Thinking of buying some bookshelves

aznpxdd

2[H]4U
So I currently have the z-2300's and I'm thinking about switching to some budget bookshelves , either the Polk R150's or the Insignia's. I have a spare amp that I can use to power the speakers, but I've got a couple of questions.

I can still keep and use the subwoofer from my z2300 right? My Audigy 4 has three outputs, so that shouldn't be a problem? If so, how do I configure my Audigy 4 to output sound to both outputs without changing the channels to 5.1? (should be the same for all Creative cards I think)

Lastly, the $50-60 upgrade is worth right? I know computer speakers aren't very popular here, but there definitely is a noticeable between my stock speakers and the Polk/Insignias?

Actually, surprisingly, computer speakers are very popular here, mainly because this is more of a gaming forum than an audiophile forum. I think it would be worth it, but if the amp does not produce the sound you like, then it may still be a disappointment. I find that switching speaker amps, I notice quite a bit of difference. If you don't have the money to go all the way, though, I'd still suggest you start somewhere, and starter bookshelves are a good place to start.

Scrap the 2300 entirely.

Look on Craigslist for a used Yamaha or Pioneer Receiver. Buy that and use your logitech speakers then continue to search Craigslist until someone is selling some decent, cheap speakers or even a complete 5.1 system.

Cash and carry and you can hear them first to boot.

If you get even entry level stuff it is still waaaaay better than the 2300 lol.

even the entry level bookshelf speaker you mentioned will produce way better sound than the 2300.
i was able to configure my x-fi to output the same stereo signal on 2 connectors at the back by switching windows sound properties to 4 channel setup, i think this should work with your card to.
but i'd say use your amp first, and save up for a real sub if you need one. the bookshelves will output a nice amount of bass but maybe not enough if you are a basshead.

+1 for the Insignia's. I have 6 in a 6.1 setup for my 360 and 2 on my desk for general listening when I'm not in the mood for my headphones. They are simply awesome speakers! :D

+1 for the Polk R150s. They were $50/pair at Outpost.com a couple days back.

Hm, seems like BB raised the price on Insignia's to ~$90 (WTF?). So Polk R150 at $50 a pair is definitely the better deal?

Couple years back I replaced my z5500 front speakers with those polks, and got much fuller sound. Love them.

I'd like to get a receiver, but I'd want keep my logi sub =( Gotta wait till I can buy a decent sub and receiver at the same time.

Back