the price of 939 processors (rant)

AMD sells the 6000+ for less than that. :p

You should see how hard it is to unload a socket A system. :(

I bought 3 4200 x2 last year for $59 a piece with free shipping. Does a media center with 1 SD tuner need dual core? Probably not. Does it have on? Yes. :D

Still running my opty 180. It and the 8800GT do what I need them to...but I'm looking forward to maybe upgrading to something a bit newer at the end of the year.

Makes me wish i would have stocked up when newegg was blowing hem out a few months ago.

I've been trying to sell my 939 system with an X2 4200+ for almost 2 months now and all I've gotten are offers to trade, and people with very "American" names who can't type English and want to pay with cashiers checks.:confused:

I don't want to piece it out but I'm starting to think thats the only way I'm gonna get rid of it.

I still have a s939 system and I am very happy with it. I bought my 170 for about 200 from the egg about a year ago and it has been running between 2.6 - 2.7 24/7. I too have been struggling with the temptation to upgrade, but why do that if it still works really well? I am staying until 8 core procs come out and then make the choice to go Intel or AMD.

I've been trying to sell my 939 system with an X2 4200+ for almost 2 months now and all I've gotten are offers to trade, and people with very "American" names who can't type English and want to pay with cashiers checks.:confused:

I don't want to piece it out but I'm starting to think thats the only way I'm gonna get rid of it.

Hallo mi name is Eric Thompson

can perhaps you accept money order from dubabi bank but money order be made out for $200 near asking price so you may godly blessly deliver $100 to my ailing brother in texas enjoy fun time yes?

just bought a 9600 phenom for a deal so I am going to sell my dual core and put single back in it and an old 6800. it will go to my mom for word processing.

Some of those 2x1 gb DDR1 kits are around the same price as 2x2gb DDR2 kits!

nice, so when it's time to ditch my 4600 x2, I'm paying off half of my next CPU for the build.

Hes not a retard, but it is just supply and demand. If people want them that badly, then they will buy them for that price.

Dual core 939 Opterons are still available, and affordable (compared to the used prices). Your local screwdriver shop will be able to order one and have it in a couple of days.

Hope prices stay high for another two weeks. Hoping to sell my ram and X2 3800 after I get my stimulus check from G Dub. Hoping to get at least $50 for the processor and $80 for the 4 gb of DDR.

Hope prices stay high for another two weeks. Hoping to sell my ram and X2 3800 after I get my stimulus check from G Dub. Hoping to get at least $50 for the processor and $80 for the 4 gb of DDR.

Those prices seem kinda low. I just spent $65 for 2GB of DDR off the forums :X

All of this talk makes me think I should downgrade the kids' computer from their 175 (ran at 2.75 since day 1) and 2gb of G.Skill DDR500, and pocket a little money in the process......... dang.

The market forces in place here are hardly rocket science.

This always happens and maybe always will. Look how much killer AGP Video cards cost and watch how well they hold their prices! I payed $53.00 after rebate(if I get it...otherwise $83.00) for 2gigs of OCZ Platinum DDR for my neighbors PC......why? Cause their stills LOTS of people that wanna upgrade their old or even ancient pcs.

The fastest processors from a retired line are always gonna command a premium. If you think you can play the market well(lol) then stock up on some. Look how much the socket 754 ClawHammer (1mb L2cache) cpus fetch on feebay!

One mans opinion of *price gouging* is anothers mans definition of great Capitalizm. One doesn't need to be an Award winning Economist to figure this out.

Respectfully.

Just to drive the point of this thread home:

Some guy bought an Opteron 185 for $240 from me on eBay :D

Do you know how much I sold 2 Pentium 4's socket 427 or something like that, the fastest 400mhz chip.

Both for over $150 a piece. lol.

Nice one, I agree after looking to put together a 939 media center pc. Damn ridiculous

The market forces in place here are hardly rocket science.

This always happens and maybe always will. Look how much killer AGP Video cards cost and watch how well they hold their prices! I payed $53.00 after rebate(if I get it...otherwise $83.00) for 2gigs of OCZ Platinum DDR for my neighbors PC......why? Cause their stills LOTS of people that wanna upgrade their old or even ancient pcs.

The fastest processors from a retired line are always gonna command a premium. If you think you can play the market well(lol) then stock up on some. Look how much the socket 754 ClawHammer (1mb L2cache) cpus fetch on feebay!

One mans opinion of *price gouging* is anothers mans definition of great Capitalizm. One doesn't need to be an Award winning Economist to figure this out.

Respectfully.

One of the earliest I can remember is the Pentium 200. It was the fastest Pentium classic, and commanded a high price. It was also quickly replaced by the Pentium MMX, which used a split voltage that was incompatible with older boards.

Thus, if you wanted to upgrade, you had to buy a Pentium classic, and so the Pentium 200 became scarce and overpriced in the used market.

I paid $170 for my 4400+ X2 back in March of '07.

Seemed fair at the time....

My buddy and I both picked one up for fear of lack of availability later on....

Still serving me quite well :)

You and me both! I got the 4400 Toledo core from Newegg in December '06 (Xmas for myself, haha) for like $160 when I saw the writing on the wall with 939 prices and availability. I've been looking around at FX-60's, I figure it'd be fun to own a "top end" part for once in my life, and they are exorbitant! I realize they didn't make many, and wasn't too shocked by those prices, but they are more than I want to pay.

I am very glad I picked up my 4400+ X2 when I did. The prices really are outrageous compared to similarly old procs from Intel, but is anyone surprised that the 939's are way pricier? They are still pretty solid, my only regret was not being able to get 4 cores to have 2 always folding. Of course, I think that's offset by the Nvidia Folding Client, so I'm happy for quite some time now. 4 GB of ram, perhaps? Of course, then I could rant about DDR ram prices, haha. Such is life.

im still using a socket 939 amd dual core....i dont do hardcore gaming so it's perfect...no need to upgrade that

I would also still contend that the s939 was a good line up. Gonna be sad here in a month or so when i part out my computer:(

My Opty170 running stable at 2.97Ghz with a possible 3.05Ghz(maybe higher) with a better board. Almost in the highest percent of 170's recorded at hwbot;) So I really have had no complaints. Socket 939 FTW:D

With whats in my sig, I haven't thought about upgrading yet. The 939 are excellent, I just upgrade the vid card about every two years.My next card will be the 4870. Now someone with more brains out there tell me how many frames I'm losing with my system vs theirs. As their saying at the tech sites most of the work is being off loaded to the GPU. Its been awhile since Kyle and the men did a up to date scaling of the cpu and gpu or can some one steer me in the direction of the latest scaling they did.

I would also still contend that the s939 was a good line up. Gonna be sad here in a month or so when i part out my computer:(

My Opty170 running stable at 2.97Ghz with a possible 3.05Ghz(maybe higher) with a better board. Almost in the highest percent of 170's recorded at hwbot;) So I really have had no complaints. Socket 939 FTW:D

So why are you moving on, it sure isn't the speed, and I'm sure you can put in the latest video cards.Unless one or two frames in games are critical to you. Or else I'm missing your reason for upgrading.

i have my 939 165@ 2.8 rock stable i will not let this go for less than a comparable model @ $160+ what ever the market looks like... its supply and demand just like oil *rolls eyes* i think amd should go back and make one last 939 processor run a black edition with their outsourcing partner

i have my 939 165@ 2.8 rock stable i will not let this go for less than a comparable model @ $160+ what ever the market looks like... its supply and demand just like oil *rolls eyes* i think amd should go back and make one last 939 processor run a black edition with their outsourcing partner

IF they did that, I would buy one. I already have dual core, but if AMD made that kind of decision, I would have to support them, socket 939 was a massive leap forward from anything previous to it, and AM2 was a needless redesign to grab more money.

So why are you moving on, it sure isn't the speed, and I'm sure you can put in the latest video cards.Unless one or two frames in games are critical to you. Or else I'm missing your reason for upgrading.

LOL well thats why i still have what I have :D Even with what i wrote earlier, it wont take much for the upgrade money to go for a 4870X2 or a 24" monitor. Every once in a while i get an itch to upgrade platforms but then comments like this put me in line :p

One of the earliest I can remember is the Pentium 200. It was the fastest Pentium classic, and commanded a high price. It was also quickly replaced by the Pentium MMX, which used a split voltage that was incompatible with older boards.

Thus, if you wanted to upgrade, you had to buy a Pentium classic, and so the Pentium 200 became scarce and overpriced in the used market.

Thanks for the history lesson bro.......I was round back then but I don't remember that. I do remember building my grandmother a Pentium 233mhz rig out of spare parts that was already really old @ the time.......ha!

Anyone that pays $250 for a socket 939 dual core today should be shot on general principle.

I digress some from earlier........yeah the prices for the 939 Dual Cores is enough to make ya sick. If your not already rocking a fast single core or dual core 939.......just freaking build a nice new AM2 budget pc already....hehe.

IF they did that, I would buy one. I already have dual core, but if AMD made that kind of decision, I would have to support them, socket 939 was a massive leap forward from anything previous to it, and AM2 was a needless redesign to grab more money.

well this took a lot of tweaking memory trimmings need to be loose, htt multiplier set to 3x, memory divider set to 100 for starters then raise the htt bus speed when you can go no further raise the mem divider to 133 and volla

Back