Thoughts on 3d modeling software & sculpting/texturing with a Tablet PC?

GoldenTiger

Fully [H]
Anyone use software such as zBrush et al. or other 3d modeling tools, plus photoshop/gimp/etc. for texturing/painting, on a tablet pc such as the Lenovo X230T with an i5 CPU and HD4000 GPU? If so, how do 1m or lower models work, or 2m/lower, for zBrush? How is the performance? I am looking into getting a tablet and slapping this stuff on it, for direct sculpting/texturing/etc.or a Cintiq, but prefer a full separate machine. Anyone have some experience here and can recommend? :) I work well with a normal tablet, but I still always feel some disconnect... I have researched a little but I haven't found much info regarding newer ones. Also, I'm especially interested in anyone that's tried say the new Atoms in Windows 8 tabs.... but I doubt they're strong enough.

Last edited:
For what you're describing something like the x230t should be fine, it's got plenty of power for something like Photoshop and GIMP for most tasks. You can check out TabletPCReview.com, people talk about the performance of tools like this constantly on various hardware and the x200 series is a popular convertible Tablet PC machine.

The new Atom Clover Trail Windows 8 tablets would not be good for what you're describing. Photoshop and GIMP will run be the performance isn't there but for the most basic tasks.

Thanks heatless :).... I actually had snooped around there but wasn't finding concise info offhand. The x230t looks great to me, and I've seen some incredible lenovo outlet deals on them lately. A post from you is worth a lot more to me than random non-technically-knowledgeable ones I have found so far ;), so I appreciate it.

You can get pens which provide pressure sensitivity which seem pretty cool.
I'd still personally prefer a Cintiq or Intuos5 but I'm a desk kinda guy.
Also, non screen drawing tablets are more practical than you think once you get the basics down.

Thanks GT. I don't think you can get the x230t with Windows 8 installed, however it should work perfectly with Windows 8, my x220t works very well. I don't think the touch digitizer in the x230t supports enough touch points to be certified for Windows 8 to allow Lenovo to sell it as an option, but a device like this really is much better with 8 than 7.

You can get pens which provide pressure sensitivity which seem pretty cool.
I'd still personally prefer a Cintiq or Intuos5 but I'm a desk kinda guy.
Also, non screen drawing tablets are more practical than you think once you get the basics down.

Yeah, I've used non-screen ones for a good number of years, but I still have never quite gotten over the disconnect from screen to tablet entirely. A Cintiq would be fantastic, but I figure if I'll be spending that much money on a tool anyway, I may as well get one with a full computer built into it. Then again... the performance my main workstation would provide and having it all on one PC for my production flow would be best. Additionally, I've seen the occasional Lenovo deal for a nice X230 tablet at around $650, while I have yet to see any good deal on a Cintiq 12 and they run about $1k. As it's for professional work, I need something non-DIY, though I'm interested in making one just for fun. Is there a source for less expensive Cintiq units than I've seen?

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Hmmm.... http://www.amazon.com/Yiynova-DP10HD-Digitizer-Display-Windows/dp/B008EYA9EG/ is apparrently very well reviewed including some major outlets (mentioned in NYT in an online review of it), and works quite nicely. It also is only $370. Looking like a top contender for me right now... someone has a youtube review up of it here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5E4IDM2tPaY . I think it would be perfect for my needs.

Looks cool!
Drivers might be an issue if working in a professional sense. Also, straight glass texture can be good or bad depending on preference. The price is right though :D

Hmmm.... http://www.amazon.com/Yiynova-DP10HD-Digitizer-Display-Windows/dp/B008EYA9EG/ is apparrently very well reviewed including some major outlets (mentioned in NYT in an online review of it), and works quite nicely. It also is only $370. Looking like a top contender for me right now... someone has a youtube review up of it here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5E4IDM2tPaY . I think it would be perfect for my needs.

Cool, I've actually seen this before. I guess you're looking at something that you can just plug into an existing PC.

Cool, I've actually seen this before. I guess you're looking at something that you can just plug into an existing PC.

Yeah, I don't *need* a separate device from my main workstation for texture painting and sculpting, I just was figuring if I were going to invest a grand into the tool, it may as well be a full device. However, when you're talking $350ish instead of $1k for it (as opposed to the Cintiq 12" unit) the value proposition changes. It's the first I'd heard of non-Wacom ones like that or DIY setups. I actually prefer having something like this that just hooks into the workstation rather than being a full computer in and of itself, for the usage I need.

Looks cool!
Drivers might be an issue if working in a professional sense. Also, straight glass texture can be good or bad depending on preference. The price is right though :D

It'll be for working on indie games as part of a couple-person team, including myself. So, as long as it works properly as a tool, it makes sense. I currently use a monoprice tablet personally (10x6.25") and it works extremely well.

I tried out a 12" cintiq and hated it. You can't mirror the screen so you essentially have to have the 3d app on a low res minuscule screen with your hand in front of it. In my opinion its either one of the larger digitizer screens or the separate digitizer. Portable tablets are interesting providing the screen res is good and it's not smaller than 10" or your hand will block your view.

Hmmmm.... thanks, I appreciate the thoughts. Have you tried using a larger digitizer screen tablet like the 19" model or a 22" Cintiq? If so, how do you feel they compare to the smaller ones in terms of ease of use and actual productivity? (I'd love thoughts from anyone as well, of course).

I haven't used the larger ones but I can tell you one thing, 3d apps dont like low res screens.

Well, I grabbed the following for $664 + tax, with free shipping...

Lenovo X230 Tablet
Processor: Intel® Core™ i5-3320M Processor (3M Cache, 2.60 GHz)( )
Operating system: Windows 7 Professional 64 - English
Display: 12.5" HD WXGA (1366 X 768) MultiTouch LED backlight"
Graphics: Intel® HD Graphics 4000
Memory: 4 GB PC3-12800 DDR3 SDRAM 1600MHz SODIMM Memory
Hard Drive: 128GB SATA 2.5" Solid State Drive
Optical Drive: No Optical Included
Battery: ThinkPad Battery 67+ (6 cell)
Warranty: 1 Year Standard Depot Warranty

I'll let you guys know how it works once it comes in. :)

Back