This is ridiculous..

Qwertyman

2[H]4U
I work at a minor league baseball stadium in production and one of their computers was busted so i said i'll check it out. Now here is the funny part it was sent in twice for repairs and no one could fix it. I opened it up and found out its running a P3 933MHZ, a matrox video card, a pci audio adapter, a scsi pci card connected to 4 drives, a 52x optical drive, a floppy drive, 2 fans, all off of get this...a 300w Top power supply with horrendous rails!!

Am I crazy or is that way too little? I mean there's so many things wrong, first of all a P3 computer rendering video, no battery backup, and a terrible psu.

So what do i tell them to get a PC Power and Cooling old model 425 or higher Turbo Cool to at least protect their investment?

Its not that i care about their crap, i care about the computer. :D

Actually... probably not. I've got a dual P3 1.0, some old 4MB vid card, and 4 drives (3 scsi) running off a 300W Enermax. P3s really don't take much power... maybe 30W each for my 1.0 chips.
As for what's wrong with the machine, I have no idea. "busted" just isn't enough info.

Qwertyman said:
So what do i tell them to get a PC Power and Cooling old model 425 or higher Turbo Cool to at least protect their investment?
I know where you can get one cheap
:D :D

EnderW said:
I know where you can get one cheap
:D :D
link me... :D

Yeah but this is a Top power supply not Enermax. I fixed the problem by replacing it with my Antec TP380 for a little while...It worked fine.

No offence Ender cause i know you wanna sell that sweeeeeeeeet PSU (id prolly trade it staright up for my true550 antec if you were willing :p)

But really, to run that rig you dont need something like that, id get a antec true series, like 380 or something i think they start out as? look on newegg itll be like 40-60 bucks

ps get back to me on that offer Ender ;) :p

soulsaver_8229

The 300W Topower may have "horrendous rails" if you wanted to put it in an AThlon 64 or Pentium 4, but a Pentium 3 regulates it's power from the 5V rail, and the Topower 300W has almost all of it's power on the 5V rail... right where it needs to be for that build.

I'm not going to say the PC isn't having problems due to a failed or somehow defective power supply, but putting a PCP&C in there would be a big mistake. Not that it would hurt, but it's just not what that PC needs.

Ok, now it sounds like it's definately PSU. The only point I was trying to make earlier was that you don't need much juice to run a P3 with 4 drives, not that the PSU wasn't broken.
Nothing wrong with PC Power and cooling supplies of course (I run a 510 myself... dual Opteron rig), but even a 425 is overkill. If you want a PCP&C, I'd get the silencer 310. It's $50. 28A +5V, 19A +12V, 24A +3.3V should be more than enough for that rig.

Qwertyman said:
Yeah but this is a Top power supply not Enermax. I fixed the problem by replacing it with my Antec TP380 for a little while...It worked fine.

Why do you have something against Topower? They make Tagan, OCZ, Vantec, etc. Are you getting them confused with another brand or did you have a bad personal experience with them? Just curious.

i don't think it was Topower, Just Top...which really doesn't make much sense (i may be wrong.) I'm not gonna buy the PC Power and Cooling Psu anyway too expensive.

What can i pickup for under 50-60 that may suite well?

thats for all your help so far, if i don't get hit...i'll never learn.

well TOP will be the first three letters in a Topower model designation
and like most major manufactirers they offfer (and have offered) a fairly large breadth of quality\pricepoint in their lineup, the budget solutions while not exactly fantastic also arent exactly junk provided they arent overtaxed

Qwertyman said:
i don't think it was Topower, Just Top...which really doesn't make much sense (i may be wrong.) I'm not gonna buy the PC Power and Cooling Psu anyway too expensive.

What can i pickup for under 50-60 that may suite well?

thats for all your help so far, if i don't get hit...i'll never learn.
Older Antec designs like the TruePower 1 line have a good amperage distrubution for +5v dependent P3 systems, as do Fortron's ATX 1.3 supplies. I would personally probably drop a Fortron 400 in there and call it good.

Good call, guys (Vertigo and Korruption.)

The FSP aka SPI aka AOpen 350W PSU's are EVERYWHERE and are CHEAP and they're PERFECT for that motherboard.

The problem is, I can't find one really cheap for you. Seems everyone has them for $30-$40, which can't be right because the damn QF50 cases that they come in only cost me about $55! :D

EDIT: Anyone know anything about Dealsonic? They have this PSU for only $21.99!

Back