Tips for more speed?

V0ltage

[H]ard|Gawd
I know a pretty good deal about overclocking, and I know that my processor has a pretty crappy stepping (P4 2.4B stepping B0),
but I think I should be able to o/c more. I pretty much can't get above 2.8ghz no matter what I do. Ive even tried putting the voltage well over 1.6 and the best I can do is get it to post at 2.9 but it wont go into windows :(. Anything I could be overlooking or am I just SOL?

are you sure it is the chip that is holding back your overclock?

I assume you've adjusted voltages of everything from NB, CPU and RAM. Tried different ratios and timings for the ram.
I'll also assume you've got a good PSU to work with (Antec, Enermax, PCP&C, etc).

Have you tried the chip in a different motherboard??? Or tried a different chip in your motherboard??? Could be something with the board itself.

I had a 2.4B that would do a stable 3.3Ghz on air @1.6v. I could post at 3.5Ghz, but wouldn't load windows.

you most likely has a P4B with C1 stepping, a friend of mine has one of them but he wont trade with me and i even offered to pay him, and he dosnt even overclock :mad:
ive tried messing with all the ram dividers and voltages and I have great cooling on my cpu and northbridge, i havent tried upping the northbridge voltage, but my mobo says that it supports a 666fsb so that shouldnt be a problem.
and i also have an antec 350W, which should be enough.
Maybe updating the bios could help?
bah i really want my friends C1....

Does he ever leave his computer "unattended"???

Do the ol' switcheroo and he'll never notice (well, unless he likes to frequently check his stepping):eek:

My NB voltage was 1.55v.

you can try a bios update, but I doubt that will help any.

this kid wouldnt know if i swapped out his comp for an emachine...
i really need to convince him to switch with me...

Back