Time for my first laptop?

nadesico158

Limp Gawd
Hello, I'm looking into buying my first ever laptop and I'm torn between the Dell XPS m1530 and Lenovo T61P (the former on sale for 25% off currently).

I'm going to be using this notebook beside my desktop rig 99% of the time (plugged into AC) and the other times I'm only going to be moving around the house or do the occasional wardriving.

I feel i need a notebook also because i hate having to sit and use 1 computer and 1 monitor while playing games and having to alt tab every 10 seconds to watch IRC,manage torrents, or browse the web.

as far as gaming, I'm going to be using this notebook for some older games (mainly World of warcraft and emulators,etc.)

I do like how the XPS has a TV tuner, so that i can watch TV while i play games / do something else on my desktop, but i can just get an express card TV tuner for the T61p, can't i?

I only want to upgrade every 6-10 years, and only then when the laptop costs more then $400+ to repair outside of warrenty, performance wise i know that is a LONG time, but i'm really only using this to browse the web/watch TV/ other light things, if fans and HDDS burn out thats acceptable but i don't want any catastrophic failures that require me to get a new notebook all together (motherboard crapping out,video card dieing, overheating,etc.), so i need something with a good build quality.

THIS LAPTOP IS GOING TO BE ON 24/7.
so heat is going to be an issue in the long run, i will leave it on during the day while using it then just put the LCD into hibernate mode (or power saving, whatever its called) when i go to bed.

My ideal resolution will probably be WSXGA+ @ 1680x1050

I want to spend around $2100 dollars before tax, the lower the better obviously.

Here are the laptops i have picked out so far, I'm open to suggestions on different/parts/brands/whatever , so lemme hear it :)

Dell XPS 1530

Intel® Core™ 2 Duo Processor T7500 (2.2GHz/800Mhz FSB, 4MB Cache)
Genuine Windows Vista® Ultimate Edition
System Color and LCD cover Pattern Tuxedo Black
2GB Shared Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 667MHz (2 Dimms)
High Resolution glossy widescreen 15.4 inch LCD(1680x1050) & 2MP Camera
256MB NVIDIA® GeForce™ 8600M GT
Label Windows Vista™ Premium
200GB 7200RPM SATA Hard Drive
8X CD/DVD burner (DVD+/-RW) with double-layer DVD+R write capability
Integrated Sound Blaster Audigy HD Software Edition
Intel Next-Gen Wireless-N Mini-card
56 WHr 6-cell Lithium Ion Primary Battery
3 Year Return to Depot Service, Complete Care, Technical Support with Lojack
PROCESSOR BRANDING MOD,LBL,INTEL,NB,MEROM
Dell Wireless 355 Bluetooth Internal (2.0+Enhanced Data Rate), for XPSM1530
AVerTV Hybrid NanoExpress ATSC TV Tuner w/ Media Center Remote Control

Total $2,029 before tax.

And here is the Lenovo

ThinkPad T61 15 Widescreen - 1 Yr Depot Warranty
Intel Core 2 Duo processor T9300 (2.5GHz 800MHz 6MBL2)[1]
Genuine Windows Vista Home Premium[12]
15.4 WSXGA+ TFT
NVIDIA Quadro FX 570M 256MB
2 GB PC2-5300 DDR2 (2 DIMM)[8]
Integrated fingerprint reader
100GB Hard Disk Drive, 7200rpm[4]
CD-RW/DVD-ROM, Ultrabay Slim[5]
UltraNav (TrackPoint and TouchPad)
PC Card & Express Card Slots* (can chose either express card or smart card slots)
4 in 1 Media Card Reader
Intel Wireless WiFi Link 4965AGN (US/CAN/LA/AP)
6 cell Li-Ion Battery[60]
1 Year Depot/Express Warranty
3 Year EasyServ + 3 Year ThinkPad Protection for 3 Year EasyServ ThinkPad
ThinkPad and IdeaPad 90W Slim AC/DC Combo Adapter (back up, in case i need to use in the car)
90W AC Adapter; NA, LA, (2pin) (comes with system)
ThinkPad Essential Port Replicator

Total = $2,064 before tax.

Also, i don't know if i actually NEED a port replicator ... i can drop $200 off the Lenovo price if i don't, can i even use a port replicator WITHOUT the laptop battery installed?

also the Lenovo has 2 options for expansion bays with Express cards and smart cards (i don't know the difference, only expansion card ill ever end up using is probably a TV tuner) so what flavor should i get?

Thanks for your help :)

After some thinking, i just cant let this deal pass ... its to good to be true.

Intel Core 2 Duo processor T9300 (2.5GHz 800MHz 6MBL2)
Genuine Windows Vista Home Basic
15.4 WSXGA+ TFT
2 GB PC2-5300 DDR2 (2 DIMM)
US English Keyboard
200GB HDD, 7200rpm with Disk Encryption
CD-RW/DVD-ROM, Ultrabay Slim
4 in 1 Media Card Reader
Integrated Bluetooth PAN
6 cell Li-Ion Battery
90W AC Adapter; NA, LA, (2pin)

Total = $1,392 (before tax) w/ E-coupon code applied

*note* i did drop the dock and extra AC/DC adapter because i would probably not end up using them much.

i do have some questions though ...

1)should i stay with 1650x1050 .. or should i just pay the extra $150 for 1920x1200?

2)the hard drive has "disk encryption" ... can someone explain this to me? google isn't being very helpful

3) i have the option of having PC card + express card, or paying $18 more for PC card + smart card ... express card is the current standard, correct?

I'm so close to pulling the trigger, just thought i would make one last post before doing so to get some more feedback.

You would want express card plus pc card. Smart Card is used with Smart Cards for things like login and such. I'm pretty sure the disk encryption is just a way of safe guarding your hard drive "24" style:D

Intel Core 2 Duo processor T9300 (2.5GHz 800MHz 6MBL2)
Genuine Windows Vista Home Basic
15.4 WSXGA+ TFT
2 GB PC2-5300 DDR2 (2 DIMM)
US English Keyboard
200GB HDD, 7200rpm with Disk Encryption
CD-RW/DVD-ROM, Ultrabay Slim
4 in 1 Media Card Reader
Integrated Bluetooth PAN
6 cell Li-Ion Battery
90W AC Adapter; NA, LA, (2pin)

Total = $1,392 (before tax) w/ E-coupon code applied

*note* i did drop the dock and extra AC/DC adapter because i would probably not end up using them much.

i do have some questions though ...

1)should i stay with 1650x1050 .. or should i just pay the extra $150 for 1920x1200?

2)the hard drive has "disk encryption" ... can someone explain this to me? google isn't being very helpful

3) i have the option of having PC card + express card, or paying $18 more for PC card + smart card ... express card is the current standard, correct?

I'm so close to pulling the trigger, just thought i would make one last post before doing so to get some more feedback.

Last edited by nadesico158 : Yesterday at 03:07 PM. Reason: added cupon code

============================================
Hi Nadesico, I only registered to talk to you.

I am interested in this computer too. It seems great for the money. You also mention an "E-Coupon." Can you tell / help me how can I get one at the same price?

I've been checking the Dell website "building" computers, etc... But the computers are nothing compared to this one you are buying, for that kind of money.

TIA
elrico109

not a bad deal...but I dont see anything making me bustle or jump out of my shirt.........

why no dvd burner in there.......you want to just burn cds only and just play dvds?

for that size screen.....1650X1050 is great and I would not go beyond (u sure they offer 1920X1200 in that size screen 15 inch?)

1920x1200 is indeed offered on the T61.

There's a coupon up at ecoupons.com for 10% off the T-series, on top of the sale price. If you'd ordered by yesterday, you'd have been able to get another 10% off.

I feel i need a notebook also because i hate having to sit and use 1 computer and 1 monitor while playing games and having to alt tab every 10 seconds to watch IRC,manage torrents, or browse the web.
Have you considered saving a lot of money by adding a second LCD onto your gaming rig?

A dual-monitor setup would let you do this quite easily. If the above reason is your major one, I'd say go dual-monitor. Run the game on one, and the rest of your apps on the other.

Back