The Official Doom Movie Thread

theNoid said:
I walked in expecting the movie to suck.

I walked out thinking to myself, that was 3x better then what I expected. It wasn't a bad movie at all... people here who say it is.. are just caught up in some preconcieved notion of what the movie SHOULD have been... and they were let down.

Its a space, marines, gore, monsters, blood, explosions, action flick not largely backed by hollywood or a terrific director like James Cameron. I am thoroughly convinced that the movie accomplished what it original was intended to do... and I would definately pay to see it again.

Personally I thought the 1st person shooter scene was badass... adrenaline pumping action. For anyone here to say the movie sucked either needs to pull their head out of their ass or get some glasses.

Go see it.

damn skippy.... This is just like seeing the LOTR movies.. Yes it didn't follow the books very well at times, but if you stepped back and looked at it as it's own entity, they were truly awesome movies.. Doom is like that as well.. You can't go in thinking, ok I'm a big ass nerd who's been playing doom since I got a copy of it on floppy from another nerd in high school, so I'm the end all be all in what should be in the doom movie.. This was close enuff to to the Doom look, feel, mood, etc to make anyone who's played the game, feel like it was a part of the doom world..

and in that it made me happy, and I enjoyed the movie.. would I have like to see a portal to hell, and all sorts of crazy shit like revenents and cacodemons come out? sure I would.. But that wouldn't have been the most feasible movie.. it's turn into a chaotic mess exactly like the game, and wouldnt' make for a good movie.. might as well just watch somone play the game, and there's you're true to heart doom movie..

sides, you have to love the props they give in the movie to those who did play the game.. I especially loved it when it was in FPS mode, and he shoots his reflection.. damned if I didn't do that in game.. :D

DukenukemX said:
The rest of the movie looked like the creators just took a huge dump. The Rock throws down his gun and gets into a stupid fist fight with some other guy.

didn't you watch the movie? he ran outta ammo, fired his last shot, missed, and ran for cover cuz reaper had half a clip.. then he ran outta ammo, and fought with the only weapons left.. their hands!!

really can't fault that one.. I bet you didn't complain when you first saw the matrix, and they had all the hand to hand combat in that... :rolleyes: NEO!, why are you fighting agent smith in the subway with your hands!! this sucks!! oh wait.. you don't have a gun.. uhh...

Fistandantilis said:
Well then, I guess I wont waste my time on this flick, thanks guys for the heads up.

Your loss my friend.............

I honestly have to say that this movie is probably the best game to movie conversion ever done. In fact, I can't wait for it to come out on DVD!

Barnaby said:
didn't you watch the movie? he ran outta ammo, fired his last shot, missed, and ran for cover cuz reaper had half a clip.. then he ran outta ammo, and fought with the only weapons left.. their hands!!

Yea except it's called movie magic. Put yourself in the mind of the creator of this movie.

Doom Movie Creator: Hmm I'm running out of ideas. Hey I have an idea. I'll put a fist fight in a movie based on a game that uses guns nearly 99% of the time. The words "First Person Shooter" means nothing to me. :rolleyes:

really can't fault that one.. I bet you didn't complain when you first saw the matrix, and they had all the hand to hand combat in that... :rolleyes: NEO!, why are you fighting agent smith in the subway with your hands!! this sucks!! oh wait.. you don't have a gun.. uhh...

I'll take your idea and make it even dumber.

Agent Smith and Neo lose their arms. How? Cause they just do ok. Suddenly they start biting each other. Hey it's all they have left.

The idea is that the Doom movie creator threw that fight sence in it. There was no point for it. The creator was lazy and knows any good action movie needs a fist fight. Despite that the movie is based on the original run shoot run shoot game.

Had they stuck to the Doom 3 story then Sarge would have been a hell bent cyborg. A gun fight with a hell bent cyborg is something cool to watch. A fist fight with the rock is like watching wrestling. Except there isn't a wrestling announcer.

It's no wonder why hollywood keeps making this crap and getting away with it. Some people actually like movies to be terrible I think.

true, they could've done a different ending.. but getting a headshot and getting the win would have been even more quick and lame then the fist fight..

for the storyline they took, the ending worked..

All I'm saying, is if you look at the movie by itself, it wasn't bad at all, and was fun to watch.. everyone who is putting it down, is LOOKING for a reason to hate it.. if you go into it with an open mind, and forget about the game for a minute, it's a good movie that pays homeage to the game, without being a direct translation..

Barnaby said:
All I'm saying, is if you look at the movie by itself, it wasn't bad at all, and was fun to watch.. everyone who is putting it down, is LOOKING for a reason to hate it.. if you go into it with an open mind, and forget about the game for a minute, it's a good movie that pays homeage to the game, without being a direct translation..

As Lewis Black has said.

Criticism is never about hurting. People who give criticism are actually helping. It's the people who can't take criticism who refuse to learn from their mistakes.

With so many video game based movies being released you'd think they'd pay attention to a little criticism by now.

I'm still trying to find what I liked about Doom the Movie. Possibly the only things I can think of was the BFG, and the first person shooter like scene where the guy kills everything like you would see in the game.

Other then that I can't really think of anything that I liked about this movie.

Barnaby said:
true, they could've done a different ending.. but getting a headshot and getting the win would have been even more quick and lame then the fist fight..

for the storyline they took, the ending worked..

I wasn't looking for a reason to hate the movie, in fact I was really hoping that the movie would give you that feeling that we all had the first time we played DOOM with the lights out and the speakers cranked. But really, who didn't see the preview for DOOM and say "I really hope they don't screw this up"?

I think it's time that the gaming community takes an active roll in how game based movies are produced. If they can make decent games from movies then why not decent movies from games?

RIght now my only hope is Halo the movie. Only because the script was written by Microsoft or somebody at Bungie at least.

I know that when word got out about the story of Doom the movie, lots of people got upset and even influenced some changes in Doom the movie.

Maybe with the huge popularity of Halo that maybe Halo the movie could finally be that movie gamers always dreamed of. It's going to take a lot of work. If the people at Hollywood are willing to listen then just maybe we can get a decent video game movie.

I thought for sure somebody was gonna take steroids and go berserk during the fistfight scene... alas! :(

Are there really any decent games made from movies? I just can't think of any...........

DukenukemX said:
I think it's time that the gaming community takes an active roll in how game based movies are produced. If they can make decent games from movies then why not decent movies from games?

RIght now my only hope is Halo the movie. Only because the script was written by Microsoft or somebody at Bungie at least.

I know that when word got out about the story of Doom the movie, lots of people got upset and even influenced some changes in Doom the movie.

Maybe with the huge popularity of Halo that maybe Halo the movie could finally be that movie gamers always dreamed of. It's going to take a lot of work. If the people at Hollywood are willing to listen then just maybe we can get a decent video game movie.

junehhan said:
Are there really any decent games made from movies? I just can't think of any...........
I heard Butcher Bay was a damn good game. I never played it though.

Moose777 said:
I heard Butcher Bay was a damn good game. I never played it though.

*pause* yeah I think that was the only one. Damn fine game though.

Wrench00 said:
Doom movie was better then D3 imo.

I still need to play butcher bay.

The butcher bay phenomenon was cancelled out by the fact that the movie sucked. It was the reverse effect. :D

of course the movie sucked, i have not seen it but i know it is a movie based on Doom with the Rock in it. That is all i need to know

OldPueblo said:
The butcher bay phenomenon was cancelled out by the fact that the movie sucked. It was the reverse effect. :D
I'll be looking forward to renting Doom during the week from my local grocery store when it comes out on DVD and they have a rent one get one free during the week.. and I enjoyed Chronicles of Riddick :(

I'll rephrase, Chronicles was a bad movie, but it was still entertaining. Doom is the same way. It deserves no awards and don't even think of analyzing it, but it was still entertaining. As I said, it was better then I expected it to be. Which isn't much of a compliment. :D

Barnaby said:
it's a good movie that pays homeage to the game, without being a direct translation..

Doom 3 wasn't a very good game to begin with, what do people expect from a movie made with reference to a very mediocre game? A mediocre movie of course.

I this Doom last night and I liked it.
A side from a few odd twists, it was rather good.

Back