The Official P45 Asus P5Q Motherboard Thread

I actually don't have that set of ram in my rig I have one of the 2 gig sticks and 2 1 gig sticks. I recycled my last G-Skill sticks from my previous build. I won't fill the 4th slot because I don't want a performance hit.

How much of a performance hit is there really from running 4 slots? I'm only running 2x2 right now but that's just because I'm troubleshooting my CF setup. I normally run 2x2x2x2. It's nice, Vista caches damn near my entire HDD, barely ever have to wait on anything :p

PS - I was referring to the GSkill you linked on NewEgg. That's what I'm running 4 of (2 at the moment)

Does anyone know if there will be a performance difference in the bios with the ACHI endabled instead of IDE?

I don't know much about the difference from running ACHI over IDE for performance, but I do know on my Deluxe it does cause the boot to take a little longer. It hangs a bit after the post screen, but then boots correctly.

I had to switch over to ACHI to get Ubuntu to install (it would not load the installer in IDE).

One note, however, is that if you already have Vista installed and want to switch to ACHI, you're going to have to make a small change to the registry in order to boot to Vista again and avoid a BSOD. The procedure is described in this KB article here. It is pretty painless. Boot in IDE, make the registry change, restart, make change to ACHI in bios, and then boot to windows normally.

I don't know much about the difference from running ACHI over IDE for performance, but I do know on my Deluxe it does cause the boot to take a little longer. It hangs a bit after the post screen, but then boots correctly.

I had to switch over to ACHI to get Ubuntu to install (it would not load the installer in IDE).

One note, however, is that if you already have Vista installed and want to switch to ACHI, you're going to have to make a small change to the registry in order to boot to Vista again and avoid a BSOD. The procedure is described in this KB article here. It is pretty painless. Boot in IDE, make the registry change, restart, make change to ACHI in bios, and then boot to windows normally.

Thanks for the link. My system is fast but I do notice a lag when I'm encoding videos but if I could elminate that with a fresh install using ACHI then I could work with that.

How much of a performance hit is there really from running 4 slots? I'm only running 2x2 right now but that's just because I'm troubleshooting my CF setup. I normally run 2x2x2x2. It's nice, Vista caches damn near my entire HDD, barely ever have to wait on anything :p

PS - I was referring to the GSkill you linked on NewEgg. That's what I'm running 4 of (2 at the moment)

I'm running 4 x 512 of Kingston HyperX PC2-8500. It works very well in Dual Channel. Nicely overclocked (43% at 3.4 gHZ on a Q6600), too. I'm also using the 1004 beta bios.

Hello everyone,
I am finally ready to buy myself a new system and I am greatly considering this motherboard coupled with a Q6600 and a 9800GTX+ .

Sorry guys, I knew about the ACHI issues and wasn't putting it together with your issues. Let me see if I can summarize this for you. So basically ACHI enables a disk I/O performance enhancement called NCQ - Native Command Queuing. NCQ figures out the fastest disk I/O based on where it knows your heads will be at any moment in time. But it used to be that you had to enable ACHI prior to loading your chipset drivers and O/S. You couldn’t go in after the fact and simply turn it on because the software wouldn’t have been installed. I wasn’t aware of this work around until now, thanks for the tip. Now where a lot of folks got messed is that if you set up RAID on an Intel MB after an install, it automatically enabled ACHI. That can be a problem do to what I mentioned above.

Can someone help me, I got things booted up.

I have my sata detected in bios and set to IDE. My dvd drive is detected as well as my IDE hard drive also.

In boot I have it set to the dvd drive>sata drive.

When I go to power on it just keeps saying "Insert proper media in boot device" even though I have the windows xp dvd in the drive or my slipstreamed xp install.

Can someone help me, I got things booted up.

So you have your O/S installed and running or are you using the term "booted up" to mean something else?

When I go to power on it just keeps saying "Insert proper media in boot device" even though I have the windows xp dvd in the drive or my slipstreamed xp install.

If you have installed your O/S successfully, make certain the boot order is correct. I know you changed it, but make sure. If it is correct, then in the boot menu "disable" all the other devices, except for the drive with the boot image and see if that works. This is a debug strategy, if it works you still need to solve the problem and get the BIOS right.

sorry, I meant booted up into the Bios.

I can't install XP as it keeps saying "reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device and press any key."

SATA set to IDE/Enhanced, boot order set to dvd drive then the HD.

sorry, I meant booted up into the Bios.

I can't install XP as it keeps saying "reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device and press any key."

SATA set to IDE/Enhanced, boot order set to dvd drive then the HD.

You don't have a USB key connected do you?

Okay, so your DVD drive is a SATA drive, right? Have you tried swapping cables? I suppose you could have a bad disk or a bad drive. Do you have another computer to test it on?

My dvd drive is IDE.

I did have an IDE HD on it along with the DVD drive but unplugged it.

This is the only computer I have together, my old ones guts are oout.

By the way an IDE optical drive will have three jumper positions - master, slave, and cable select. Try cable select and see if that works.

I have a new SATA hdd, I have my old IDE HD which I was planning to use as a backup/storage drive that currently has all my old files on it and was my previous main XP HD drive.

I had the IDe drive plugged in at first as a slave with the dvd drive as a master, but I unplugged that Hd.

So now I only have the SATA HD plugged up to the sata 1 connection and the DVD drive on the IDE as the master.

I will try settting it to cable select and see if that helps.

seems to me I remember reading somewhere that the P45 chipsets dropped support for IDE devices.

Instead we have a marvel or some other IDE controller that Asus implemented on these boards.

I remember reading that others were having trouble with IDE CD/DVD drives on the P45 chipset boards. I don't think it's an issue specific to ASUS or the P5Q series, but rather any board with a P45 chipset.

In my build, I purchased a new SATA DVD burner - I think you can get them for under $25 at newegg - I paid a bit more at a local retailer.

I know it sucks to spend an extra $25 when you're trying to do a low cost upgrade, but on the other hand, it'll at least improve the airflow in your case, and you shouldn't have any issues...

seems to me I remember reading somewhere that the P45 chipsets dropped support for IDE devices.

Instead we have a marvel or some other IDE controller that Asus implemented on these boards.

I remember reading that others were having trouble with IDE CD/DVD drives on the P45 chipset boards. I don't think it's an issue specific to ASUS or the P5Q series, but rather any board with a P45 chipset.

In my build, I purchased a new SATA DVD burner - I think you can get them for under $25 at newegg - I paid a bit more at a local retailer.

I know it sucks to spend an extra $25 when you're trying to do a low cost upgrade, but on the other hand, it'll at least improve the airflow in your case, and you shouldn't have any issues...

The P45 is the MCH, its the ICH which no longer supports IDE. But I concur, if you can afford it, go with a new SATA drive.

Am I the only one who has trouble to figure out which P5Q does what and where the differences are?
I checked the compare feature at newegg, and I checked ASUS web site, and I still don't really have a good idea what the differences between these boards are:

P5Q
P5QC
P5Q-E
P5Q Premium
P5Q Deluxe
P5Q Pro
P5Q WS

Some of the stuff is just odd, for example, I was under the impression that WS stands for WorkStation, yet it only supports 8GB RAM, while most of the other types support 16GB. I just don't get it. :(

EDIT: Well I spend the time to look at each board closely, and yeah, the differences are more obvious now. Still, it would have been nice on ASUS part to just have a single page where one can compare those boards easily.

By the way an IDE optical drive will have three jumper positions - master, slave, and cable select. Try cable select and see if that works.

THANK YOU so very very very much, I switched it to cable select and it worked, let me install windows and format the drive.

I was wracking my head for hours and hours trying to figure out what to do, would have not thought of that.

Am I the only one who has trouble to figure out which P5Q does what and where the differences are?
I checked the compare feature at newegg, and I checked ASUS web site, and I still don't really have a good idea what the differences between these boards are:

P5Q
P5QC
P5Q-E
P5Q Premium
P5Q Deluxe
P5Q Pro
P5Q WS

Some of the stuff is just odd, for example, I was under the impression that WS stands for WorkStation, yet it only supports 8GB RAM, while most of the other types support 16GB. I just don't get it. :(

EDIT: Well I spend the time to look at each board closely, and yeah, the differences are more obvious now. Still, it would have been nice on ASUS part to just have a single page where one can compare those boards easily.

You can find a good features comparison chart here:
http://www.techarp.com/showarticle.aspx?artno=548

I'm having a lot of the same problems as basement jack, ie vista (Ult, 64 bit) is taking way too long to bring up the first three or so setup pages, and refuses to go further than the "Enter your product key" page. I've tried reducing my HDDs (from two) down to one, i've tried AHCI mode, IDE mode enhanced, and IDE mode compatible, nothing is working.

I ran a linux live cd (Ubuntu 8.04 64 bit), and attempted to format the HDD as per basementjack's proposed solution, but it couldn't find the hard drive. I'm going to try 32 bit ubuntu soon and report back. I'll also try to put the HDD in another computer and format it there.

The hard drive I want to install Vista to is my old XP sp3 main drive.

My DVD drive is IDE, and seems to be working fine. I was able to get linux running using a live cd so I don't think that's the problem.

I ran memtest, no luck. Tried to install vista with one stick, no luck.

At no point in the failed install process does the mouse or screen freeze. It just shows the hourglass for a long ass time, apparently indefinitely past the product key part.

Here is my configuration:
Asus P5Q Deluxe (beta bio 1102, tried with release bios and 803)
Intel Q9450, stock
2x2 Gig OCZ Platinum-1066n (memtested)
NVIDIA 7900GT
Antec Neopower Blue 600w
Memorex IDE DVD+/-RW 16x drive
Seagate 7200.8 320 GB SATA

Hmm, seems i forgot one small thing in my haste...the bloody power connection :p.

I had my case finished and set up and went to push the power button and nothing, then I remembered that I forgot to plug in the bloody power switch.

Now I can't seem to find it on the motherboard, I've looked in the manual, on the board layout, the internal connections list, etc and I'm not finding any power connection/reset switch.

Hmm, seems i forgot one small thing in my haste...the bloody power connection :p.

I had my case finished and set up and went to push the power button and nothing, then I remembered that I forgot to plug in the bloody power switch.

Now I can't seem to find it on the motherboard, I've looked in the manual, on the board layout, the internal connections list, etc and I'm not finding any power connection/reset switch.

Use your Q-Connector - it's white and labeled.

Think my P5Q-E might be buggered. Tried to boot this morning and was greeted with checksum error. Asus dvd doesn't work when it reprograms the chip. Any ideas as to what i can do? I really don't want to have to RMA.

Think my P5Q-E might be buggered. Tried to boot this morning and was greeted with checksum error. Asus dvd doesn't work when it reprograms the chip. Any ideas as to what i can do? I really don't want to have to RMA.

Do you mean a CMOS checksum error?

Look in the bottom right hand corner.

ah yes, I'm a moron. Didn't see the Q connector in the box and had it closed up. Was looking on the mobo for a PWR plug and others and never saw it in that or the mobo manual then I looked in the box and got out that white thing and figured it out :p.

Thanks for all the help guys, I got my comp fully set up now.

One question though, my SATA is set to IDE mode instead of AHCI, will it make much of a difference? (I'm on windows XP 32 still).

One question though, my SATA is set to IDE mode instead of AHCI, will it make much of a difference? (I'm on windows XP 32 still).

You won't notice it. For some reason AHCI isn't the default. I'll look into that when I get a chance.

Yeah i get a CMOS checksum error and when it reprograms the bios from the Asus dvd nothing happens. I reboot and the same thing happens again. Isn't there supposed to be 2 bios chips to stop this happening?

Yeah i get a CMOS checksum error and when it reprograms the bios from the Asus dvd nothing happens. I reboot and the same thing happens again. Isn't there supposed to be 2 bios chips to stop this happening?

What are you doing with DVD ? CMOS Checksum error is about your BIOS settings, and it is normal to have it on 1st start (as you got new CPU, RAM etc) and after BIOS flash...

Okay i got slightly confused with CMOS and BIOS. This is the exact message i'm getting:

boot block compatible version ver.021 - Bad BIOS checksum

It then checks for a Floppy and CD. I insert the Asus dvd which contains P5QE.ROM. It reads the rom file and then erases the bios and reprograms. Only problem is that it comes up with the same message every time i boot up no matter how many times it reprograms.

This isn't my first boot either. I've had the motherboard for about 2 weeks.

Okay i got slightly confused with CMOS and BIOS. This is the exact message i'm getting:

It then checks for a Floppy and CD. I insert the Asus dvd which contains P5QE.ROM. It reads the rom file and then erases the bios and reprograms. Only problem is that it comes up with the same message every time i boot up no matter how many times it reprograms.

What version is your P5Q-E BIOS? Have you tried down grading to a prior version?

I'm having a lot of the same problems as basement jack, ie vista (Ult, 64 bit) is taking way too long to bring up the first three or so setup pages, and refuses to go further than the "Enter your product key" page. I've tried reducing my HDDs (from two) down to one, i've tried AHCI mode, IDE mode enhanced, and IDE mode compatible, nothing is working.

I ran a linux live cd (Ubuntu 8.04 64 bit), and attempted to format the HDD as per basementjack's proposed solution, but it couldn't find the hard drive. I'm going to try 32 bit ubuntu soon and report back. I'll also try to put the HDD in another computer and format it there.

The hard drive I want to install Vista to is my old XP sp3 main drive.

My DVD drive is IDE, and seems to be working fine. I was able to get linux running using a live cd so I don't think that's the problem.

I ran memtest, no luck. Tried to install vista with one stick, no luck.

At no point in the failed install process does the mouse or screen freeze. It just shows the hourglass for a long ass time, apparently indefinitely past the product key part.

Here is my configuration:
Asus P5Q Deluxe (beta bio 1102, tried with release bios and 803)
Intel Q9450, stock
2x2 Gig OCZ Platinum-1066n (memtested)
NVIDIA 7900GT
Antec Neopower Blue 600w
Memorex IDE DVD+/-RW 16x drive
Seagate 7200.8 320 GB SATA

Do you have access to another active Windows system where you could connect the drive and format it? If so, also run a chkdsk on it.

Do you have access to another active Windows system where you could connect the drive and format it? If so, also run a chkdsk on it.
Yes, but I tried running Vista Install without any HDDs attached and I got the exact same behavior. If the problem is HDD related then, it would be at the chipset level rather than the HDD level.

Maybe loading drivers for everything at the point when it asks if you want to repair or install would kickstart it out of this weird behavior, do I just use the drivers on the asus website?

Update: I was able to browse my hard disks properly when I choose repair installation > load drivers, so I'm even more confused now. I didn't actually load any, I was just using to see if my HDDs worked.

The message comes from a corrupted bios, but that's weird that you can't replace it. Is there any messages coming up during the reprogram? I once had a bios that I couldn't reprogram after a bad flash and had to RMA the board. It gave me a write protection error.

If you have a p5q-e, then it should load a bios automatically with the diehard bios feature. Try not putting a disk in the drive and see what it does.

The message comes from a corrupted bios, but that's weird that you can't replace it. Is there any messages coming up during the reprogram? I once had a bios that I couldn't reprogram after a bad flash and had to RMA the board. It gave me a write protection error.

If you have a p5q-e, then it should load a bios automatically with the diehard bios feature. Try not putting a disk in the drive and see what it does.

No messages come up during the reprogram. I know that there is a second BIOS chip which is supposed to act as a backup but either that is corrupt or it just fancies sitting there i don't know. If i leave the drive empty the motherboard just cycles through Floppy/CD/USB until it finds P5QE.ROM.

No messages come up during the reprogram. I know that there is a second BIOS chip which is supposed to act as a backup but either that is corrupt or it just fancies sitting there i don't know. If i leave the drive empty the motherboard just cycles through Floppy/CD/USB until it finds P5QE.ROM.

Ok, so I guess the diehard bios is trying to work, but is failing.

I'm looking at the bios upgrade procedure in the asus forums:
http://vip.asus.com/forum/view.aspx?id=20070215223109668&board_id=1&model=P5B+Deluxe%2fWiFi-AP&page=1&SLanguage=en-us

Step 10: Perform a C.P.R. (CPU Parameter Recall) which resets the chipset. Power down, remove power cord from the PSU for 2 minutes and then power up.

After the bios reprograms, try doing that. Disconnect the power from the wall or turn off the power supply from its switch.

Feels like a long-shot, though.

Back