!! In a last ditch effort, I went back to the favorite 100.65 drivers and they work fine! This makes no sense to me. Anyone else get BSOD errors like this and know what causes it?

So, it's working. But, it's loud. I'm going to give it a week and see if I get used to it. That silly little fan just makes a ton of noise. I have left the TV card IN the computer if you're wondering.

I have run into driver issues with BSOD relating to nvisdll. These are related to the driver. Can not tell you why. I always use Driver cleaner

8500gt easily. Even the 8400gs is better than the 2400 pro. For gaming at least.

Should be the same for video playback.

Did anyone get the s3023w? It appears to be identical to the s3020n, but I was hoping someone could confirm that.

If they have the same specs, they're the same machine. Different model numbers only specify where you bought the item (online from HP, from an OEM, from a major retailer, etc.).

Hey guys, those that have ordered the 8600GT (Low Profie) from NCIX.com should be getting a shipping notice w/ a tracking number soon. Mine will get here Friday :D

Hey guys, those that have ordered the 8600GT (Low Profie) from NCIX.com should be getting a shipping notice w/ a tracking number soon. Mine will get here Friday :D

Mine is waiting for me at the depot! :( Tomorrow I will pick it up! :)

woo! I got the 8600GT today and it works perfectly with my computer (180W PSU). It is bigger than I expected (taller), but it fits finem, even with a card in the PCI slot, although it covers a little bit of the fan, but that shouldn't matter too much. Unfortunately it doesn't come with a low profile bracket and my MSI bracket doesn't align correctly, so I'm using it without a bracket. The card fits just right and doesn't move too much though.

Eh, here is the difference between the s3023w and the s3220n.

s3023w:

Model Information
Product Number: RZ389AA

Motherboard
HematiteXL-GL8E
Athlon 64 (O) 3800+ 2.4 GHz
2000 MT/s (mega transfers/second)
Socket AM2
GeForce 6150 LE chipset
1 GB installed memory
PC2-4200 MB/sec
240 pin, DDR2 SDRAM
Integrated 10/100 BT
USB 2.0

Front I/O ports
15-in-1 (4 slot): 1
USB: 1
Headphone: 1

Back I/O Ports
PS2 (keyboard, mouse): 2 (one each)
VGA: 1
USB: 4
1394a: 1
LAN: 1
SPDIF out: 1
S-video out: 1
Audio (side speaker out, rear speaker out, center speaker out, line-in, line-out, microphone): 1 each

Modem
T-rex

Wireless
Wireless LAN 802.11 b/g (Bluejay)

Audio
Controller: 7.1 high-definition audio

Video
Graphics: integrated

Hard drive
250 GB SATA 3G (3.0 Gb/sec): 7200 rpm

Data Storage
16X DVD(+/-)R/RW 12X RAM (+/-)R DL LightScribe SATA
15-in-1 (4 slot)

Chassis
Arches
160W power supply
Connector colors
Pocket Media Drive bay

Keyboard
HP multimedia keyboard (bluebird)

Mouse
PS/2 ball HP mouse ID07

s3220n:

Model Information
Product Number: GN567AA

Motherboard
Acacia-GL6E
Athlon 64 X2 (B) 5000+ 2.6 GHz (65W)
2000 MT/s (mega transfers/second)
Socket AM2
GeForce 6150SE nForce 430 chipset
2 GB installed memory
PC2-5300 MB/sec
240 pin, DDR2 SDRAM
Integrated 10/100 BT
USB 2.0

Front I/O ports
15-in-1 (4 slot): 1
USB: 1
Headphone: 1

Back I/O Ports
PS2 (keyboard, mouse): 2 (one each)
SPDIF out (coaxial): 1
VGA: 1
USB: 4
1394a: 1
LAN: 1
Audio (line in, line out, microphone): 1 each

Modem
Roadrunner

Wireless
Wireless LAN 802.11 b/g (Bluejay)

TV-Tuner
ASUS ATSC/NTSC (fennec)

Audio
Controller: 6-channel high-definition audio

Video
Graphics: integrated

Hard drive
400 GB SATA 3G (3.0 Gb/sec): 7200 rpm

Data Storage
16X DVD(+/-)R/RW 12X RAM (+/-)R DL LightScribe SATA
15-in-1 (4 slot)

Chassis
Arches
160W power supply
Connector colors
Pocket Media Drive bay

Keyboard
HP multimedia keyboard (bluebird)

Mouse
HP PS/2 optical mouse

Remote Control
Remote (picasso) /receiver (paintbrush)

Technologies
AMD Live

For real though, folks.

I'd grab an s3200t from hpshopping. That model has the 180 watt PSU.

woo! I got the 8600GT today and it works perfectly with my computer (180W PSU). It is bigger than I expected (taller), but it fits finem, even with a card in the PCI slot, although it covers a little bit of the fan, but that shouldn't matter too much. Unfortunately it doesn't come with a low profile bracket and my MSI bracket doesn't align correctly, so I'm using it without a bracket. The card fits just right and doesn't move too much though.

Jeremy can you go into the power management settings and set it to full performance and let it run for a while...see if it can handle the 8600GT when you do that. I'm curious.

Jeremy can you go into the power management settings and set it to full performance and let it run for a while...see if it can handle the 8600GT when you do that. I'm curious.
Hey Archaea,
My computer is always in High Performance mode. So, no problems here.

Hey Archaea,
My computer is always in High Performance mode. So, no problems here.

I have half a mind to buy another slimline - your model this time...and pick up the 8600GT like you did. Could you download futuremark 2006 and run the standard free test and tell me how many points you get? My current hodge/podge rig (with the AMD BE-2400 processor I bought for use with the slimline that didn't work out because of the motherboard not recogonizing this new 45 watt chip) coupled with a 7800GTX gets 4700 points. The BE-2400 is overclocked from 2.3 to 2.75Ghz. My slimline with the x2-5200+ processor upgrade and the 8400GS and the same 2GB of RAM didn't even break 1600 points in 3Dmark06 on the free benchmark. Synthetic benchmarks aren't all that, but it's a nice baseline idea. See post 26 for details on that run.

http://www.futuremark.com/products/3dmark06/

Yet, I liked my little slimline, it was quiet and looked sharp - my aunt has it now and I have the system in my rig. My current case is a Thermaltake 2 Xaser - full tower, with tons of fans and blowholes and everything. It's like five years old and all modded up with a gigantic laser etched window and 120mm fan blow hole LED fan on top. Lights all over it. Looks good for a modded case, but I'm no longer young 20's and don't go to LAN parties to show it off --- sorta seems a bit over the top at this point. I liked the classy look and ultra quiet of that slimline.

and I'm back to XP 64 bit. :(

Vista seemed really nice.

See: here

Here are the scores I got with forceware version 163.75:
104835 AquaMark03
9408 3DMark05
4535 3DMark06

I was able to OC the card to 640/1500 and got the following:
107524 AquaMark03
10501 3DMark05
5046 3DMark06
Vista Gaming went to 5.6
6337 PCMark05

I have the new beta drivers installed now but haven't run the benchmark programs yet. Using the beta drivers doesn't allow me to OC the card, though, but they're what's recommended to run Crysis... it still isn't very good in Crysis. On low it works great, but doesn't look awesome.

Unless you have the AMD s32xx series, your box will only support 2x1GB RAM. If you have one of those, then the above mentioned RAM (the link doesn't work) should work fine, but your mobo will underclock the memory to DDR2-667 speeds.

Awesome... Yeah it should work. Vista will recognize it. I've asked the same question before. Here's the thread.

I don't know if you'll get dual channel mode using two 2GB stick purchased separately. That's a great price you found though!

Back