The Temperature Thread

a ronin

Gawd
Alright, we all know since Apple released their MacTels, people have said their computers run hot. Let's use this thread to tabulate some tangible numbers. Include as much information as you think is relevant.

Mac 2.1 C2C MBP

I thought these things were a marvel of engineering because of how quiet they ran but it never occurred to me that it could possible come at a cost. I used smcFanControl and looked at the temperature which was 120ishF or just 55ish celcius; acceptable operating temperature since my AMD desktop has always been as hot or hotter.

At any rate, I don't know if I can tolerate hearing the fans in this notebook. Right now it's spinning at max (6000rpm) to see what temps it can achieve. 40celcius would be great, but it's much too loud.

Please post your setups and temps and throw in a few tips for what we can do to keep these temps nice and cool for the uninitiated.

Again:

2.13 C2D 50-55celcius 2000-3000RPM for both fans

on your c2d macbookpro, is the bottom hot or the top hot?

Wow, yours runs hot!
Computer in sig normal operating temp ~ 43C,
thats normal operating temp, when im typing this, with it sitting on a desk. Room temp 75F. Also, running off battery, if that makes a difference at all (85% a.t.m.).
Not sure what temp it is at full load, but the highest ive seen it was 54C. I guess im lucky or something. Also, my fans are at 2000 each i believe, at least thats what it says in smcfancontrol...however i just opened it to look at the program.

It would seem my unit tends to run 5-10 celcius hotter than yours. I've been running it on AC since this morning to see if there are dfference, but they're negigible. I'm not too worried though as long as the "touch-test" is kosher. It's barely warm on the surface so, whatever!

At any rate, I'm learning to run this at 3000RPM or so. Just gives me more incentives to blast my music.

Original MBP 2.0 with 256 Vram (not a C2D machine).

At stock fan speed I used to get in the mid 90's load (highest was a 97, and my computer shut down do to heat.)

Applecare said that was "normal" (My ass) so I replaced the TIM myself.

Now, under full load at stock fan speed I get about 86c

With SMC fan control at min 3000rpm, I load in the high 50's.

For summary

Original dual Load: 90+
Original dual Load in Windows with RTHDRIBL: 108+
AS5 dual Load: 86-
Original dual Load in Windows with RTHDRIBL: 94+
SMC Fan Control (3000RPM) in OS X: 56

Back