Titanfall's Massive PC Install Explained

I don't buy that it's uncompressed for weaker CPU's. Gaming PC's have enough horsepower. If they are wanting it to run on a laptop with an older mobile GPU and a Pentium 4, then sure. Otherwise, I'm sure modern PC's could handle it. People aren't going to try and run this on a P4 and a GeForce MX, are they?

Even the high res texture mods for Skyrim are a few GB and they are an optional install. Not 48GB. Your hyperbole is wrong.

Go add some mods and watch that HDD fill right up. Beautiful, though. Stunning. No complaints (other than my FPS...).

Same with FSX (Flight Simulator X). Base install is ~20 GB. My FSX folder was 500 GB last time I checked. Tons of new textures, planes, scenery, mesh, etc.. It adds up.

But, if it's that big of a difference for just audio on a stock install? Hmmm.... Not so sure if I'd be happy with that.

Go add some mods and watch that HDD fill right up. Beautiful, though. Stunning. No complaints (other than my FPS...).

Same with FSX (Flight Simulator X). Base install is ~20 GB. My FSX folder was 500 GB last time I checked. Tons of new textures, planes, scenery, mesh, etc.. It adds up.

But, if it's that big of a difference for just audio on a stock install? Hmmm.... Not so sure if I'd be happy with that.
My Skyrim install, which might I remind you is an open world RPG instead of a competitive online FPS, is 13.9GB. That's with 30 mods and the official high resolution texture pack. Even if I installed the add-on 2K texture mods, I wouldn't break 20GB.

Titanfall is 48GB because they packaged uncompressed audio FOR ALL LANGUAGES into the base game download. People aren't complaining simply because of the size of the install but because it's completely unwarranted that it be as large as it is. If Titanfall was 48GB because it shipped with 150 maps using 4K textures I don't think people would be nearly as upset.

Is that a fact that all language files are in the base install or theory?

Anyhow, my ps4 download of klank or klak or whatever it's called I bought over the holidays for my kids was 40GB download. I don't understand why there is so much bitching about it.

This is just your typical console BS and lazy developers. Could be the result of it being rushed to market and they left it how it was on console. Reminds me of Metal Gear Solid port to PC which was like 20+ GB when typical PC games were under 5GB and it turned out to be due to all sounds being in WAV. I had a good laugh at it but point still stood that it's wasting tons of space for nothing. Now days with SSD drives it really sucks to waste space for this crap.

I dont understand how studios can push out such un-optimized software nowadays all because you can download it digitally. Sorry but there isnt such a thing as unlimited bandwidth anymore no matter what company your broadband is with either lol

48GB is silly though even Very high setting on MP3 or other forma can make WAV file 90% smaller with little loss in sound (unless you got an 7.1 super precise professional setup with test equipment monitoring it)

Back