the new, new, imacs.

AndreRio

[H]ard|Gawd
have you guys seen the new thin imacs? they look cool. but i think they are TOO thin, this thing is damn thin. I think they are too thin for my taste. anyone have any comments about this?

What do you mean "too thin"? Is there some reason why the edges need to be thick?

Thinness/thickness when it comes to desktop devices is irrelevant to me. The older iMacs were already space-efficient enough.

have you guys seen the new thin imacs? they look cool. but i think they are TOO thin, this thing is damn thin. I think they are too thin for my taste. anyone have any comments about this?

You sound fat.

i think what he means is problem might not be with thiness but more like durability of those corners, and aluminum shell used might be thinner, sorry i haven't seen them but i assume what he means. although i also like older iMacs as their thickness is same for whole body. i new iMac shapes are just awaful and hope they don't brake/damage easily if fell on side or get hit by feather.

I'm sure that any ideas that because the iMac's are thin, they are therefore less durable will be unfounded.
The overall thickness of the machine has nothing to do with the thickness of the aluminum. Additionally the system is simply build like a laptop attached to a 27" screen. Apple has no design deficiency when it comes to laptops.
Finally... who drops their iMac?... it kind of just stays on a desk. If you're worried about damaging an iMac, are you also worried about damaging a monitor because it's thin?

I can't wait for another year to go by and we will see boobs starting threads with titles like "do you think the new new new new new new apple product just released is cool?"

Seriously -- if I go into a dealership and some douche tries to sell me "the new corvette" that doesn't tell me shit. It could be a new 2013, 2012, or even a "new" 2010 model that's still sitting around. You would figure this important reference point of a product number would be important to apple since they like to mothball products after only 7 months on the shelf.

Finally... who drops their iMac?... it kind of just stays on a desk. If you're worried about damaging an iMac, are you also worried about damaging a monitor because it's thin?

I've actually heard of a lot of cheep desks collapsing under the weight of a PC (college students who buy a "walmart special" mainly, but some decent-quality desks that just get overloaded) while I've not personally had this problem, I have had cheep folding tables collapse when too much weight was put on them, so durability is somewhat of an issue.

Also, for monitors, some people mount them on walls or armatures where if the armature breaks the monitor takes a less-than-soft impact onto a desk or even the floor...

Not sure if these problems pertain to the newest iMacs, but it is a risk for any computer/monitor/etc

I can't wait for another year to go by and we will see boobs starting threads with titles like "do you think the new new new new new new apple product just released is cool?"

Seriously -- if I go into a dealership and some douche tries to sell me "the new corvette" that doesn't tell me shit. It could be a new 2013, 2012, or even a "new" 2010 model that's still sitting around. You would figure this important reference point of a product number would be important to apple since they like to mothball products after only 7 months on the shelf.

And other manufacturers don't do this? :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Its actually not that thin. There is a big "bubble" on the back that houses everything. Ugly.

Its actually not that thin. There is a big "bubble" on the back that houses everything. Ugly.

Yeah, I kind of find the new design ugly from a profile view.

There is a cool optical illusion associated with the new imac design. From most viewing angles (anything within the curvature of the back hump), the new imac would look impossibly thin. This is because the back hump would not be the the line of sight.

This picture from apple's site prefectly illustrates this illusion from the max angle (which apple seems to exploit as much as possible). Viewing further from the side will break the illusion as the back hump will become visible.
http://images.apple.com/imac/images/performance.jpg
http://www.apple.com/imac/design/

Here from a profile view you can see the new imac doesn't save any space since the overall depth of the machine is basically the same as the previous imac.
new imac: http://images.apple.com/imac/design/images/evolution_today.jpg
old imac: http://images.apple.com/imac/design/images/evolution_2009.jpg
I like how the only profile picture of the new imac is tiny.

Anyways, still think its a stupid design as the new imac doesn't really shrink the occupying space compare to the old imac (i.e the overall depth, height, width of the new imac is the same as the old imca). This new design is purely for aesthetics at a cost of some functionality/expandability.

Kind if lame how that mole-faced lard-o (Phil Shiller) was trying to hide the bubble on the back to make it appear as flat during the on-stage announcement.

With that said, I'm still considering a purchase of the 27 inch.

Thinness/thickness when it comes to desktop devices is irrelevant to me. The older iMacs were already space-efficient enough.

Yea that is my feeling as well. Same can be said for the mini's when they redesigned them. I'd rather have something a little more upgradable. Guess we will see when someone gets their hands on this new one to see how upgradable it is. Apple seems to be going in a direction where the entire machine is junk if anything goes wrong as nothing is upgradable. The new macbooks are a good example of this. I just have this bad feeling my mid 2012 macbook pro 13 inch is going to be one of the last you can upgrade in any way if you want.

I'd love to sell my MacBook Air and pick up a new 27" iMac.

Video card options seem nice!

I've actually heard of a lot of cheep desks collapsing under the weight of a PC (college students who buy a "walmart special" mainly, but some decent-quality desks that just get overloaded) while I've not personally had this problem, I have had cheep folding tables collapse when too much weight was put on them, so durability is somewhat of an issue.

Also, for monitors, some people mount them on walls or armatures where if the armature breaks the monitor takes a less-than-soft impact onto a desk or even the floor...

Not sure if these problems pertain to the newest iMacs, but it is a risk for any computer/monitor/etc

My cheap ass walmart desk has held more than 50lbs+ of junk. :)

Kind if lame how that mole-faced lard-o (Phil Shiller) was trying to hide the bubble on the back to make it appear as flat during the on-stage announcement.
What would you do? Emphasize it?

I very much doubt that.

What would you do? Emphasize it?

I very much doubt that.

There is a difference between showing and emphasizing it. Looking at all the promotion material on Apple.com - there is no sight of it. The only side profile image we see is on an iMac History and that image is pretty low res.

http://www.apple.com/imac/

Take a gander at this

http://www.apple.com/imac/design/

One side on shot in the gallery would have been acceptable. Not saying they need to emphasize it or show it in every image. However, what they are now showing is not reflective of the product.

Back