Thermalpaste on board!?

So i was about to apply some Arctic cooling MX-2 thermal paste when I accidentally pushed the plunger too hard and it fell on the motherboard. I noticed that it had fallen on a square shaped mosfet looking thingy. I wiped up as much as i could w/ alcohol and q-tips but i couldn't get into the crevices. AC MX-2 is sold as non conductive. Should i be worried?

heres a pic of where the paste dropped.
mobo.jpg

in other news i got tired of waiting and decided to power it on. it works fine (so far) and my 555 is a quad :) priming 4ghz.

still though should i be worried? lol

Last edited:
cant see anything in the picture.. id use a needle and cleanex and whip it all up. if its non-conductive sounds fine. but i dont know shit so prob double checkw someone else and takea real picture

tbh i couldn't tell if the silvery stuff was the paste or the board... but u make a good pt i'll probably try the needle kleenex method. might as well since i've already tried the mini flat head and towel. i'll get a pic up soon too.

I doubt it will hurt, but did you try a toothbrush?

The makers of Arctic Silver claim their paste is nonconductive, except under high pressure, but they also told me to not use it on high voltage stuff. BTW don't rely on any measurement made with an ohm meter's tips dipped into the grease because I once had some aluminized grease that measured infinite ohms, but the manufacturer warned that it was electrically conductive.

Non conductive is like fat free there is little but still some, there ican be some conductivity depending in voltage and there are the contaminates in the air that will stick to the gooey surface of the paste over time which will create some surface conductivity. I would fliush it with Isopropal Alc and get it all off if you can.

Back