Time Difference on Servers and Workstations

Mabrito

Supreme [H]ardness
Today I noticed there is a 5 minute gap between my Active Directory controller time that has the PDC role and all the computers joined to the Active Directory domain. When I run the command "net time" on a child server/workstation, they properly report the time on the domain controller with the PDC role.

The domain controller that has the PDC role is a physical machine and we do have a secondary domain controller that is virtualized in a Hyper V environment.

Any idea whats causing the time sync to be off?"

check the system event log one of the workstations and see if there's any errors from the Time-Service source

check the system event log one of the workstations and see if there's any errors from the Time-Service source

I see this "NtpClient was unable to set a domain peer to use as a time source because of DNS resolution error on ''. NtpClient will try again in 3473457 minutes and double the reattempt interval thereafter. The error was: The requested name is valid, but no data of the requested type was found. (0x80072AFC)."

The last time that showed up was 10-12-2012, so not sure if that is still valid or not. Ill see if I can find out what not resolving or wasn't resolving in DNS for that specific error.

EDIT:

When I issue the w32tm /query /source command, it shows the secondary domain controller that doesnt have the PDC role. Shouldnt this be the DC with the PDC Role? Whats also weird, if I do a net time, it does show the proper domain controller with PDC.

Last edited:
are there any just informational events logged, which would say the time sync was successful?

how about if you do a:
w32tm /resync /nowait

then check system event logs again and see if it was an informational or error logged for the time-service source.

theoretically, any DC should be able to provide a response to an NTP request.
The rest of the DCs just query the one running the PDC emulator to sync, but are supposed to be able to be a time source for workstations.

Back