Thoughts on Nikon D40x?

mwarps

Supreme [H]ardness
I've been looking at this camera lately, and decided that I'm probably going to grab it before I go home for the holidays.

bhphotovideo has a kit with the 18-55mm ED II DX lens, and the 55-200 ED VR DX lens for $744 shipped.

Does anyone have any experience either with this body or kit or lenses?

I started with a canon sd100, moved to a panasonic FZ20, and now I've really got the bug.

I'll probably be using the camera for baseball, some night shooting (cityscape type stuff) and indoor portraits.

55-200 lens is bad a low light photog. Suffers from minor CA, pincoushining at 200mm. Some have said some vignetting, but I didn't notice it on the two I played with.
The D40X, from the simple description you gave us, is very overkill for what you'll be doing. Don't buy into the megapixel myth :).
Realise that with the D40 and D40X you MUST use AF-S or AF-I lenses, as the body does *not* have an AF Motor built in.
The viewfinder, IMO, leaves a lot to be desired on the D40X.
If you can, I'd look for a D50. If you'll be doing a lot of low light shooting, you'll want a fast lens, probably a prime (50 f/1.4). For the baseball stuff, you'll probably want a decent zoom. A 300mm would be cool, especially if you can afford a fast one. If not, the Nikon 70-300mm with VR would be useable.
What's your budget?

Budget is around $900. Fast glass is probably out.

I knew about the AF-S or AF-I lens issue after doing some basic research, so that's not really a problem.

Budget is around $900. Fast glass is probably out.

I knew about the AF-S or AF-I lens issue after doing some basic research, so that's not really a problem.
If you could swing it, I think you might be a little better off with the D80 + 18-135 kit lens.
It's about $1050 @ Amazon. Might be able to find it cheaper if you look hard enough.
The 18-135 has VERY pleasant bokeh, which would be ideal for your portraits. It's not terribly fast glass, but it's pretty quick. It's pretty decent at low-light shots, though I noticed the D50 hunts a little bit with it. Not near as bad as it did with the 55-200mm. Also has VR, which at 135mm is negligable, but still nice. It's cool to see your subject just freeze when not using a tripod!
If you *really* look for it, or do large prints, you might notice some wave-yness in the photos when shooting between 18-24mm. Higher than that, it'll be good though.
CA is so-so. Not bad, not good. About what can be expected from a budget lens.
I don't know what you'll be doing for baseball. If you're up in nosebleed, you'll want a 300mm. If you're otherwise close, you should be able to manage with the 135mm. (realize that if you're coming from film like I did, a 135mm on these DX sensors is really about a 200mm lens!)

Other things I disliked about the D40/D40X even D50:
One command dial. Makes you dig more into the menus to change things than my D80 does. If not menus, then more command dial + button actions to achieve the same thing that I do with a flick of my thumb on my D80.
No top LCD. Man, this is what pushed me over the edge for a D80. I must have that top LCD.
Histograms on D40/D40x/D50 are useless. I think they're either a composite or an avg-green histogram. Both are utterly useless. My D80 has R/G/B/Total. Pretty sweet and actaully useable!
D80 also does bracketing, while the others don't.

Of course, it's up to you in the end. The D40/X is smaller and lighter, so that might be the be-all end-all selling point for you.
Only thing I can suggest is hit the local shop and fondle them :).

I spent some quality time molesting a few different bodies last night at the local shop. I do like the lightweightness of the D40/X, for certain. I'm not sure I'm sold on the top LCD on some of the other models.. :p

I'm going to probably go with the d40x and the 70-300. I'm usually not in good seats when I shoot baseball, so the D80 with the 18-135 wouldn't get me there.. Always a give and take.

I spent some quality time molesting a few different bodies last night at the local shop. I do like the lightweightness of the D40/X, for certain. I'm not sure I'm sold on the top LCD on some of the other models.. :p

I'm going to probably go with the d40x and the 70-300. I'm usually not in good seats when I shoot baseball, so the D80 with the 18-135 wouldn't get me there.. Always a give and take.
Do me a favor and buy this before I do:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/used/471716/Nikon_25420_D40_SLR_Digital_Camera.html
And get some GOOD glass for on top :smug:.
I don't think I need a 4th DSLR, but that one's tempting!

Ooooh. Damn... I emailed for the condition.

Edit: Factory Refurb with a 90 day warranty. Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm...
I could've answered that for ya... ;).
B&H is good people too. I love them there. Factory refurb from Nikon = as good as new IME.

Just FYI, my old roommate would take a 70-200 + 1.4x TC to Fenway, and from the edge of the outfield he'd be able to frame the batter and pitcher when zoomed all the way in to 280mm. Fenway isn't exactly the biggest park either, so if you're up in the stands, 300 still might not get you as close as you'd like.

Just FYI, my old roommate would take a 70-200 + 1.4x TC to Fenway, and from the edge of the outfield he'd be able to frame the batter and pitcher when zoomed all the way in to 280mm. Fenway isn't exactly the biggest park either, so if you're up in the stands, 300 still might not get you as close as you'd like.

... You must have read some of my other posts about baseball :)

Thanks for the input :)

... You must have read some of my other posts about baseball :)

Thanks for the input :)

Hahah, total coincidence, I just looked at some of your previous posts now. Hopefully you'll be able to get some shots of Jacoby in the outfield this coming season =)

Realize, getting lenses over 300mm gets EXPENSIVE and QUICK.
Your best bet is to take the shot without the subject filling the frame, and since you'll more than likely end up doing some PP on the shot anyway, crop to make the subject fill the frame.
He's playing around with a 10MP sensor, 3872x2592 resolution. Even if he has to crop, he'll still have insane resolution and should be able to print 8x10 at least with what's leftover...
Just some thought. Also, using a teleconverter isn't always a good idea; can lead to a lot of IQ problems. Vignetting probably being one of the biggest.

the bigger problem with using a TC is losing one stop of brightness and losing AF on non-pro bodies. Plus TCs only work with a few lenses that are not pro lenses.

Now I am not a Nikon guy so I don't know exactly what lenses they work with, but you get the idea ;)

I had some experience with TC in the past and it's not a route I plan on taking, just to clarify.

fugu said:
Hahah, total coincidence, I just looked at some of your previous posts now. Hopefully you'll be able to get some shots of Jacoby in the outfield this coming season =)

I'm hoping so. The fiancee is all about Jacoby and Dustin :p We'll see how far the 70-300 can pull 2B from the bleachers :D

Nikon's TCs only work with the high end AFS telephotos: 200mm and up (look for the gold band). TCs do not create vignetting. They may however introduce some softness - particularly the 2x

Nikon's TCs only work with the high end AFS telephotos: 200mm and up (look for the gold band). TCs do not create vignetting. They may however introduce some softness - particularly the 2x
They don't introduce it, but they will enhance it if it's already there.
TC's work best when used in conjunction with the best glass. Using it with consumer targeted and entry level glass is just asking for trouble, or at least a LOT of PP work.

If it's your first DSLR, I would highly recommend a D40/D40x + Sigma 30mm F1.4 combo.
That lens is a pleasure to use in low light condition or indoors, and it's sharp sharp and sharp. Did I mention it is extremely sharp?
The focal length is perfect for most shots you will take, it's not too long, and if it's too short, you can always zoom with your legs.

d40b.jpg

d40a.jpg

If it's your first DSLR, I would highly recommend a D40/D40x + Sigma 30mm F1.4 combo.
That lens is a pleasure to use in low light condition or indoors, and it's sharp sharp and sharp. Did I mention it is extremely sharp?
The focal length is perfect for most shots you will take, it's not too long, and if it's too short, you can always zoom with your legs.
He can't excatly zoom from the outfield to the pitcher's mound with that, eh? ;)
Also, he'll be limited in lens choice. Can't do bracketing, has a totally used histogram, and the list goes on...

He can't excatly zoom from the outfield to the pitcher's mound with that, eh? ;)
Also, he'll be limited in lens choice. Can't do bracketing, has a totally used histogram, and the list goes on...

Well, I got the D40x, along with the 55-200VR.
I cannot do bracketing.. at least not unless I lag my laptop around and use a program.
I'll take it as a learning experience, and in a few years get something that can do bracketing. For now a tripod and a light touch on the command wheel will have to do. I don't do that much that requires bracketing anyway. I wanted to get into HDR, but it's pretty much beyond this camera.

That said, I'm *very* happy with what I've got with the D40x compared to my old FZ20. The FZ20 had 432mm equivalent f/2.8, but it's *useless* in anything but bright sunshine (anything above ISO 100 is so noisy you might as well shit on the detector and call it a shot) I can get away with much slower glass and a faster shutterspeed with ISO 800 on the D40x that has lower noise than ISO 100 on the Fz20. It really is night and day.

Flash response actually works right with the D40x. Anytime I used the flash on the Fz20, it would completely whitewash the shot, even with higher apertures and faster shutterspeeds.

And as far as the 30mm f/1.4 Sigma goes .. can't afford it. not for about a year.

Well, I got the D40x, along with the 55-200VR.
I cannot do bracketing.. at least not unless I lag my laptop around and use a program.
I'll take it as a learning experience, and in a few years get something that can do bracketing. For now a tripod and a light touch on the command wheel will have to do. I don't do that much that requires bracketing anyway. I wanted to get into HDR, but it's pretty much beyond this camera.

That said, I'm *very* happy with what I've got with the D40x compared to my old FZ20. The FZ20 had 432mm equivalent f/2.8, but it's *useless* in anything but bright sunshine (anything above ISO 100 is so noisy you might as well shit on the detector and call it a shot) I can get away with much slower glass and a faster shutterspeed with ISO 800 on the D40x that has lower noise than ISO 100 on the Fz20. It really is night and day.

Flash response actually works right with the D40x. Anytime I used the flash on the Fz20, it would completely whitewash the shot, even with higher apertures and faster shutterspeeds.
That 55-200VR is a pretty sweet lens. I liked mine for the trial period I had it... I opt'd for the 70-300mm VR in the end, but I needed the extra mm. Looking to get the 18-135mm for my "carrying" lens on my first D80, then the 70-300mm on the 2nd one.
Cool camera, those D40's though. Just a bit small for my huge hands, and I do a lot of HDR photography, so the bracketing made that easier.
Of course though, my gear outshines my ability by far ;).

That 55-200VR is a pretty sweet lens. I liked mine for the trial period I had it... I opt'd for the 70-300mm VR in the end, but I needed the extra mm. Looking to get the 18-135mm for my "carrying" lens on my first D80, then the 70-300mm on the 2nd one.
Cool camera, those D40's though. Just a bit small for my huge hands, and I do a lot of HDR photography, so the bracketing made that easier.
Of course though, my gear outshines my ability by far ;).

I am really happy with the lens so far. I am thinking about moving to the 70-300mm already because I know I'm gonna want those homeplate shots from the bleachers. Same aperture, just .. 3x the cost :eek: We'll see. The 18-55 is pretty good for an everyday lens for what I'm using it for. Little dark, but that's the tradeoff. Oh money, you cannot come fast enough!!!

I am really happy with the lens so far. I am thinking about moving to the 70-300mm already because I know I'm gonna want those homeplate shots from the bleachers. Same aperture, just .. 3x the cost :eek: We'll see. The 18-55 is pretty good for an everyday lens for what I'm using it for. Little dark, but that's the tradeoff. Oh money, you cannot come fast enough!!!
The 70-300mm I use is ~$450 new. I watched on on eBay the other day close at $290 something. I'd buy your 55-200mm if you want to sell it ;).

The 70-300mm I use is ~$450 new. I watched on on eBay the other day close at $290 something. I'd buy your 55-200mm if you want to sell it ;).

I am "not allowed" to buy any more electronics or photog equipment until after I graduate (per she who must be obeyed).. Come June, we'll see what's up.

I am "not allowed" to buy any more electronics or photog equipment until after I graduate (per she who must be obeyed).. Come June, we'll see what's up.
*snickers* hehe. That's when it's best to have a "her" that has the same interests as you ;).

*snickers* hehe. That's when it's best to have a "her" that has the same interests as you ;).

Oh she actually does for the most part. I am at school, and therefore completely without income until then, so it actually makes sense :p

Oh she actually does for the most part. I am at school, and therefore completely without income until then, so it actually makes sense :p
Take another loan out. You probably have about 10 anyway, what's another one?

For that kind of money, I'd be looking at either the 200-400 f/4 or the 200 f/2. (In fact, I am looking at both of these ;))

I got this baby with loan money :p
Well, then... I dunno. I guess you did OK ;).
Nah, it'll be a good camera for you. Just keep in mind that you didn't just buy a camera (and lens), you've bought into an entire system. While at your stage it'd be easy to switch to like Canon/Pentax/Sony etc., the more you get into accessories for it, the harder it'll be to change later on.
I had a big issue going just from film to digital. My minolta gear didn't work to well with the Sony's of today (Sony bought Minolta, for those not in the know). Basically I bought a big bullet in getting rid of about $4000 worth of stuff, for $800. Then I decided to look at entire systems etc.
I think you did OK buying into Nikon. Though, I bet the shooters from the 70s/80s who bought Minolta also thought they were going to do OK ;).

Now get your gear and go get shooting!

A little birdie told me that the D200, D80, D40 and D40x are all on their way out...
(I love the D80, dammit!)

A little birdie told me that the D200, D80, D40 and D40x are all on their way out...
(I love the D80, dammit!)

Not sure what that means :p

My old man stole the camera for a couple days, spun my head around like a top. He's just too good. (he's been doing it for 30 years, duh :p)

Someday I hope to be a tenth as good. Someday.

Took her to a hockey game, took ~700 shots.
I had my old camera for 3 years and only managed ~3500.
Hopefully it's a good start. (no, not gonna post anything yet, I know it sucks, so once I take something I actually like, I'll post it)

Not sure what that means :p

My old man stole the camera for a couple days, spun my head around like a top. He's just too good. (he's been doing it for 30 years, duh :p)

Someday I hope to be a tenth as good. Someday.

Took her to a hockey game, took ~700 shots.
I had my old camera for 3 years and only managed ~3500.
Hopefully it's a good start. (no, not gonna post anything yet, I know it sucks, so once I take something I actually like, I'll post it)
Those cams are being discontinued uh, very soon? ;)
Glad to hear it's getting used! I don't even know how many shutters I've put on my D80. Not too many, since it's too bloomin' cold out, and I haven't had much time outside of work to do anything.
Join a local photog group, if you have one. Mine meets once a month, and all of the guys there have 20, 30, 40+ years of expirence. Blows me away every time.

Well, according to the IRS tomorrow is refund day for me. Guess what that means?

D80 time.

For those of you considering the D40, D40x or D60... Just man up and get the D80, or even a used D70/D70s, unless you shoot manual focus all the time on any lens you use.

D40x has *lousy* AF. Not sure about the D40, but I doubt it's any better. You get no bracketing, and you only get AF-S lenses. Just get a real body. :)

My thread and my opinions, so deal :)

Factory refurb from Nikon = as good as new IME.

QFT. I just received my D80 refurb from Adorama a couple days ago, there's no way to tell if it's brand new or a refurb it's so pristine.

Well, according to the IRS tomorrow is refund day for me. Guess what that means?

D80 time.

For those of you considering the D40, D40x or D60... Just man up and get the D80, or even a used D70/D70s, unless you shoot manual focus all the time on any lens you use.

D40x has *lousy* AF. Not sure about the D40, but I doubt it's any better. You get no bracketing, and you only get AF-S lenses. Just get a real body. :)

My thread and my opinions, so deal :)

QFT again. Man up and get the D80. 11 AF points vs 3 AF points on the D40, auto exposure bracketing (a must have for HDR), the view finder is miles ahead of the D40, not to mention it just feels so much better and solid in your hand.

Bah - both of you guys have to really man up and get D2X (or D3!) :p

Can I tell you I told you so now? :-p

Go grab a D80. I live by mine :). Would never need or use anything greater being an amateur / hobbyist (with zero plan or hope of going "pro").

Can I tell you I told you so now? :-p

Go grab a D80. I live by mine :). Would never need or use anything greater being an amateur / hobbyist (with zero plan or hope of going "pro").

Pigfucker :) :D (said with much affection and respect)

I'm headed to the layout mines in a couple minutes, but this afternoon it are D80 tiem! I can has new kamra?!

Back