The Official Guild Wars 2 thread

I know. As soon as the update was done I got on. Was on for maybe 4 minutes before I was disconnected.

I saw a few ingame footage, I believe some attacks you can dodge, as bow attacks, or spread attacks (frontAoEs). Well they looked that way anyways. As for Raiding, it not that people couldn't or lack the skill to raid or be in a raiding guild... it's also more like me where raiding so often that it becomes a 12/24 man farm session with nothing worth while drops after 3457653 runs. - this i hate and stop raiding entirely in MMOs. Some MMOs, the F2P i tried out had a neat idea where you raid, get some randoms drops that are good and tokens where you can specify what you want to upgrade or invest in. You didn't have to raid 500 times on 1 character and maybe get a couple of things needed or worthwhile... you can invest in tokens instead. Sure you might need ot only run it 50 times on 1 character maybe but them you can do it on many characters than getting LOCKED down playing 1 character only because your Raid Guild made you to. I remember after raid 23458767868546747 I got sick of my healer so I deleted him out of spite to see what they would do... got kicked out of the guild. :) I laughed and was playing another MMO anyways.

In LOTRO, if an enemy shoots an arrow or throws a spear while you sprint around a corner or rock it'll bend arounf that obsticle or simple "clip" though it and hit you... all attacks are predetermined...

Got in early on the stress test, but only wanted to see how my performance would be as I haven't played since the first BWE. Saw I was getting 1 FPS but as soon as I updated my nvidia drivers to 304.79, I was good.

In LOTRO, if an enemy shoots an arrow or throws a spear while you sprint around a corner or rock it'll bend arounf that obsticle or simple "clip" though it and hit you... all attacks are predetermined...

It's that way in WoW, Rift, SWTOR too. Most MMOs I would assume.

Why is it that the TSW fans always go to the GW2 threads to troll? They obviously feel threatened by Guild Wars 2.

I have played GW2 in the stress tests the past month, and love the game. It's everything I want in an mmorpg. Everquest 1 was my first mmorpg.

Why is it that the TSW fans always go to the GW2 threads to troll? They obviously feel threatened by Guild Wars 2.

I have played GW2 in the stress tests the past month, and love the game. It's everything I want in an mmorpg. Everquest 1 was my first mmorpg.

yeah lots of tera players were trashing GW2 in general hahah idk why man i think its silly. games can co-exist. this one is pretty unique

yeah lots of tera players were trashing GW2 in general hahah idk why man i think its silly. games can co-exist. this one is pretty unique

Well GW2 can nominally co-exist with any monthly fee game, which will be especially good for GW2 in the lulls between expansions.

But whether any given low sub game can survive it's high quality, low on-going price onslaught, is another question entirely.

Man, I hope they don't bring servers up before 12am on the 25th, I won't get off work till 12:30.... I want back on Blackgate or Sea of Sorrows.

Feeling "threatened" by another game that's in the same genre is the most ludicrous thing I've ever heard in my life. How do you go about your day wanting to hate another game, because it's not the same as the one you like? Where the fuck is society going...

Maybe this was overshadowed or answered before; in either case, is the client I used to play in the BWE and stress tests the same one I'll use for the main game? Is the giant 15GB .dat file really how they structured the game install?

ever since 2003 or 2004, arenanet has had to most advanced game installer and updater. it has been this way ever since then, can you believe you've missed out on something so great? yet you have. you haven't even heard about it because guild wars players take it for granted and just assume everyone else is doing so well. but that is not the case. welcome to the future.

Feeling "threatened" by another game that's in the same genre is the most ludicrous thing I've ever heard in my life. How do you go about your day wanting to hate another game, because it's not the same as the one you like? Where the fuck is society going...

that is a feeling developed from millions of years of evolution, not a decision by society. people have feelings and they react to stimuli in ways that dont make sense because our bodies were not designed for our current lifestyle.

And why would you hope they DON'T????

I think his concern is he's afraid those servers may be full (if possible at all) and he would have to settle for other servers by the time he could play the game and select his server.

I don't know. From what I've heard at other forum, quite some users are having that concern that they may not be able to be in a server the planned to be with their other friends and so everyone wants to be there when the game goes online.

ever since 2003 or 2004, arenanet has had to most advanced game installer and updater. it has been this way ever since then, can you believe you've missed out on something so great? yet you have. you haven't even heard about it because guild wars players take it for granted and just assume everyone else is doing so well. but that is not the case. welcome to the future.

As a software developer myself... I find Anet to be much more clueful than the average game developer in so far as their software quality goes. They definitely have some sharp developers on staff. Not to mention artists, but that pretty much speaks for itself.

I think I read somewhere, aha here it is:
http://www.guildwars2guru.com/topic/39009-when-does-arenanet-normally-do-maintenance/
... that GW1 has had less than 2 days downtime over it's seven year run. I will be quite surprised if there are any long duration/severe issues with the launch this weekend.

I think the statistics speak for themselves though. It's like 10% of WoW players who ever even raided. Maybe 1% who were very hardcore about it. Why design the game around that feature when so few people playing your game even see it? If you want hardcore raiding then GW2 is undoubtedly not for you.

This is one of the reasons I left WoW and have been disappointed with other MMORPGs. All the main story developments were in the raids that hardly anyone ever saw. I have nothing against raids (or raiders), but the focus most companies put on them is too much, considering how few even try it. At least some of the companies have wised up and started making smaller versions of the raids with no rewards, so that everyone can get in on the story.

And there are some pretty big zone bosses in GW2 that can take hundreds of people to kill. Isn't that pretty much like old school pre-instanced raiding anyway?

This is one of the reasons I left WoW and have been disappointed with other MMORPGs. All the main story developments were in the raids that hardly anyone ever saw. I have nothing against raids (or raiders), but the focus most companies put on them is too much, considering how few even try it. At least some of the companies have wised up and started making smaller versions of the raids with no rewards, so that everyone can get in on the story.

And there are some pretty big zone bosses in GW2 that can take hundreds of people to kill. Isn't that pretty much like old school pre-instanced raiding anyway?

Yeah, but it's yet to be seen how difficult they are going to be. Not that I want it to take months to be able to stop the zone from being destroyed, but I also would be disappointed if everything can be graveyard zerged.

I think his concern is he's afraid those servers may be full (if possible at all) and he would have to settle for other servers by the time he could play the game and select his server.

I don't know. From what I've heard at other forum, quite some users are having that concern that they may not be able to be in a server the planned to be with their other friends and so everyone wants to be there when the game goes online.

Except this is a minor issue. A.Net is already providing free server transfers for some time after launch. They indicated they will alert people to be updated on when they plan to turn that feature off.

At launch, players will be able to transfer between worlds freely. However, once server populations have largely settled and stabilized, world transfers will be restricted to once a week and cost a variable amount of gems based on the population of the world being transferred to.

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/a-world-of-choice-the-regions-of-guild-wars-2/

And why would you hope they DON'T????

I imagine you haven't tried getting on either of those servers during that time, they're both Oceanic hubs, and I'm not waiting hours to get back on when the server pop drops below full, if it ever does.

Seriously.... I don't get the people in this thread. I don't, nowadays, care about GW2 too much, and just was stating my opinion about it, but these people are jumping all over it and trying to invent scenarios like "he's worried his server will be gone by the time he buys it!" to justify things to themselves :rolleyes: . It's sad.

Seriously.... I don't get the people in this thread. I don't, nowadays, care about GW2 too much, and just was stating my opinion about it, but these people are jumping all over it and trying to invent scenarios like "he's worried his server will be gone by the time he buys it!" to justify things to themselves :rolleyes: . It's sad.

I understand being opinionated and giving your 2 cents that you think a game is inferior, but leave it at that. Insulting someone is when you know you've hit rock bottom, and need to get a few other hobbies.

I understand being opinionated and giving your 2 cents that you think a game is inferior, but leave it at that. Insulting someone is when you know you've hit rock bottom, and need to get a few other hobbies.

Errrr... I didn't insult anyone? :confused: That is exactly where I left it at.

You can express your opinion but you keep jamming it in people's faces at this point.

And no, Hornet's quote was not directed at you if that's what you think.

Errrr... I didn't insult anyone? :confused: That is exactly where I left it at.

Nah man, I wasn't talking about you specifically, just people in general. Was just quoting you so you know we're on the same page. ;)

You can express your opinion but you keep jamming it in people's faces at this point.

And no, Hornet's quote was not directed at you if that's what you think.

No moreso than others are doing, actually. Why single my opinion out because it doesn't match yours?

Nah man, I wasn't talking about you specifically, just people in general. Was just quoting you so you know we're on the same page. ;)

Ah, I see.

No moreso than others are doing, actually. Why single my opinion out because it doesn't match yours?
Because you're trying to defend yourself at this point in a "I must have the last word" sort of way. You can just let it go and go back to the TSW thread and discuss TSW there. People know your opinion now.

If you're talking about Disposed, he's pretty much trolling at this point. No one cares about raids and he knows it. People who want to play GW2 are well aware of the fact that there won't be end game raids like WoW (and a lot of people are looking forward to GW2 precisely because of that fact). It's kind of a pointless discussion that I believe is better for me not to be involved in. He pretty much demonstrates how inane his posts are by himself. I don't need to say anything else.

Now that they've announced they could bring the servers up a full 3 hours early....how many of you guys are going to be clicking the login button every 2 minutes in that 3 hour window? Sadly, I will be one. Just that excited. Borlis Pass here I comeeee

Now that they've announced they could bring the servers up a full 3 hours early....how many of you guys are going to be clicking the login button every 2 minutes in that 3 hour window? Sadly, I will be one. Just that excited. Borlis Pass here I comeeee

I just realized the headstart event is starting on Saturday...crap. Is the headstart event only for those who purchased from the site, or? In-store too?

I just realized the headstart event is starting on Saturday...crap. Is the headstart event only for those who purchased from the site, or? In-store too?

Pre-PURCHASE, meaning you prepaid for the game, gets the full 3 days. Pre-order without pay gets a 1 day headstart, from what I understand.

Dude, our guild is on Borlis Pass as well! PM me if you want some cool people to run with.

Dude, our guild is on Borlis Pass as well! PM me if you want some cool people to run with.

All losers, don't go. :cool:

EPOQ said:
Pre-PURCHASE, meaning you prepaid for the game, gets the full 3 days. Pre-order without pay gets a 1 day headstart, from what I understand.

Gotcha, thanks. Have a buddy that'd like to purchase it too, but he wants to use PayPal. Anyone know, that if his Bank account is linked to his PayPal, does he necessarily need to transfer from Bank Account to PayPal, THEN pay? Or can he just go ahead and use PayPal as payment instantly. Speaking of which, I was always curious how PayPal worked, never really had a need for it.

Edit: Well that's poo, GreenManGaming isn't offering early access anymore, as of August 8th. What a bunch of poo. Guess I'll have to do the $60 retail bull-spit now. :mad:

At least you can get the early access at any time within the next few days, even if you purchase a day or two into the early access. From what I've read anyway.

Last edited by a moderator:
i guess Borlis Pass will be my homeworld :p cant wait, but i wont be home until the 26th :( im still pissed!

Posted from Hardforum.com App for Android

i guess Borlis Pass will be my homeworld :p cant wait, but i wont be home until the 26th :( im still pissed!

Posted from Hardforum.com App for Android

same, i dont get back till like 9pm on sunday and then i have work monday morning -_-

Hopefully Borlis will be a decent server. Anyone on there feel free to PM me if you want to run with our crew. We already got a couple of H members in the guild.

Back